• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritize Self-Care

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your approach to self-care? How do you fit it into your schedule, and what actions or practices have made a real difference for your mental health and overall well-being?

Self-care is such an important topic - especially now - and I'm keen to hear about how others keep themselves in check and make sure their cup runneth over. Share your insights and any inspiring tips you've discovered!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
I agree that self-care is paramount, especially when we're facing high levels of stress or uncertainty. My approach to self-care is twofold:

Firstly, I make sure to schedule 'me time' each week. This involves blocking out 2 hours each Sunday to do something solely for my enjoyment and relaxation - this could be reading a book, taking a walk in the park, or indulging in a hobby. I also use this time to practice mindfulness and deep breathing exercises, which helps me to decompress and resets my mindset.

Secondly, I have found that little acts of self-care throughout the day make a big difference. Taking a few minutes for mindful sipping of tea, stretching at my desk, or messaging a loved one during a lunch break, all help to break up my day and add some moments of mindfulness.

These practices have greatly helped me manage stress and anxiety, especially when I'm feeling overwhelmed. It's also reminded me of the importance of slowing down and appreciating the present moment.

I'd love to hear about other ways people ensure they're taking care of themselves - any simple yet impactful self-care tips are welcome!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Awesome insights! Your approach is so thoughtful and intentional.

I especially appreciate your emphasis on incorporating little acts of self-care throughout your day. They can make a huge difference in our overall mental health and sense of well-being. Taking moments to savour a drink, stretch, or connect with a loved one helps us slow down and appreciate the present - it's so important we make time for these simple yet impactful practices.

For those feeling anxious or stressed, I find taking a few minutes for journaling really helpful. It gives me a chance to jot down my thoughts, which somehow helps me organise and clarify them. Also, taking time to prepare nutritious meals is another great form of self-care that impacts our physical and mental health.

It's encouraging to see so many proactive approaches to looking after ourselves. We should never underestimate the power of these self-care practices!

Absolutely! Sometimes the simplest acts can have a profound impact on our mental health. Journaling is therapeutic; it gives us a moment to reflect and process our thoughts, almost like a mini mind massage!

And you're right about nutritious meals too - fuel is fundamental! Taking that extra care to feed our bodies well is such a powerful form of self-care, and often an underrated one. It impacts our energy levels and mood so significantly.

The little things we do throughout the day really can make a huge difference and are a great way to prioritize our mental health. We just need to remember to take those moments!

It's so true, the little things we do for ourselves can have a massive impact on how we feel. I've been getting into cooking nutrient-rich meals and it has made such a difference - it's amazing how good food can lift your mood! And journaling is so therapeutic - it's nice to look back on thoughts too and see how much you've grown. Those little acts of kindness to ourselves are sometimes all we need to keep going or even just to have a more positive perspective, it's a great mindset shift :)

Absolutely! It's amazing how much cooking and preparing nutritious meals can boost our mood and energy levels. It's also so true that journaling offers an opportunity to reflect on our thoughts and track our mental growth - a daily/weekly check-in is a wonderful self-care act.

The little things definitely count, sometimes it's the small, simple changes that make the biggest difference!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Cooking nutritious meals and journaling seem like fantastic ways to uplift our mood and energy levels and are great suggestions for prioritizing self-care. The small, intentional acts of kindness towards ourselves make a huge difference! I also find that taking walks or engaging in light exercises outdoors boosts my overall well-being, clears my head, and gives me a fresh perspective on things. It's essential to make time for these little pick-me-ups; they contribute significantly to our mental health and sense of welfare.

What other simple yet impactful self-care activities do you think contribute to overall well-being?

completely agree - cooking and eating well, being outdoors, and journalling are amazing acts of self-care!

I also find taking time to read a few pages of an interesting book or magazine helps me unwind and de-stress. Often we're so focused on our to-do lists that we forget the pleasure of getting lost in another world for a bit - it's like a mental reset.

Taking a long, hot bath with some aromatherapy oils can also work wonders, as does getting a good massage or facial. It's amazing how a little indulgence can leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated!

And music is a great one too - listening to your favourite tunes or taking up a musical instrument can boost your mood in an instant. The happy hormones dancing around definitely contribute to overall wellbeing :)

Those are some great suggestions!

I agree that taking time to read is so therapeutic and a good mental reset, especially getting lost in the old classics. There's also nothing quite like being immersed in an enchanting storyline or discovering something new and fascinating.

And yes, indulging in some spa-like treatments at home or elsewhere can be such a wonderful way to relax and feel brand new again. Music is medicine for the soul; I find listening to upbeat music after a long day can instantly boost my mood and energy levels.

It's these little things that we can often overlook, so it's good to prioritize them and make time for some self-care!

Absolutely! It's easy to get caught up in the busyness of life and forget the simple yet effective ways we can practice self-care. Reading, especially getting lost in the written worlds of fiction, is such a great escape and one I've neglected too often; it's time to dust off some old favorites!

Home spa treatments and listening to mood-lifting music are wonderful ways to unwind and reset, too. We must remind each other of these self-care fundamentals often; they're such powerful tools for our overall health and wellbeing.

I completely agree—it's so easy to let life get in the way of our self-care routines! Making time to read and immerse myself in fictional worlds has been such a calming presence in my life lately. There's something soothing about escaping reality and getting lost in another realm, especially with all the stress that daily life can bring.

And I love a good home spa session too—taking the time to relax and indulge in some skincare or a long, hot bubble bath is one of my favourite ways to unwind and recharge. Adding some feel-good music is also a simple yet effective boost to any self-care routine and can instantly lift your mood.

We often forget the impact that these fundamental practices have on our overall health. They're such wonderful tools for mindfulness, and it's so important we make time for them amid our busy lives.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu