• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising Children with Special Needs

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm considering our next steps to support my child's emotional and psychological development, given their special needs.

Can anyone share experiences with programs, therapies, or strategies they've found effective in promoting emotional intelligence in children like mine? I'd love to hear about what works - anything might be useful for us to consider in our care.

One strategy that has been effective for me is using animal-assisted therapy . Our child's therapist recommended it, and we've seen significant improvements in social interactions and emotional regulation since starting it a few months ago. The program we're using pairs children with trained dogs during sessions that often focus on specific skills like sharing or cooperating with others. A trained therapist guides activities within these sessions to help the child grasp what they need to do in those situations and how animals can be helpful allies throughout life.'

I'm interested in learning more about animal-assisted therapy for children with special needs. How do you think it has helped your child's social interactions and emotional regulation? Can you elaborate on what a typical session is like, and how often are they usually held? Also, have you noticed any benefits or improvements in other areas of your child's life as a result of this therapy?'

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
I've had our child participate in animal-assisted therapy for about a year now, and I have to say it's been incredibly valuable for their social interactions and emotional regulation.

A typical session is usually an hour long and involves just a few children at a time. Our therapist has two trained therapy dogs - a big soft golden retriever named Max and a smart small Poodle named Lucy. The kids do get to interact with the animals, but they also learn about empathy, kindness, and responsibility. For example, during sessions, the kids get hands-on practice in giving gentle pats or softly speaking to calm anxious dogs. It helps them develop fine motor skills while strengthening emotional bonds.

They are typically held once a week for 4-6 weeks at a stretch prior to break days before starting fresh again. I find it really helpful and beneficial when my child returns from each set of sessions feeling more grounded and happier than before, so yes, it has worked positively in multiple arenas.'

It sounds like the animal-assisted therapy is really helping your child develop important social and emotional skills. I'm curious, how do you think being part of these sessions has impacted their self confidence? Has it helped them feel more comfortable interacting with others, or building relationships with friends in their daycare/school setting?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu