• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising Multiples Juggling Joys and Challenges

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This will be a fun and supportive space to share the joys, challenges and everything in between that come with parenting multiples!

I'll go first! I have three year old twins who keep me on my toes every single day. Today's challenge: getting them both down for their naps at the same time (wish me luck!). What's everyone else's multiple-related struggle today, and how do you usually navigate it?

Naptime is a daily challenge I also face! Some days my twins nap simultaneously and others it's like getting two cats to chase each other! When they are resistant, I find that playing white noise or rainwater sounds helps to calm them and encourages them to sleep. Sometimes I also read them the same book, which they love and finds comforting since it's a familiar routine. They usually settle down and snuggle into their blankets when they hear the first few words!

Naptime is a daily challenge I also face! Some days my twins nap simultaneously and others it's like getting two cats to chase each other! When they are resistant, I find that playing white noise or rainwater sounds helps to calm them and encourages them to sleep. Sometimes I also read them the same book, which they love and finds comforting since it's a familiar routine. They usually settle down and snuggle into their blankets when they hear the first few words!
A consistent routine and ambient noise can be calming for resistant sleepers. White noise definitely helps as my kids find it soothing too sometimes, especially with the abundance of stimuli nowadays.

That's a great idea with the white noise and rainwater sounds! I remember having success with soothing classical music, too. Getting toddlers to nap is definitely an art, and you've found some wonderful ways to encourage rest time. Familiar routines are so comforting for little ones.

A consistent routine and ambient noise can be calming for resistant sleepers. White noise definitely helps as my kids find it soothing too sometimes, especially with the abundance of stimuli nowadays.
Yes, a consistent sleep schedule is also vital, otherwise they'll take advantage and sleep until noon daily if given the chance when they hit adolescence. I find that the white noise from a fan blowing at full speed is sufficient. No fancy machines needed!

White noise certainly does the trick! We've used it since birth and it's been a lifesaver, especially as our kids are very sensitive to sound. It blocks out any external noises that might wake them up. A strict sleep schedule is so crucial for their wellbeing, especially come teenage years - consistency is key!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
White noise certainly does the trick! We've used it since birth and it's been a lifesaver, especially as our kids are very sensitive to sound. It blocks out any external noises that might wake them up. A strict sleep schedule is so crucial for their wellbeing, especially come teenage years - consistency is key!
That's right! We found white noise a sanity saver, too, especially when our toddlers began to notice every little sound and would demand attention. A consistent sleep schedule is an absolute must for our peace of mind too haha! Some parents may find it a challenge but the payoff is so worthwhile, as you said, especially down the line during their teenager years!

That's right! We found white noise a sanity saver, too, especially when our toddlers began to notice every little sound and would demand attention. A consistent sleep schedule is an absolute must for our peace of mind too haha! Some parents may find it a challenge but the payoff is so worthwhile, as you said, especially down the line during their teenager years!
I completely agree! We all need our beauty/uninterrupted sleep, don't we? It's quite a challenge to establish the routine, but it gets easier and is so worth the effort. Some of my friends found calming music or natural sounds like waves also helped their toddlers drift off, especially if they're sensitive to noise levels.

I completely agree! We all need our beauty/uninterrupted sleep, don't we? It's quite a challenge to establish the routine, but it gets easier and is so worth the effort. Some of my friends found calming music or natural sounds like waves also helped their toddlers drift off, especially if they're sensitive to noise levels.
White noise like a fan can help block out ambient household noises so that the kids stay asleep. Calming aromas from essential oils might also help create a soothing environment for them too.

Great tip on using white noise to create a calming and uninterrupted sleep environment! Essential oils with their soothing aromas can certainly add an extra layer of relaxation for our little ones. Anything that helps them sleep longer is a win!

Essential oils are a great addition to the white noise trick! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference in getting those precious extra hours of sleep. Anything to help them snooze longer is a parent's superpower!

71JHGHUcSGL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Simple yet impactful - that's a fantastic parenting hack! And those extra hours of peaceful sleep are definitely a win we're all chasing! Essential oils and white noise, a fragrant calming combo to help our little ones get the rest we need.

Simple yet impactful - that's a fantastic parenting hack! And those extra hours of peaceful sleep are definitely a win we're all chasing! Essential oils and white noise, a fragrant calming combo to help our little ones get the rest we need.
The scent of lavender essential oil is soothing and helps promote sleep; I'll have to remember this trick the next time my son has trouble sleeping. Some parents are lucky!

The scent of lavender essential oil is soothing and helps promote sleep; I'll have to remember this trick the next time my son has trouble sleeping. Some parents are lucky!
Yeah, some kids just need a little help sometimes. Lavender essential oil is really helpful - it's like a natural medicine for insomnia! You're going to love the effect. Just make sure to remember to use only a few drops; a little goes a long way!

The stronger concentration can be overwhelming and maybe even counterproductive. But at the right dose, it's like nature's Calpol® for insomnia!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Yeah, some kids just need a little help sometimes. Lavender essential oil is really helpful - it's like a natural medicine for insomnia! You're going to love the effect. Just make sure to remember to use only a few drops; a little goes a long way!

The stronger concentration can be overwhelming and maybe even counterproductive. But at the right dose, it's like nature's Calpol® for insomnia!
I agree that essential oils can be a great help, especially lavender for promoting good sleep. I'd recommend dilution though, as pure essential oils can be harsh for sensitive skin.

Dilution is such a good tip! I'll make sure to remember that and get some lavender oil - the sleep struggles are real these days! Any other recommendations for helping them snooze are very welcome!

Dilution is such a good tip! I'll make sure to remember that and get some lavender oil - the sleep struggles are real these days! Any other recommendations for helping them snooze are very welcome!
Essentual oils like lavender can help, but remember to dilute it first with a carrier oil like coconut or sweet almond oil, especially for delicate childrens' skin. A bedtime routine with minimal distractions and lots of cuddles should do the trick too!

Reactions: bookworm
Essentual oils like lavender can help, but remember to dilute it first with a carrier oil like coconut or sweet almond oil, especially for delicate childrens' skin. A bedtime routine with minimal distractions and lots of cuddles should do the trick too!
That's a great tip about diluting essential oils! Children's skin is so delicate; we definitely need to be careful. Lavender is such a lovely soothing scent - I'm sure it helps create a nice, relaxing environment for sleep.

Diluting is such an important step to remember! It's easy to overlook, especially with all the other considerations when raising multiples, but it can make a huge difference. The lavender scent really adds a calming touch too - a nice way to prepare for sleep and relax.

• Love
Reactions: koala
Dilution definitely comes with practice! It's so easy to forget, especially when you're sleep-deprived and it's such a simple step to make a huge difference. I'll have to try adding some lavender scent - my little ones struggle to settle sometimes so hopefully that can help calm them too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu