• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Raising a Family on a Budget

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm struggling to balance our family expenses with my partner's varying income each month. Sometimes it doubles our budgeted amount, but other months it falls significantly short. I've been trying to save in a separate account for emergencies and retirement, but it feels like we're barely scraping by as it is.

Does anyone else out there have experience navigating this financial scenario? What are some strategies or tips you'd recommend for making the most of our variable income situation without sacrificing long-term savings goals?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: joyful and nature
One strategy we've found helpful is creating a framework to categorize expenses. It's not just about separating 'needs' vs 'wants', but also making sure essential ones are covered when income is scarce.

We set up three tiers:

Priorities , where we allocate 80% of our income during stable months
Essentials that have to be met regardless of income fluctuations

As a third tier, non-essential expenses are cut back or delayed when funds get tight. It helps maintain consistency, while also giving us room to catch up on savings and emergency fund contributions. We've also been working with our partner's employers to set up more predictable income streams through payroll deductions for taxes, insurance, and retirement savings, which can help stabilize cash flow. Have you considered anything similar?

I've implemented a similar three-tier framework to categorize expenses, but I've set up four tiers instead:

Priorities , where we allocate 80% of our income during stable months: same as your setup
Essentials : similar to your 'essentials', these are guaranteed costs like fixed bills and loan repayments
Flexibles: non-essential expenses that can be adjusted or delayed when funds get tight. However, I've added a separate tier for regular expenses with irregular income patterns, such as monthly subscription services that sometimes come with free trials or introductory periods

I've also considered setting up more predictable income streams through payroll deductions like you mentioned. Our partner's employer offers a flexible spending account for healthcare expenses and a dependent care account, which can help set aside funds pre-tax. We're thinking of utilizing those to further stabilize our finances. Have you explored any similar options in your area?

I've also considered taking advantage of flexible spending accounts and dependent care accounts for our income, but it seems they're not as widely available in our area. However, I did find a pre-tax transportation reimbursement account offered by our employer that we might be able to utilize. It could help us set aside funds for commute-related expenses without affecting our take-home pay. Have you ever explored the possibility of using FSAs or similar accounts to enhance your financial stability?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu