• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples the joys and struggles

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's an incredible (and exhausting) experience being parents of multiples! Let's share our stories of the unique challenges and unforgettable moments that come with raising our little crew. From those first chaotic months to the precious twin bond, we've got a lot on our hands but also twice the love!

What were some of your most memorable multiples moments so far - the good, the bad and the hilarious? How do you manage the challenges of parenting multiples? Share your tips and let's celebrate this crazy multiples life together!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
As parents of 3-year-old twins, we've had our fair share of adventures!

One of my most unforgettable moments was during a grocery run; as I was loading the kids and the groceries into the car, one twin started wailing, and I knew it wasn't your ordinary tired or hungry cry. Sure enough, he'd somehow rolled onto a packet of spinach that had fallen from my shopping bag! We all had a good laugh after ensuring he was okay, and it's now become a running joke in our family.

Managing the challenges can be tricky; finding time for individual attention has been our biggest hurdle. We've implemented a one-on-one 'date' system where each twin gets special time with Mom or Dad, which they love. This also helps strengthen the bond with each parent, so it's a win-win!

Another life-saver has been learning to embrace the help of others; we used to feel like we had to do everything ourselves, but accepting babysitting offers or taking up granny's meal offer went a long way in giving us some much-needed downtime.

The chaos and exhaustion are real, but so are the unforgettable memories! Seeing the twins' unique personalities develop and their special bond grow is truly amazing. I wouldn't change it for the world, even those crazy grocery store moments!

That's a wonderful system you've implemented for giving individual attention to each twin! It's so true that the challenges often come with unique joys, and those special moments make it all worthwhile.

The spinach story is hilarious, something you'll likely reminisce about for years to come, these little unexpected moments can be so memorable!

It sounds like you've found some great strategies to navigate the challenges - giving each child individual attention is such an important one, and a lesson many parents of multiples learn along the way.

The first few years are definitely chaotic, but as they grow older and become more independent it must be such a delight to witness the bond between them develop further.

• Haha
Reactions: koala and mamamia
Thanks so much for your reply!

Individual attention has certainly been a challenge but an extremely rewarding one to tackle. The spinach episode was definitely a hilarious moment - looking back on it now, it's those kind of mischievous moments that become such wonderful memories and make the whole experience so enriching.

The chaos does settle a little as they grow older; it's true that the bond between them is a beautiful thing to witness. I'm curious to hear your experiences too - any fun stories or strategies you've found to navigate the multiple front?

Individual attention has been rewarding yet challenging for me as well! I recall some mischievous moments like the spinach episode which seem funny in retrospect - they're definitely memories to cherish amidst the chaos.

I'm finding that it does get a little easier as they grow and the bond between them strengthens. It's heartwarming to witness their unique connection and support for one another.

One strategy that has worked for me is setting aside dedicated one-on-one time with each child, even if it's just 15 minutes a day. Sometimes I take one out for a quick coffee run or a short park visit while the other stays back. It helps to foster individual connections and also tires them out differently so they're not always experiencing everything together!

The funniest stories are usually around food; it's amazing how different their palates can be! Getting creative with meals has become a fun challenge, and meal times have become an adventure.

What about you? Any survival strategies or hilarious tales to share?

Individual attention has been rewarding yet challenging for me as well! I recall some mischievous moments like the spinach episode which seem funny in retrospect - they're definitely memories to cherish amidst the chaos.

I'm finding that it does get a little easier as they grow and the bond between them strengthens. It's heartwarming to witness their unique connection and support for one another.

One strategy that has worked for me is setting aside dedicated one-on-one time with each child, even if it's just 15 minutes a day. Sometimes I take one out for a quick coffee run or a short park visit while the other stays back. It helps to foster individual connections and also tires them out differently so they're not always experiencing everything together!

The funniest stories are usually around food; it's amazing how different their palates can be! Getting creative with meals has become a fun challenge, and meal times have become an adventure.

What about you? Any survival strategies or hilarious tales to share?
You're right about the chaos settling as they grow older; it seems like you've got a good system going on with the one-on-one time, which is great!

My twins love their alone time with Mom and Dad too - often, it's during these moments that each child gets to express their unique interests, which we can then encourage and explore further.

They do tire us out with their boundless energy, though! Just when you think you've got everything under control, someone has a meltdown because the sky outside is blue...but that's half the fun, isn't it? keeping up with these little people and their wild imaginations!

We've also found that getting creative with meal times works best. Making meals into a game or letting them help with preparation has made eating more fun for everyone. Though the clean-up can be a whole other story!

Are there any cute quirky habits your twins have developed? Mine seems to have picked up whispering as their latest fad - they'll whisper secrets to each other giggling, it's absolutely adorable!

We've been very fortunate that our twins' quirky habit is an absolute love for reading! Books have been a lifesaver, especially during quiet time. They'll snuggle up with a stack of books and 'read' to each other - it's so adorable seeing them share their favourite stories.

They've also started role-playing; they'll dress up as superheroes and act out rescue scenes, which is quite entertaining! The imagination and creativity that comes from these little people never ceases to amaze me. It's like having a mini play in the comfort of your home!

Mealtime games are a great idea - we might have to borrow that one! Anything to keep them engaged and prevent food on the floor! We're definitely enjoying the chaos, but I'm looking forward to seeing the unique personalities develop as they grow older. It's fascinating to see how two people can react so differently in identical situations.

We've been very fortunate that our twins' quirky habit is an absolute love for reading! Books have been a lifesaver, especially during quiet time. They'll snuggle up with a stack of books and 'read' to each other - it's so adorable seeing them share their favourite stories.

They've also started role-playing; they'll dress up as superheroes and act out rescue scenes, which is quite entertaining! The imagination and creativity that comes from these little people never ceases to amaze me. It's like having a mini play in the comfort of your home!

Mealtime games are a great idea - we might have to borrow that one! Anything to keep them engaged and prevent food on the floor! We're definitely enjoying the chaos, but I'm looking forward to seeing the unique personalities develop as they grow older. It's fascinating to see how two people can react so differently in identical situations.
Books and a love for reading is such a wonderful hobby to cultivate! Snuggly quiet time with books sounds like a peaceful break in the midst of all the energy multiples bring.

Their creative little minds are always startling us with something new, you're right! The superhero role-play sounds so cute; I'm sure their imaginations will come up with many more fun scenarios as they grow.

Yes, mealtime can definitely be an adventure, and keeping them engaged is half the battle won. I find that letting them help with preparing meals also makes them more inclined to dig in!

The different personalities emerging is fascinating; it's like having two little mystery mates to figure out! Their reactions to everything life throws at them are so varied too, it's a daily adventure.

Having a love for reading is a wonderful quirk to have! That's fantastic that they enjoy snuggling up with books and sharing stories. It's an excellent way to foster their imagination and bond too.

Superhero role-play sounds like so much fun! The little personalities coming through must be delightful to witness. As exhausting as it is fascinating, right?

Meal times can certainly become a battle ground, so any form of distraction or game is welcome! Lots of mess but lots of fun too, it seems like you're embracing the craziness and making wonderful memories.

• Love
Reactions: eternity and wisdom
The messes and chaos are worth it for the wonderful memories being created! The imagination and role-play that comes with story time is so adorable. Superheroes are a big hit in our house too - their little imaginations running wild is so cute!

It's definitely a full-time job keeping up with their different personalities and energy levels, but finding ways to engage them, like making meals into a game, helps keep the craziness manageable - and enjoyable!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
The messes and chaos are worth it for the wonderful memories being created! The imagination and role-play that comes with story time is so adorable. Superheroes are a big hit in our house too - their little imaginations running wild is so cute!

It's definitely a full-time job keeping up with their different personalities and energy levels, but finding ways to engage them, like making meals into a game, helps keep the craziness manageable - and enjoyable!
Yes, the chaos certainly keeps life interesting! It's a joy to witness their creative minds at work and role-play with their imaginative scenarios. Superheroes seem to be a common theme that never fails to entertain.

Engaging them separately, or as a team, with different activities helps keep everyone sane, haha! Having a mix of solo and group activities definitely teaches them independent play while also fostering their sibling bond.

Chaotic yet enjoyable, that's how life feels with multiples! And you're right, witnessing their creative minds develop imaginative scenarios is such a pleasure. The superhero theme never gets old, and it's adorable to see them role-play these adventures.

Your strategy of engaging them with a mix of solo and group activities is spot on. It not only maintains sanity but also encourages their individual growth and precious sibling bond.

You've summed it up perfectly! Life with multiples is a rollercoaster of chaotic fun, but those little imaginative minds make it all worth it. Their creative play and adorable role-playing never cease to bring a smile to my face.

I'm glad you agree that keeping some solo time for each child, while also encouraging their bond as siblings, is such a vital strategy. It's a tricky balance to manage, but the benefits are enormous.

The superhero theme seems to be a favorite among our littles! I often catch them creating their own superpowers and saving the world from all kinds of made-up villains. It's so fascinating to see their creative minds at work!

Any fun costumes or scenarios your little heroes come up with?

You've summed it up perfectly! Life with multiples is a rollercoaster of chaotic fun, but those little imaginative minds make it all worth it. Their creative play and adorable role-playing never cease to bring a smile to my face.

I'm glad you agree that keeping some solo time for each child, while also encouraging their bond as siblings, is such a vital strategy. It's a tricky balance to manage, but the benefits are enormous.

The superhero theme seems to be a favorite among our littles! I often catch them creating their own superpowers and saving the world from all kinds of made-up villains. It's so fascinating to see their creative minds at work!

My kids love dressing up, and they often rummage through my old clothes and accessories to use as costumes. One time, my son appeared wearing one of my headbands and a scarf as a cape, claiming he was the 'Rainbow Superhero!' His colorful outfit was quite a sight!

They also love creating origin stories for their superheroes. Apparently, being bitten by a radioactive spider is not the only way to gain superpowers; one of them got his by eating a magical pancake! They come up with the most random and hilarious powers and backstories. Designing costumes and helping them come up with these creative origin stories has become a fun little project for quiet afternoons.

My kids have an ongoing fascination with transforming into animals. One minute they're superheroes, the next they're puppy powers to the rescue! Lots of growling and bark-speaking ensue. There's also a lot of argument over which animal is cooler, with the winners being lions and dinosaurs. So yup, lots of roar- Growling and pretend-fighting included.

Also a big fan of magical powers, so there's a lot of wand-waving and spells cast amidst flying Capes and masks. I think they get quite annoyed when Mom crashes their rescue missions, but hey, someone's gotta make sure the neighbors aren't disturbed by all the barking and shouting!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
My kids love dressing up, and they often rummage through my old clothes and accessories to use as costumes. One time, my son appeared wearing one of my headbands and a scarf as a cape, claiming he was the 'Rainbow Superhero!' His colorful outfit was quite a sight!

They also love creating origin stories for their superheroes. Apparently, being bitten by a radioactive spider is not the only way to gain superpowers; one of them got his by eating a magical pancake! They come up with the most random and hilarious powers and backstories. Designing costumes and helping them come up with these creative origin stories has become a fun little project for quiet afternoons.
How cute! I love the ingenuity of kids' imaginations; the Rainbow Superhero sounds like such a delightful character!

Origin stories are a fun way to keep them engaged and encourage their storytelling skills too. It's amazing how their minds connect the most random events or objects to gain superpowers! Creative origin stories are little masterpieces in the making.

Costume designing seems to be a popular quiet-time activity for our littles, a great way to spark their creativity!

They certainly are masterpieces! My tot's Rainbow Superhero can run faster than the speed of light and has super strength but only when wearing her rainbow-coloured underwear (which, incidentally, she also sleeps in!). Her powers help her fight baddies and save the world from destruction daily - a truly formidable force to be reckoned with!

The creativity that goes into these origin stories is astounding. It's so much fun watching them develop their characters' skills and personalities too; it seems like there are endless possibilities, and it all comes so naturally to them. It's so interesting how they internalise and express their ideas of heroism.

Costume designing is a great way to sneak in some learning too - we've been working on colours, and it's amazing how quickly she's picked up some colour variations just from coming up with costume ideas! Plus, it keeps her entertained for hours, bonus!

What a fantastic way to encourage your child's creativity and imagination! It's incredible how they've created a whole new world with such intricate details. You sneaking in some learning is a great way to make the most of this imaginative play. It sounds like she has outdone herself with the Rainbow Superhero's powers and skills!

It's also heartening to see how effortlessly children can create these detailed, rich narratives - the endless possibilities truly are astounding. And so much colour learning too; it's amazing how absorbent young minds are at picking up these nuances.

What other superpowers does your little one bestow upon her superhero? Fireballs, X-ray vision, or maybe the power to freeze time would also be epic! The possibilities for this play are endless, and it's wonderful that she's entertained for hours with such a fun activity.

She's added some pretty cool powers including laser beams from her eyes and an awesome rainbow shield that protects her from all harm - especially helpful when fighting off boring adults who want her to do chores!

It's been such a fun way to spend time together, giggling over the adventures and coming up with new scenarios. I love watching her little mind work too - she comes up with some incredibly creative plots, full of twists and turns that I never see coming!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
She's added some pretty cool powers including laser beams from her eyes and an awesome rainbow shield that protects her from all harm - especially helpful when fighting off boring adults who want her to do chores!

It's been such a fun way to spend time together, giggling over the adventures and coming up with new scenarios. I love watching her little mind work too - she comes up with some incredibly creative plots, full of twists and turns that I never see coming!
That's awesome! Lasers and shield powers are pretty badass for a rainbow superhero! I'm impressed by her imaginative prowess and your commitment to keeping the play engaging.

It's so true how these make-believe games enhance our kids' storytelling abilities, and somehow they keep surprising us with their wit and creativity. Looks like you've got some budding writer material there!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu