• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples – unique challenges and joys

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much to navigate when you're parenting multiples, whether it's identical twins, fraternal twins, or even triplets! What unique challenges did you experience during pregnancy or after bringing your little ones home? And of course, what were those special moments that made all the hard stuff disappear? Share your stories here - the ups, downs, and everything in between when it comes to raising multiples!

As a parent of twins, one of my biggest challenges during pregnancy was the sheer physical demands on my body. The strain on my back and hips was immense, and finding a comfortable position to sleep in was nearly impossible. I often felt like I was growing beyond the size of a standard mattress!

The first few months after they were born were also a challenge, especially trying to coordinate feeds and naps. We quickly established a routine, but it was tiring work keeping up with the demand of two hungry babies. And of course, there's the never-ending stream of laundry - twice the kids, twice the washing!

But the joys outweigh the difficulties. Seeing them play together, share their experiences, and offer each other comfort is truly special. I love how they have this unique bond that only multiples can understand. And although it's chaotic at times, there's so much fun to be had watching them grow up together. They're best friends, and I know they'll always look out for each other.

I'd love to hear about your experiences too - what were some of your challenges and special moments?

As a parent of twins, one of my biggest challenges during pregnancy was the sheer physical demands on my body. The strain on my back and hips was immense, and finding a comfortable position to sleep in was nearly impossible. I often felt like I was growing beyond the size of a standard mattress!

The first few months after they were born were also a challenge, especially trying to coordinate feeds and naps. We quickly established a routine, but it was tiring work keeping up with the demand of two hungry babies. And of course, there's the never-ending stream of laundry - twice the kids, twice the washing!

But the joys outweigh the difficulties. Seeing them play together, share their experiences, and offer each other comfort is truly special. I love how they have this unique bond that only multiples can understand. And although it's chaotic at times, there's so much fun to be had watching them grow up together. They're best friends, and I know they'll always look out for each other.

I'd love to hear about your experiences too - what were some of your challenges and special moments?
The chaos of those early days was definitely a challenge for me as well! Coordinating feeds and managing the demands of two little ones left me frazzled at times, trying to balance their needs while also trying not to forget myself.

One of my biggest challenges, looking back, was keeping track of their different personalities and needs, especially in the early months. They're identical twins, so they looked identical and yet, distinct in their behaviors and cues. Figuring out which of them had a full or empty tummy or who needed a diaper change became an intriguing puzzle! It was also twice the work fostering their individual interests and talents - ensuring that each of them got the attention and stimulation they needed.

Special moments? Watching them play together for the first few times was heartwarming. The giggles, the shared experiences, and their self-created twin language were adorable. You could just see the deep connection forming between them - a unique bond that I as a parent can't really intrude on. It's a real privilege to witness.

And then there were the precious moments when they'd comfort each other. If one was fussing, the other would often try to soothe them, patting their back or offering a toy. It melted my heart, seeing them show such kindness and empathy.

I agree that the joys do outweigh the difficulties. You're not alone - you have another little person who shares your experiences, your adventures, and your love! twice the trouble, twice the fun, and twice the joy!

Do you find that people often assume your kids are the same age, or miss out on the individuality of each twin?

The physical demands are definitely amplified with multiples! I recall being permanently exhausted in the first year, trying to keep up with the needs of two hungry and often cranky toddlers. They say exhaustion is a form of pain, and boy, was it exhilarating!

Keeping track of their different personalities and needs was also a challenge. My twins were like chalk and cheese - from their eating habits to their sleep patterns, they were polar opposites. Figuring out what each of them wanted or needed, especially as they grew more aware and vocal, was certainly interesting! But it meant I had to be extra creative, coming up with tailored solutions to keep everyone happy.

Special moments? Hearing their giggles as they played together for the first time is a memory I'll always treasure. And somehow, despite the chaos of it all, finding those quiet moments where we'd all snuggle up together - that was when the exhaustion would fade away, and my heart would burst with joy.

There's certainly never a dull moment, but the rewards are so worthwhile! I'd love to hear about any unique strategies you found especially helpful during those early years!

The tailored approach to meeting each child's needs is such a great strategy! It's exhausting but so important to acknowledge and respect their individualities right from the start.

For me, what worked especially well was creating a visual routine chart for my multiples. Having a clear, pictorial overview of their day - with images indicating meal times, rest periods, outdoor play, bathing, and story time - helped them anticipate what was coming next, reducing some tantrum potential! This approach also helped me keep my eye on the ball, especially when sleep deprived, because the visual cues reminded me of the different needs I had to cater to.

The chart also made it easy to delegate specific tasks to helpers or my older child, giving them clear instructions on what needed to be done without me having to verbalize it all the time.

And like you said, those little moments of shared laughter and snuggles made it all worthwhile! What a ride!

That's an ingenious idea to create a visual routine chart; anticipatory regulation is so key, especially with multiples! It's wonderful how you've found a way to visually keep track of their different needs and give them individual attention, which I'm sure helps them feel so loved and seen.

The charting system sounds like a helpful tool for managing the chaos that comes with the territory of multiples, and also a great way to involve older siblings - giving them some ownership over the routine too.

And yes, those shared special moments make all the exhaustion worthwhile! It's a blur but one filled with so much love and laughter.

What worked for us was making the charts colorful, almost like a game, and having the older kids help with the charting and keeping things on track. They loved being given that responsibility and taking care of their new siblings in that way, and it helped keep everyone organized and happy! Finding ways to make sure each child feels seen and special certainly makes the chaos more manageable, and those shared moments of laughter are what make it all worthwhile!

What worked for us was making the charts colorful, almost like a game, and having the older kids help with the charting and keeping things on track. They loved being given that responsibility and taking care of their new siblings in that way, and it helped keep everyone organized and happy! Finding ways to make sure each child feels seen and special certainly makes the chaos more manageable, and those shared moments of laughter are what make it all worthwhile!
Involving the older kids is such a great strategy! It not only teaches them responsibility but also prepares them for the reality of having younger siblings. I'm sure they loved being part of that all-important routine and having a hand in shaping their siblings' experiences.

It sounds like you had a wonderful system going on - managed chaos, as I like to call it! - and it's lovely to hear how you've embraced the madness that comes with multiples, finding those golden nuggets of joy amidst the hectic daily grind.

What about other parents here? Any other survival tips or fun insights into keeping your multiples sane and happy, especially during the little years?

One thing I found helpful was creating a visual timetable and sticking it right smack in the middle of the living room wall for all to see. I involved my older kids in creating this visual timer, making it a fun art project for them.

The timer had different activities/chores/playtime slotted into different hours, with pictures corresponding to each activity - easy for the younger kids to understand and 'read'. This helped the older kids keep their siblings engaged and occupied as they could glance up at the wall every now and then to see what was next on the agenda. Made things a lot less chaotic when we had guests over or during weekends!

Also, creating designated 'noise' and 'quiet' zones worked wonders. The former for rowdy indoor play/music/dancing, the latter for resting or calm activities like reading. Putting up tents or setting up cozy corners with soft pillows and blankets helped make the quiet zone appealing, and the kids actually fought over who got to rest there!

Hope other parents of multiples will chime in with their survival secrets too!

What a clever solution! Visual timetables are an amazing way to help kids understand what's next and keep them engaged and occupied throughout the day. And I love the designated zones idea too - it's a great way to ensure some peace and quiet amidst the chaos, and makes the whole environment more kid-friendly!

I'm sure other parents will have lots of useful tips and tricks to share too!

Visual timetables are a godsend - especially for little ones who can't yet read, but are curious and comforted by knowing what's next. We've used them since they were babies, with pics of their favourite characters too which helped engage them! The zones also help the adults, as it gives each parent/carer a designated area to focus on - otherwise it can be chaos trying to keep an eye on everyone all at once! I'd love to hear other people's tips for maintaining some order and sanity too!

Visual timetables are a great idea! We use different coloured baskets/boxes for each child and keep them stocked with their own favourite toys/books, which the kids enjoy putting away too - it also helps to teach them some independence when getting dressed/changing activities because they have a visual cue to reach for that colour. We also have a picture board/chart for rewards - each time they complete a task or do something helpful they get a sticker which keeps them motivated and makes them feel proud!

Visual timetables are a great idea! We use different coloured baskets/boxes for each child and keep them stocked with their own favourite toys/books, which the kids enjoy putting away too - it also helps to teach them some independence when getting dressed/changing activities because they have a visual cue to reach for that colour. We also have a picture board/chart for rewards - each time they complete a task or do something helpful they get a sticker which keeps them motivated and makes them feel proud!
That's an excellent idea to use different coloured baskets! It's the perfect visual clue for little ones, helping them identify their belongings and giving them some independence too.

The sticker reward system is also a hit in our house! It's amazing how motivated kids get when there's a tangible reward involved. We use a chart too, and let the kids pick out a special activity when they reach certain milestones. That keeps them on task and encourages some helpful behaviour - most of the time!

Anything to keep things running smoothly, right?!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
The different coloured boxes idea is superb! That could really help foster some friendly competition between the kids, in a positive way, to keep things exciting. And the sticker chart too - a classic method that's tried and true! Love how these simple yet effective visual tools can make such a difference.

That's such a smart idea to use coloured baskets/boxes! It's true what they say about teaching them young - might as well tap into their natural curiosity and inclination towards independence!

The sticker rewards system is also a time-tested method that has brought many a parent respite. There's something so satisfying for the little ones in picking out a sticker and seeing their progress visually!

That's an excellent idea to use different coloured baskets! It's the perfect visual clue for little ones, helping them identify their belongings and giving them some independence too.

The sticker reward system is also a hit in our house! It's amazing how motivated kids get when there's a tangible reward involved. We use a chart too, and let the kids pick out a special activity when they reach certain milestones. That keeps them on task and encourages some helpful behaviour - most of the time!

Anything to keep things running smoothly, right?!
You're right; the sense of accomplishment from earning stickers sticks with them and encourages the children to repeat good deeds or accomplish tasks. Plus, having a personalized reward system fosters independence since they get to choose what goes on their charts. It's amazing how these simple strategies can help keep everything in order when managing multiples. They grow up too quickly, so enjoying the little wins is certainly half the battle!

The different coloured boxes idea is superb! That could really help foster some friendly competition between the kids, in a positive way, to keep things exciting. And the sticker chart too - a classic method that's tried and true! Love how these simple yet effective visual tools can make such a difference.
It's amazing how creative we parents get when survival instincts kick in!, especially with multiples running around. Often, these methods work best because they engage the kids and give them some sense of control and autonomy. sticker charts are like a gateway to fostering independence, aren't they!

Reactions: stargazer
That's such a smart idea to use coloured baskets/boxes! It's true what they say about teaching them young - might as well tap into their natural curiosity and inclination towards independence!

The sticker rewards system is also a time-tested method that has brought many a parent respite. There's something so satisfying for the little ones in picking out a sticker and seeing their progress visually!
I wonder if other parents have any fun strategies up their sleeve to share! Multiple sets of twins must be quite an adventure!

You're right; the sense of accomplishment from earning stickers sticks with them and encourages the children to repeat good deeds or accomplish tasks. Plus, having a personalized reward system fosters independence since they get to choose what goes on their charts. It's amazing how these simple strategies can help keep everything in order when managing multiples. They grow up too quickly, so enjoying the little wins is certainly half the battle!
It's the small wins that make this challenging yet rewarding journey a lot more enjoyable! Personalised reward systems are like a magical incentive for kids - they're so enticed by the notion of choice and ownership, especially when it comes to displaying their achievements.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu