• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to start a thread on raising multiples and would love to hear your experiences, advice and fun stories!

I have two year old twins and it's been quite the ride so far with two high energy toddlers running around! Currently, I'm trying to figure out how best to navigate disciplining them. Does anyone have tips for this stage? I want to make sure I'm being fair but also consistent especially because they are so close in age!

Also any fun activities that you do with your multiples would be great to hear about - always looking for new ideas! We're at the stage where keeping them entertained and stimulated is key but it's getting harder and harder as they become more mobile!

• Wow
Reactions: nature
Hello everyone, I wanted to start a thread on raising multiples and would love to hear your experiences, advice and fun stories!

I have two year old twins and it's been quite the ride so far with two high energy toddlers running around! Currently, I'm trying to figure out how best to navigate disciplining them. Does anyone have tips for this stage? I want to make sure I'm being fair but also consistent especially because they are so close in age!

Also any fun activities that you do with your multiples would be great to hear about - always looking for new ideas! We're at the stage where keeping them entertained and stimulated is key but it's getting harder and harder as they become more mobile!
I also have 2-year old twins and can relate so much! Discipline is a hard one as I feel like all my effort to be fair ends up in confusion and tantrums!

What works sometimes is redirecting their attention to a shared interest. For example, if they are both misbehaving while we're out, I'll quickly squat down and ask them to point at things they see that are the same colour as their shirt - it's a quick distraction method but it helps buy me some time to calm them down and explain why we can't do certain things.

As for keeping them entertained, I got a couple of cheap scarfs from the dollar store and practice Scarf Jaywalking with them! It's a great sensory play and keeps them busy for quite some time especially if you do it with them!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and luciana

Hey there, parent of twins here! Just want to chime in with a few thoughts on your questions, hope it helps!

Disciplining doubles the trouble, so consistency is indeed the key! What has been working for me is to lay down the same rules and expectations for both, and give rewards or punishments based on their individual behaviors. So if one kid gets a sticker for good behavior, the other doesn't get jealous since they both have the opportunity to earn it too. Also important to dish out consequences immediately, especially for young'uns like ours who have short memories!

For keeping them entertained, I've been taking them to the park often. Singapore has some great playgrounds which are quite challenging for their agility and sense of adventure. We also do at-home dance sessions with kid-friendly YouTube videos - think Tot Rock Star Yoga, or anything by Cocomelon - they love anything with visuals and music! Home-made obstacle courses are a hit too, using cushions, blankets, and anything else I can grab around the house. Sets up quite the little adventure for their imaginations, and tires them out fairly well too.

What else? Oh yes, car trips! Almost forgot about those. Short drives with sing-alongs and scenic detours can be fun, or if you've got somewhere further to go, a road trip with kid-friendly playlists could work too.

I'm sure most of us with multiples would agree that it's double the work, but also double the joy! So feel free to share any cute twin moments or any other challenges you're facing, would love to hear them!

Oh gosh, disciplining twins must be challenging indeed! I have much respect for parents of multiples who have to deal with tot-wrangling on another level!

As a yoga instructor who also has two kids myself (though not twins), my approach would probably be to keep them engaged with nature and movement. Have you tried taking them to the park for some good old running-around time or even a nearby rainforest or beach? Getting them to help you gather sticks or rocks and then having a little competition of some kind could be fun - like seeing who can find the smoothest pebble or something. A scavenger hunt could work too, and you can make it a learning experience by getting them to identify different shapes, colors, or even scents! Just make sure you're stocked up on bug spray and sunscreen!

As for keeping them stimulated at home, I find that simple yoga poses or little stretching exercises could be a fun activity. Kids love animal poses like downward facing dog or cat-cow, and of course, they can take turns being the teacher! It's a great way to wear them out too so that they're ready for their nap time. 😉

I'm sure you're already doing an amazing job! It's definitely not easy raising two at the same time but the rewards are doubled too, I'm sure!

Reactions: cissy

My advice: keep them occupied with different activities but don't over-stimulate. Otherwise, you'll have two hyperactive monsters on your hands. And good luck discerning who did what!

As for discipline, it's tougher with twins cause they can easily gang up and manipulate your emotions - been there, felt that! Be firm and consistent with your rules and punishments because, trust me, they will test your resolve. Make sure your disciplinary actions are age-appropriate though. And never punish them physically or mentally. That's my two cents.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu