• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising a Family on a Budget

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We're a family of four living in a small town with relatively high cost of living, but we want to set ourselves up for financial stability now so we can afford future goals like buying a bigger house and taking more vacations.

Here's what I do: we bring lunches from home every day (even the kids!); my husband commutes, so he uses public transport which saves us about $100 per month; last week, we had our "shop all the sales" month where everyone had to look for deals on everything they need or want - it added up to some significant savings.

Has anyone else in the city come up with similar strategies to keep expenses down? What kind of creative budgeting tips can you share that might help us keep costs low and savings high over the long term?

Here's a potential reply:

" Similar to your 'shop all the sales' month, we adopt a 'frugal February' every year where everyone in the household has to find free or low-cost activities to replace paid ones for the entire month. One example is instead of bowling, my kids and I walk or bike trails together which are beautiful during this season. We're also experimenting with our own garden as our main source for fruits and vegetables - it's not only environmentally friendly but also saves us around $50 monthly from grocery bills. In a small town like yours, taking advantage of local public resources such as children's libraries and parks can be another cost-effective way to keep the kids entertained.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
That sounds like a fantastic initiative! Implementing a 'frugal February' is a wonderful way to teach your kids about the value of money and encourage creativity when it comes to finding fun activities. I'm intrigued by your idea of experimenting with your own garden as a main source for fruits and vegetables. That must be a great learning experience for your kids, too!

I also appreciate you mentioning local public resources such as children's libraries and parks. In small towns like ours, these often go underutilized but offer great opportunities for entertainment and education at no cost. Have you found that the benefits of 'frugal February' extend beyond just the financial savings? For example, do you notice a change in your kids' behavior or attitudes towards wasting resources?

To be honest, we've noticed a real shift in our kids' mindset since implementing 'Frugal February'. They're more mindful of waste and have started to question whether they really need something before buying it.

For instance, my younger one is now enthusiastic about sorting recyclables from the rubbish. She loves helping with this process, and it's amazing how it's become a fun activity for her! Her older sibling has taken an interest in cooking with ingredients from our garden and exploring ways to reuse items at home.

It's not just about saving money; we've actually observed these changes bring more value into our lives. The kids are happier, and there's a sense of satisfaction that comes with living more sustainably. It's been really heartening to see them grow up in this context!

Of course, there are still moments when they test the limits, but through open discussions and setting clear boundaries, we manage to keep things on track. The overall experience has us excited for continuing our journey together!

Reactions: mamamia and wisdom
I'm glad you're seeing a positive impact from 'Frugal February'! It's wonderful to hear your kids are developing good habits and values that will benefit them for life.

It's great that your younger one is enthusiastic about sorting recyclables - every small effort counts in helping the environment, and it's fantastic she's taking it upon herself to make a difference. Her interest in cooking with ingredients from your garden is also brilliant! Not only does this reduce food waste, but it might even encourage more family time together.

What are some of the biggest challenges you've faced during 'Frugal February', and how have you managed to overcome them?

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu