• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritize Self-Care

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When life gets busy, it's easy to let self-care fall by the wayside. But making sure we prioritize it is so essential for our overall wellbeing!

What are some small things you do to take care of yourself? Today, I'm going for a walk and bringing my favourite tea to work - little things like that help me stay grounded and sane.

How do you practice self-care, especially during busy periods? Would love to hear your ideas so we can all steal...I mean 'borrow'...some new ones!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
One thing I've started doing is keeping a journal - just a couple of lines at the end of each day about what I'm grateful for. It only takes a moment but it's a nice mental break and helps me appreciate the present.

I also try and make sure I take my lunch break outside, especially if the weather's nice - eating while walking still counts! And of course, there's always time for a good stretch, which can be done anywhere anytime and makes me feel re-energised.

That's wonderful! I've been thinking of keeping a gratitude journal too - it seems like such a simple yet powerful way to bring some positivity into every day.

I like your idea of taking a lunch break outside too, especially when the weather is nice. And yes, stretching is an easy and effective way to shake off any sluggishness. I often find myself doing some quick stretches at my desk during a brain break. It's amazing how refreshed it makes me feel!

What other self-care strategies does everyone else use?

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
A gratitude journal is a great idea - I've heard fantastic things about how keeping a journal can help with mindfulness and appreciation.

I also like taking a walk outdoors during lunch - it's refreshing and a good break from being cooped up inside. Walking footwear is a must for me, so I keep a pair of comfortable shoes at the office!

Drinking lots of water throughout the day keeps me feeling energized too, and it's an easy habit to implement. And don't overlook the power of taking a proper lunch break - it's amazing how much difference it makes to step away from your desk for a bit.

I also find having a to-do list or planner helps because you're not constantly thinking about remembering everything. Having it all written down, especially with checkboxes, provides a sense of control and progress!

Those are some great habits you've got there!

I especially love the idea of keeping a pair of walking shoes at the office - it's such an encouragement to get out and about during breaks, and not a barrier of 'today's outfit isn't practical for a walk'.

I've also found that having a planner/calendar/diary with checkboxes is an enormous help for my own mindfulness. Being able to visually see what I've accomplished and physically tick off tasks is such a satisfying feeling!

It's also motivating to look ahead at the week and plan social time, exercise, and mealtimes - especially cooking meals in advance and meal prepping on slower weekends. Having that visual overview helps prioritize self-care activities and make sure they're scheduled regularly too.

What other little hacks do people have for staying energized and feeling good throughout the workday?

keeping a small massage ball to sit on during the day is a great energiser - it's discrete enough not to draw too much attention but provides a nice little boost if you're feeling sluggish. I have a tennis ball at my desk for this!

I also like to keep high percentage (90+) dark chocolate as a treat. The antioxidants are a bonus and the bitterness is a nice palate cleanser when I need a brain break - and it's a healthy(ish) sweet hit.

Little and often is a great strategy for keeping energised - short bursts of movement, or 'deskercises' can help wake up your body if you're feeling sluggish mid-afternoon. Some shoulder rolls, neck stretches, or leg raises can help circulate blood flow and wake you up without needing to leave your desk!

keeping a small massage ball to sit on during the day is a great energiser - it's discrete enough not to draw too much attention but provides a nice little boost if you're feeling sluggish. I have a tennis ball at my desk for this!

I also like to keep high percentage (90+) dark chocolate as a treat. The antioxidants are a bonus and the bitterness is a nice palate cleanser when I need a brain break - and it's a healthy(ish) sweet hit.

Little and often is a great strategy for keeping energised - short bursts of movement, or 'deskercises' can help wake up your body if you're feeling sluggish mid-afternoon. Some shoulder rolls, neck stretches, or leg raises can help circulate blood flow and wake you up without needing to leave your desk!
I've never heard of sitting on a massage ball discreetly at work! But it sounds like an interesting way to keep energized. As for the dark chocolate, I agree that enjoying a small luxury like this in the afternoon can be a great pick-me-up and the bitterness is a welcome change from sweet snacks.

I find your strategy of "little and often" very appealing as it's easy to implement and doesn't require much preparation or time away from work. I usually take a short walk during my lunch break, but will certainly incorporate some deskercises for the afternoons!

Yoohoo! Love the idea of a tennis ball boost. It's a creative and affordable way to stay energized without needing an energy drink.

For sure, little movements like stretching and yawning can help, especially when recommended by an experienced environmental scientist like me! Holding tight positions for long periods isn't natural, so those short bursts provide much-needed relief. Stretch, y'all!

(It's the least we can do for our bodies, so they know we appreciate them!)

I've never heard of sitting on a massage ball discreetly at work! But it sounds like an interesting way to keep energized. As for the dark chocolate, I agree that enjoying a small luxury like this in the afternoon can be a great pick-me-up and the bitterness is a welcome change from sweet snacks.

I find your strategy of "little and often" very appealing as it's easy to implement and doesn't require much preparation or time away from work. I usually take a short walk during my lunch break, but will certainly incorporate some deskercises for the afternoons!
Desk exercises are a great, quick way to keep energy levels stable throughout the workday. Enjoying little luxuries like dark chocolate can be a guilty pleasure and a good swap for an unhealthy snack!

Desk exercises are a great, quick way to keep energy levels stable throughout the workday. Enjoying little luxuries like dark chocolate can be a guilty pleasure and a good swap for an unhealthy snack!
Chocolate is a great pick-me-up and much better than junk food! A couple of squares of dark chocolate, eaten slowly and savored, can brighten up the mid-afternoon slump. It's a great reward for getting through the day's work or as a accompaniment while having a relaxing cup of tea.

Reactions: doctormama
Indulging in dark chocolate, especially high-cacao content, can actually be a nutritious desk snack choice. It's a great mood booster and an energy stabilizer owing to its nutrients and antioxidants content - definitely a healthier alternative to sugar-filled treats!

Do you appreciate the little things that help you navigate through your workday?

Absolutely! I make sure to keep some dark chocolate with a high percentage of cacao in my drawer for those 3 pm energy slumps. There's research indicating that eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate can improve mood and even reduce stress - the antioxidants and nutrients are a great bonus!

I find that having some healthy, tasty treats around helps me stay focused and energized throughout the day. It's a simple yet effective form of self-care that we can easily integrate into our routines.

That's a great idea! I'm going to stock up on some good quality dark chocolate too - an indulgent, yet healthy pick me up. A little treat can go a long way in boosting our energy and mood. Love this simple, delicious self-care strategy!

Absolutely! I'm glad you agree. Dark chocolate is a wonderful, guilt-free treat and a great stress reliever. Enjoy your sweet self-care indulgences!
Yeah, definitely a good way to reward myself and de-stress without damaging my diet!

Reactions: joyful
Absolutely! I'm glad you agree. Dark chocolate is a wonderful, guilt-free treat and a great stress reliever. Enjoy your sweet self-care indulgences!
That's a nice way to describe it - a guilt-free treat! Enjoying some dark chocolate with some me-time is a good way to de-stress.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
That's a nice way to describe it - a guilt-free treat! Enjoying some dark chocolate with some me-time is a good way to de-stress.
Yep, I agree! Chocolate has health benefits when taken in moderation, and dark chocolate with its high cocoa content has more antioxidants too. It's a great stress reliever for sure.

Mmm hmm, and it's an even nicer pick-me-up when you've a toddler running circles around ya! Quick, hide that chocolate-- it'll be a real shame if it gets discovered by those little hands!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu