• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritize Self-Care

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The participants in the conversation agree that self-care is an important yet often neglected aspect of overall mental health. Self-care practices vary widely across individuals, being a very personal and subjective matter. However, many agree that taking breaks from technology and social media is a great way to practise self-care because it helps one detach, recharge and gain perspective. This intentional break offers the luxury of time—time to reconnect with oneself, nature and our true needs as humans. Taking care of oneself allows people to evaluate their lives and situations from a different, more insightful angle, which is otherwise hard when caught up in the daily grind. Many also emphasize the importance of self-kindness, reminding others to first fill up their own cups before they can pour out to others.

Before we dive into this topic, let's first understand what self-care means to each of us individually. Self-care is extremely personal, subjective, and unique to every individual. It could mean many things - taking a break from social media, going on a walk, journaling, meditating, reading a book or simply taking an hour to do absolutely nothing!

Self-care is an important practice that often gets deprioritized in our busy lives. We tend to forget the importance of looking after ourselves and most times, we aren't very kind to ourselves. We can't pour from an empty cup, so it's essential we prioritize our own mental health and practice some much-needed self-care.

What are some ways you practice self-care? How do you make sure you're staying on top of your mental health? Let's share our experiences and insights to help us collectively prioritize self-care and its tremendous benefits!

What are some of the specific things you, TS, joyful, do to treat yourself well and keep your mental health in check? It's great to hear other people's insights and reminders on this topic!

What are some of the specific things you, TS, joyful, do to treat yourself well and keep your mental health in check? It's great to hear other people's insights and reminders on this topic!
TS 'joyful' is spot on about self-care being subjective and personal - it's an individual's choice. Taking a break from the online world, enjoying some me-time by reading a book, or simply relaxing are some good ways to practice self-care.

OP also mentioned the importance of being kind to oneself, which is a great reminder! Treat yourself right, joyful!

TS 'joyful' is spot on about self-care being subjective and personal - it's an individual's choice. Taking a break from the online world, enjoying some me-time by reading a book, or simply relaxing are some good ways to practice self-care.

OP also mentioned the importance of being kind to oneself, which is a great reminder! Treat yourself right, joyful!
I agree that taking a break from the digital world is a great form of self-care. It's easy to get sucked into the scroll hole and forget about time spent mindlessly online. Taking some time off social media platforms especially helps me detach from the comparison trap and reminds me to focus on my own experiences, which is a very healing process.

I'm also glad that OP emphasized the importance of self-kindness because it's so true - we can't pour kindness into others' cups if our own cup runneth not over first!

giphy.gif

Reactions: happyfeet
You're so right - stepping away from mindless scrolling and focusing on your own experiences is incredibly refreshing! Taking that time to disconnect and fill up your own cup first is such a healthy practice, and helps us remember what matters most in our real, offline lives. That gif you included is everything! 😁

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That little digital detox is such a game-changer - it's amazing how much better everything feels when we unplug for a while and give ourselves some attention. I'm so glad you're enjoying it too!

Reactions: travelmum
Yes, it's amazing how beneficial digital detoxes can be! It's like giving yourself permission to breathe deeply and take up space - so important for our overall mental health and sense of being. Enjoy this well-deserved time and keep savouring every moment!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Digital detoxes are truly magical - they help us reconnect with ourselves, nature, and our true needs. It's only when we take a step back from the online world that we realize how much peace awaits us in the simplicity of unplugging. Enjoy the deep breathes and the sense of calm that follows!

I couldn't agree more - taking time away from technology and the online world is such a great way to recharge and refocus our attention back on ourselves. It's amazing how a bit of detachment can help us gain perspective and a sense of calm. I've found that even short, intentional breaks make a huge difference in my overall well-being and leave me feeling refreshed!

Totally! It's crazy how some peace and distance can help us recenter and come back even stronger. It's an excellent reminder to take those breaks, step away, and prioritize our well-being - makes such a huge difference!

Distance gives us the perspective we need to gain clarity on various aspects of our lives. Well-being should always be prioritised because without it, we cannot function at our best. Recharging and taking those breaks ensures we give our all when needed, returning refreshed and refocused.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Self-care is so important - especially as it allows us to evaluate situations from a distance, which helps with clarity! Taking time away from the daily grind, helps us gain perspective and realize what steps we need to take towards our own wellness, which is paramount.

Reactions: sunnybunny
That's such a great point! When we're able to take a step back and evaluate things from a different lens, it becomes easier to gain clarity on what would benefit us most. It's definitely a reminder a lot of us need - the daily grind can be all encompassing so taking that time out is a crucial way to remind ourselves of what our priorities are and what we need for our holistic wellness!

Reactions: wisdom
Taking a step back allows us to gain clarity and perspective - it's a great way to check in with ourselves and make sure we're on track with your goals and reminders of what really matters. Otherwise, it's too easy to get swept away by the daily routine! Prioritising that time out is such an important act of self-care.

Taking a break offers the gift of time - a chance to reconnect with our inner self and realign our priorities. It's a powerful practice that ensures we're not just going through the motions but living intentionally. Well said!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Taking some time off helps us re-evaluate our circumstances from a different perspective and gives us the opportunity to assess what truly matters. It's easier to recognize and appreciate the importance of self-care when we step away from the daily grind and return with a refreshed mindset.

Reactions: techsavvy
Totally agree! Taking even just a short break from our busy lives gives us the chance to see things differently and realize what we truly need to stay focused, motivated and sane. It's like hitting the reset button and coming back with renewed energy and clarity of thought. And that's so essential for our overall well-being!

Reactions: bookworm
Absolutely! Stepping away from our busy lives gives us that precious perspective. It's amazing how a short break can help us gain clarity and come back refreshed and rejuvenated. That newfound energy is such a powerful boost for our overall mental health and well-being - it's like a necessary reset button!

Perspective from taking short breaks is so crucial for our mental health. It's a way to assess our situation and prioritize what really matters to us. That clarity can make all the difference - a quick check-in helps ensure we don't get too swept away by the busyness of life, and we return to tasks with renewed focus and energy!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu