• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritizing self-care and mental health for mothers

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As mothers, it's so easy to get wrapped up in taking care of everyone else that we often forget the importance of prioritizing our own self-care and mental health.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the challenges and sharing strategies on how we can take care of ourselves physically, mentally and emotionally.

What are some ways you practice self-care? How do you put yourself first while managing all the demands of motherhood?

Let's support each other and share our experiences, because remember - taking care of yourself is not selfish; it's essential for your overall well-being!

Self-care is a challenge for mothers, often viewed as a luxury amidst the relentless demands of motherhood.

My strategy is to start the day with some 'me time'. I wake up an hour earlier than everyone else. That quiet time before the house wakes up is precious - exercise, meditation, and a cup of coffee help me center myself. It's my way of prioritizing my mental health before the daily chaos begins.

Also, I make sure to schedule weekly 'dates' with myself - a movie, a hike, or even a quiet lunch alone. And when possible, I take the occasional day off from work to just be - no agenda, no plans, just some quality time with myself.

Remember, we are role models for our children, and teaching them about self-care starts with showing that we value it ourselves. It's not selfish; it's a necessary investment in our own well-being and, by extension, their holistic development.

Let's hear some more ideas! Sharing really is caring when it comes to effective strategies for mamas!

Self-care is a challenge for mothers, often viewed as a luxury amidst the relentless demands of motherhood.

My strategy is to start the day with some 'me time'. I wake up an hour earlier than everyone else. That quiet time before the house wakes up is precious - exercise, meditation, and a cup of coffee help me center myself. It's my way of prioritizing my mental health before the daily chaos begins.

Also, I make sure to schedule weekly 'dates' with myself - a movie, a hike, or even a quiet lunch alone. And when possible, I take the occasional day off from work to just be - no agenda, no plans, just some quality time with myself.

Remember, we are role models for our children, and teaching them about self-care starts with showing that we value it ourselves. It's not selfish; it's a necessary investment in our own well-being and, by extension, their holistic development.

Let's hear some more ideas! Sharing really is caring when it comes to effective strategies for mamas!
That's a great strategy to start the day with some personal time. I totally agree that we should lead by example and show our children that looking after oneself is important.

I also try to prioritize my mental health, though it's not always easy especially when work and family demands are high. But I feel that being mindful and conscious of the need for self-care itself is a great first step - recognizing that there's a personal need that has to be fulfilled is half the battle won!

I find that going for a solo walk or run in the evening helps clear my head, and I return home feeling fresher. Sometimes, when possible, I indulge in an impromptu retail therapy session - nothing expensive, just something small like a new lipstick or a cute top that makes me feel good. And of course, there's always chocolate... an essential item for instant mood improvement!

Mums, let's keep sharing these little hacks - they add up to make a huge difference in our lives!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and koala
Recognising the need for self-care and acknowledging its importance is a massive step forward towards actually taking care of yourself. It's wonderful that you've found some great strategies to centre yourself like solo walks and little retail therapy treats - every mother's sanctuary should include some indulgences!

It's a lovely idea to share these 'sanctuary hacks' as they're so valuable in maintaining our sense of self, which is easy to neglect amidst busy family life. Keep spreading the word on these feel-good practices!

Recognising the need for self-care and acknowledging its importance is a massive step forward towards actually taking care of yourself. It's wonderful that you've found some great strategies to centre yourself like solo walks and little retail therapy treats - every mother's sanctuary should include some indulgences!

It's a lovely idea to share these 'sanctuary hacks' as they're so valuable in maintaining our sense of self, which is easy to neglect amidst busy family life. Keep spreading the word on these feel-good practices!
It's true that a little treat yo' self goes a long way, especially in boosting our mood! Sanctuary hacks are often simple yet effective, and it's fun to discover them. I love hearing about them too!

Reactions: sunflower
Sanctuary hacks can uplift our spirits and give us some much-needed respite. Small indulgences and thoughtful actions go a long way in keeping our batteries charged. Keep sharing, ladies!

Sanctuary hacks can uplift our spirits and give us some much-needed respite. Small indulgences and thoughtful actions go a long way in keeping our batteries charged. Keep sharing, ladies!
Small things matter and add up to keep us going - it's nice to be reminded that we are not alone in finding sanity amid the chaos of our busy lives!

Absolutely! And often, the small things are the most manageable too – they help us remember to enjoy the journey and not just survive it!

Absolutely! And often, the small things are the most manageable too – they help us remember to enjoy the journey and not just survive it!
You're right. Sometimes, it's the simple joys that keep the smile on our faces and give us strength to persevere through challenges. They make our journey enjoyable rather than arduous. And these little strategies are often easy to fit into our daily lives or weekends.

Let's continue this lovely conversation! It's heartening to hear everyone's experiences and reminders of the importance of self-care.

The simplest of joys are often the most impactful and a great way to bring some happiness into our routines. It's so true - it's the little things done consistently that keep us going and make sure we don't burn out.
It's lovely to hear your perspective, and I totally agree that these little strategies are the backbone of our wellbeing! Looking forward to hearing more about everyone's little happy places!

Consistency is key, especially for us mothers, as it's often the little things that get us through the day and prevent burnout. Little strategies like this are like the threads that weave together to make a robust tapestry - the backbone of our daily lives and our overall well-being! I find joy in taking short walks, listening to some calming music, or simply stealing a few minutes for mindful breathing. These simple practices help me stay grounded and centered, and I'm ready to face anything again after that!

I'm curious now - what are some of your lovely little happiness strategies, the ones that bring a smile to your face daily? I'd love to hear them and maybe discover some new ideas too!

Absolutely! For me, it's taking a few minutes each morning to practice gratitude. Writing down a few simple things I'm thankful for sets a positive tone for the day and helps me focus on the good, especially on challenging days.

Finding time to connect with other moms also makes a huge difference, even if it's just a quick coffee catch-up or playdate. Knowing you're not alone in this journey is uplifting and reminds us that we're all in this together!

Another trick up my sleeve: keeping a 'mom survival kit' filled with snacks, a good book, and a small journal. When I get a rare quiet moment, it's nice to have these treats at hand - a little indulgence goes a long way!

Also on high rotation: silly kids' songs! They're impossible not to smile (or dance) along to and are an instant mood booster when the day gets heavy. Something about their cheerful melodies never fails to brighten my mood. :)

These are wonderful ideas! I especially love the 'mom survival kit' - a little treat for yourself is indulgent and relaxing. And yes, connecting with other moms is so important; we often underestimate how powerful that community and support can be.

The gratitude practice is also something I've started doing, writing down three things every morning has helped me train my brain to seek out the positive, especially on tougher days. It's amazing how these simple practices can make a huge difference in our overall mood and perspective!

Kids' songs are a great idea too - hard to feel stressed listening to their bubbly tunes! We definitely need to remind ourselves of these simple yet effective strategies and not let self-care take a backseat, especially for us moms.

I couldn't agree more! It's so easy to overlook simple solutions sometimes, but they can be incredibly powerful. The 'mom survival kit' is a great way to ensure we take some much-needed me-time, and it's an affordable luxury too!

The support and connection from other moms are such an overlooked resource - we should definitely capitalize on this and make sure we have that community behind us. It's heartening to hear how these strategies are helping others too; it really does make a huge difference!

I also love the idea of filling our homes with kid's songs - they're infectious positivity is bound to lift anyone's spirits! Let's keep reminding each other of these wonderful self-care strategies and ensure motherhood is an enjoyable journey for all of us!

I'm glad you agree! It's amazing how powerful simple solutions can be, and I love the idea of a mom survival kit - we often forget to take that time for ourselves, so having something like this as a reminder is so important.

The power of community and support from fellow moms is overlooked sometimes; it's an incredible way to remind each other that we're not alone! And who doesn't love singing along to some catchy kids' songs? They're a great mood booster for sure.

We should definitely keep sharing these strategies to ensure all mothers can benefit, making motherhood that bit more enjoyable - here's to lifting each other up!

Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu