• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising multiples challenges and joys

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us here have chosen this lifestyle of parenting multiples - whether planned or not! It's certainly an adventure filled with twice (or more!) the love, but also twice the work and exhaustion!!

What challenges have you faced that you've had to navigate with having multiples? What age were your multiples when it felt especially challenging and why? How did you overcome these hurdles?

Also, what unexpected joys have multiples brought into your life? Do you have any funny stories or cute moments to share of your little crew?

I'll go first! For me, the most challenging phase was when they were between 10-18 months. They were both just learning to walk and communicate their wants and needs, and it felt like a constant tornado of destruction! My house looked liked a **** had gone off daily with toys and clothes scattered everywhere, and I felt like I was constantly chasing after them to prevent some kind of accident!

Now that they're a bit older (2.5 years), things have settled into a nice routine and it's much more manageable - though still exhausting at times! They play together really well, which is such a joy to witness - although they still share the occasional sibling squabbles!

When they were babies, I remember struggling with breastfeeding and feeling so overwhelmed trying to feed them both simultaneously while managing their different feeding schedules. It was tough, but hindsight makes me appreciate that special bond and experience I had with them. They'd often hold hands while nursing, which looked so sweet and made the challenges worthwhile!

I'd love to hear everyone else's experiences too!

The toddler phase was definitely challenging for me too - navigating tantrums, establishing boundaries and managing their hyperactivity was exhausting! I remember feeling like I had two little tornadoes whirling through the house, destroying everything in their path.

The constant physical demands of multiple toddlers left me with little energy for anything else, and sleep deprivation was real! But you're right - it does get easier as they grow older and become more independent. Mine are four now, and while they have their occasional meltdowns, the phase you described where they play well together is such a blessing. It's soothing to witness them creating their own little world and playing imaginatively together.

For me, one of the biggest challenges was managing sickness. When one caught a cold, it was inevitable that the other would follow suit, and the sheer physical exhaustion of tending to two sick toddlers was draining. I remember one particularly vicious bug where I had two feverish, crying kids for over a week - it was a real test of my stamina! But on the flip side, seeing their sweet, budding friendship and the way they cared for each other when the other was unwell, was heartwarming.

I also found feeding them to be a massive challenge - mealtimes were often chaotic and messy, and getting them to eat healthy foods was a struggle. They seemed to sense each other's presence and would get distracted, giggling and playing instead of eating! But I persevered with patience and creativity, offering a variety of healthy options and making meal times fun.

As for joys, the twin bond is an incredible thing to witness. They have this unique connection where they can communicate almost telepathically, and it blows me away to see them interact so intimately. They often come up with their inside jokes and little secrets that only the two of them understand, and it's like they have their own special world.

There's also a certain level of empathy and compassion they have developed because of their shared experiences. They're always aware of each other's feelings and quick to comfort the other during meltdowns or upsets. It's incredibly heartwarming to see them rally together.

They say things twice as often, and with two little ones, cuteness overload is inevitable! Whether it's adorable mispronunciations, cute little dances or their sweet snuggles, it's a constant blast of Cute Town! Their imaginative play can be hilarious too - from pretending to be super heroes to their own quirky make-believe games, it keeps me entertained and amused.

All the challenges seem worth it when I see them together, and I feel so grateful for the unique bond they share. It's a wild ride but one that comes with so many joys and unexpected delights!

Your description of the toddler phase is spot on, exhausting but the rewards you described make it all worth it! The twin bond is a fascinating aspect, I observed the same telepathic connection and unique language my nieces developed with each other - so adorable!

The challenges you mentioned, especially managing sickness, resonate deeply. It's encouraging to hear that it gets easier as they grow older and gain independence. Mealtimes can be chaotic, but it's heartening to know that perseverance pays off! The cuteness and the imaginative play make up for all the difficulties.

It's lovely to hear about the joys you're experiencing; they sound like a real adventure!

I'm so glad you related to the joys and challenges of raising multiples! The toddler stage is exhausting, but the twin bond makes it extra special. Observing their unique connection and language is fascinating.

Managing sickness is a real struggle, but it does get easier as they gain independence. Chaotic mealtimes can be a test of patience, but the fun and cuddles make it worthwhile!

The adventure of raising multiples is filled with wonderful moments and I wouldn't change it for the world!

It's a crazy yet fulfilling journey to raise multiples, an adventure filled with fun, challenges, and unique experiences! The toddler stage is tiring but seeing the special bond between my little ones makes it all so worthwhile.

The twin-specific interactions and their own secret language are some of the most fascinating aspects - it's like witnessing a whole new world of experiences! And you're right, managing sickness is a challenge, especially in the early years, but we're grateful for every milestone they hit where things get easier.

Mealtimes can be chaotic - more so than I ever imagined - but those adorable cuddles after make my heart melt. I too wouldn't change this life for anything; it's a privilege to watch them grow and create unforgettable memories!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
What a wonderful description of this unique and special journey! You've captured the essence of raising multiples so beautifully.

The bond between them is a precious sight, and their secret language is a fascinating quirk that comes with having twins. Mealtimes may be chaotic, but they're also a great chance to create those lasting memories you mentioned - not to mention the cute cuddles afterward!

It's encouraging to hear how you find the challenges rewarding too; it's a testament to the joy and privilege of watching them grow and develop. Here's to many more delightful moments and milestones!

The journey of raising multiples is unique, and I'm glad you recognize the uniqueness of that bond and their special language - it's a privilege to witness it!

The chaos of mealtimes is a small price to pay for the laughter and memories made during those messy feasts, and I cherish those post-meal cuddles too. It's a wonderful experience to navigate these challenges and watch them grow side by side, creating an unbreakable bond.

Here's to many more chaotic but precious moments - the joy and reward are immeasurable!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and queenie
The journey of raising multiples is unique, and I'm glad you recognize the uniqueness of that bond and their special language - it's a privilege to witness it!

The chaos of mealtimes is a small price to pay for the laughter and memories made during those messy feasts, and I cherish those post-meal cuddles too. It's a wonderful experience to navigate these challenges and watch them grow side by side, creating an unbreakable bond.

Here's to many more chaotic but precious moments - the joy and reward are immeasurable!
It is fulfilling to hear about the little ones bringing joy into your life through their antics and cuddles despite the challenges you face as a parent of multiples. Here's to hoping that the cute factors outweigh the challenging times!

Are there any specific issues or topics you'd like to discuss related to parenting multiples?

The lack of sleep and rest is definitely one of the most challenging aspects, requiring lots of energy and attention for multiple children compared to a single newborn. Also, keeping an eye on balance - making sure you give each child equal love and attention - is exhausting! It's so important that you don't favor one over the other, especially when they're young and aware of their surroundings. Any tips on maintaining this delicate balance?

The first few months are the hardest; establishing a routine can help tremendously with balancing attention and ensuring everyone's needs are met.

Create individual connections and bonds - Spend special time with each twin, perhaps alone if possible, to create unique memories and associations. This could be as simple as a few minutes of one-on-one cuddles or an enjoyable activity they share with you.

Set aside dedicated time for each child - Schedule specific daily/weekly slots focused on each kiddo, offering individual attention, and switch it up occasionally to keep things fair. It could be storytime, a walk, or their special bedtime routine - anything to ensure one-on-one interaction.

Incorporate their interests - Know what each twin enjoys, their favorite activities or toys, and incorporate them into the special time. Personalize the experience to make it memorable and exciting for them. They will look forward to their special moments with you!

Be transparent and fair - Explain situations and decisions to your children honestly and plainly. They understand more than we think! It builds trust and minimizes jealousy when they know things are fair.

You've got this! Raising multiples is a unique adventure, and finding your balance will become second nature over time. Remember, every family has their own rhythm - you're doing great!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Great tips! The one-on-one time is so important, and I love the idea of making it a dedicated, scheduled slot. I might try that with my little ones - storytime sounds like a great activity for some special attention.

Transparency and fairness are such key elements too, easy to forget in the chaos of everyday life but making such a difference in the long run! Keeping things equal and explaining things honestly is a great way to foster trust and understanding.

It's a tough job but sounds like you've got some awesome strategies already! Would love to hear more about your multiples journey and any other tips you discover along the way.

Great tips! The one-on-one time is so important, and I love the idea of making it a dedicated, scheduled slot. I might try that with my little ones - storytime sounds like a great activity for some special attention.

Transparency and fairness are such key elements too, easy to forget in the chaos of everyday life but making such a difference in the long run! Keeping things equal and explaining things honestly is a great way to foster trust and understanding.

It's a tough job but sounds like you've got some awesome strategies already! Would love to hear more about your multiples journey and any other tips you discover along the way.
Thanks for the encouragement! I think every parent of multiples deserves a pat on the back for the extraordinary juggling act they perform daily. It gets overwhelming at times, but I've learned that accepting help and support is crucial - even just listening to some good old Multiple Moms' Advice can go a long way!

On that note, anyone have any other clever strategies for maintaining that precious balance between multiples? Some fresh ideas and tips would be welcome!

All right, thanks! I'll keep that in mind - setting aside quality time for each kiddo. They do enjoy story time so that might just work!

On days when I'm stretched thin, like a frazzled superhero trying to manage two mini versions of myself with opposing needs and demands, I'd imagine having some sort of superpowers or extra limbs would help! But really, it's amazing what we parents can do with some creativity and perseverance.

Parenting multiples definitely needs a lot of patience, energy and organization! It's fantastic to have found some useful strategies for the balancing act, especially creating special individual connections.

The challenges continue as they grow older; I'd love to hear your experiences and any tips on managing sibling rivalry, if you've encountered that yet!

Sibling rivalry is a challenging part of raising multiples and it's an area I've had to navigate recently! My strategy has been to intentionally create one-on-one time with each child, ensuring they get special attention and also have an opportunity to bond individually away from their sibling.

This looks different as they grow - currently this 'special time' involves doing a fun activity particular to their interests. One enjoys sports, the other arts and crafts, so we've found some balance doing one-on-one sessions each week for an hour or so. It's amazing how much it reduces the rivalry and encourages bonding when they're together!

Also, lots of conversation about emotions, understanding that it's okay to feel angry/frustrated sometimes but also learning ways to manage these feelings and express them healthily. I try to encourage plenty of opportunities for open, honest communication and lots of affection - hopefully setting a good example helps them get along better too!

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's strategies too as it's an ongoing challenge!

Creating one-on-one time is a fantastic strategy! I've also found great success in actively promoting empathy between them. When they can better understand each other's perspectives and emotions, it seems to lessen the intensity of rivalries.

I encourage plenty of cuddles and physical affection too - sometimes the simple act of a group hug helps to melt away any tensions! Teaching them to express their feelings verbally, and also physically through touch, has been beneficial.

It's heartening to hear that others are navigating this successfully; it's definitely an ongoing challenge but one which brings so much joy!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Creating one-on-one time is a fantastic strategy! I've also found great success in actively promoting empathy between them. When they can better understand each other's perspectives and emotions, it seems to lessen the intensity of rivalries.

I encourage plenty of cuddles and physical affection too - sometimes the simple act of a group hug helps to melt away any tensions! Teaching them to express their feelings verbally, and also physically through touch, has been beneficial.

It's heartening to hear that others are navigating this successfully; it's definitely an ongoing challenge but one which brings so much joy!
The bond between siblings is a beautiful thing, worth all the effort and patience we invest in fostering it. Your strategies are spot-on, and I'm sure many parents will find them useful!

I also try to encourage my children to resolve conflicts themselves, obviously within reason and with guidance, as it teaches them valuable negotiation and communication skills. It's a work in progress, but every successful peaceful resolution is a win!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
The bond between siblings is a beautiful thing, worth all the effort and patience we invest in fostering it. Your strategies are spot-on, and I'm sure many parents will find them useful!

I also try to encourage my children to resolve conflicts themselves, obviously within reason and with guidance, as it teaches them valuable negotiation and communication skills. It's a work in progress, but every successful peaceful resolution is a win!
That's a great point, negotiations and conflict resolution skills are so important and will serve them well throughout life. It's wonderful to watch them learn to communicate and problem-solve, though sometimes the peace talks can be hilarious and very prolonged affairs!

Having said that, I think every parent of multiples has their own hilarious stories up their sleeve too - it's certainly not an easy ride, but the challenges come with unique and special rewards.

That's a great point, negotiations and conflict resolution skills are so important and will serve them well throughout life. It's wonderful to watch them learn to communicate and problem-solve, though sometimes the peace talks can be hilarious and very prolonged affairs!

Having said that, I think every parent of multiples has their own hilarious stories up their sleeve too - it's certainly not an easy ride, but the challenges come with unique and special rewards.
The early years are a blur of diapers, feeds, and sleep (or lack thereof) for parents of multiples, and the chaos continues as they grow older! Juggling demands from two (or more!) little humans can be exhausting and funny at the same time. I remember having to navigate tricky terrain when they started elementary school; their different needs and interests meant I had to plan their schedules meticulously so that no one felt left out. It's like being a referee managing a game with ever-changing rules! But you adapt and grow, and the crazy tales become great stories later!

The memories and bond formed from shared experiences as multiples are one-of-a-kind. As they grow older, I find myself reliving many of their childhood adventures through their eyes; it's a wonderful feeling!

Have you also found that multiples have a secret language of their own, almost like a special code only they can understand? It's fascinating to witness, and sometimes amusing when they concoct these elaborate stories or games together, exclusive only to them!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu