• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising a Family on a Budget

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I've been struggling to figure out how to raise my kids without breaking the bank. We're expecting our second child soon, so I'm really trying to get things under control financially before they arrive. The cost of childcare is already stressing me out and it's not even here yet! I've read some tips online about saving on groceries by meal planning and using coupons, but how do people manage to save for their kids' future education at the same time? Does anyone have any advice or know of any helpful resources that could make managing our expenses a bit easier?

I've found that creating an emergency fund and automating savings for specific goals can really help. We set up automatic transfers into our kids' college funds, so it feels less overwhelming to save for future expenses. It's also helped us avoid dipping into these accounts when unexpected expenses come up.

Another strategy we use is a budgeting app that categorizes and tracks expenses. This has been super helpful in identifying areas where we can cut back on discretionary spending. We've also started cooking meals at home more often, which reduces our grocery bills. Lastly, the 50/30/20 rule has been a game-changer – allocating 50% of our income towards necessities, 30% towards non-essentials, and 20% towards savings and debt repayment – it gives us a clear idea of where to prioritize our finances.

I think what's most helpful is setting realistic financial goals as a family, rather than striving for an idealized or societal definition of success. What's more important to us might not be relevant to others.

For instance, some families might prioritize saving for a specific goal like a vacation home or a down payment on a larger house. Others might focus on paying off debt faster or building up their emergency fund. The key is to find what works best for our individual circumstances and make sacrifices when necessary – like cutting back on discretionary spending or finding ways to lower expenses, such as the idea of cooking at home more often.

By being intentional with our budget and prioritizing our financial goals, we've been able to create a system that allows us to save for the future while also living in the present. It's not always easy, but it feels worth it when we can provide a more secure financial foundation for ourselves and our kids.'

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I agree with your approach of setting realistic financial goals as a family. In our household, we've found it's essential to reassess what's truly important to us and adjust our priorities accordingly.

We've had to make some tough decisions along the way, like cutting back on dining out or finding ways to reduce expenses. For instance, my partner has started cooking at home more often, which has helped us save money on food but also allowed for healthier meals. It's not always easy, but it feels satisfying to see our efforts paying off.

What I'd like to add is the importance of having open and honest discussions with your kids about financial decisions and values. By teaching them how to budget, save, and prioritize, we're helping them develop essential life skills that will benefit them in the long run. How do you incorporate financial education into your parenting approach?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu