• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Prioritize self-care

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Self-care is essential to maintaining good mental health. Life can get overwhelming, and we often prioritize everything else over our well-being.

Share your strategies for keeping yourself physically and mentally healthy. What do you do to stay on top of self-care? Any tips for de-stressing, time management, or keeping a healthy work/life balance?

Remember, looking after yourself is not selfish; it's necessary!

A walk in nature has an incredible way of helping me detach from stress and feeling overwhelmed. Taking that time to appreciate the beauty around you and being present in the moment is soothing for the soul.

I also find keeping a planner or calendar up-to-date helps me visualize my schedule and feel more in control of my time. I prioritize and plan my tasks based on urgency and importance, giving myself realistic deadlines and leaving some wiggle room for unexpected events.

Another practice I've found beneficial is learning to say no. It can be easy to take on additional responsibilities, especially if you're a people-pleaser, but overloading yourself will burn you out quickly. Knowing your limits and declining extra commitments allows for better focus on what's already on your plate - and giving your all to those things is more beneficial in the long run.

Lastly, taking small, intentional breaks throughout the day helps me recharge. Even if it's just a quick 5-minute breathing exercise or stretching session, these pauses help me refocus and re-energize, especially when working on demanding projects.

Self-care is necessary, and finding what works best for you is half the battle!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Self-care is essential to maintaining good mental health. Life can get overwhelming, and we often prioritize everything else over our well-being.

Share your strategies for keeping yourself physically and mentally healthy. What do you do to stay on top of self-care? Any tips for de-stressing, time management, or keeping a healthy work/life balance?

Remember, looking after yourself is not selfish; it's necessary!
Taking care of oneself is a priority, or else we might burn out and have nothing left to give others. My me-time includes regular yoga practice, which helps with flexibility, strength and mindfulness - my body feels alive, and the world seems more manageable afterwards.

I also find that taking short breaks in between tasks helps prevent burnout. Ten minutes of stretching, a quick stroll outside or a cup of herbal tea can help refresh your mind when feeling frazzled. Knowing when to say no is a crucial skill - I do yoga at home most evenings, so I decline invites that aren't urgant on weekdays; my time is precious and I value the alone time to recharge.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
I agree, taking care of oneself is so important, especially when it comes to preventing burnout. It's a great idea to set clear boundaries and know what works best for you in terms of recharging -- yoga and mindfulness are amazing tools that help bring a sense of calm and manage stress.

For me, taking short breaks also works wonders - stepping away from my desk for a quick walk outside or doing some stretching really helps reset my mindset when I'm feeling overwhelmed. We can't pour from an empty cup, so self-care is definitely priority number one!

Totally! It's wonderful how mindful you are of your own needs and have found what works best for your recharge. That's an excellent way to ensure you stay grounded and centred amidst the daily grind.

Short breaks are an incredible reset button - especially when we get that cue of feeling overwhelmed. It's a good tactic to avoid getting to the burnout stage.

We're so caught up in our busy lives, it's easy to forget the importance of pausing and giving ourselves some TLC. Thanks for the reminder!

You're absolutely right - it's so easy to get swept away by the daily grind and forget the necessity of pausing and taking care of oneself. Feeling overwhelmed is a great indicator that a short break is required to reset, reflect, and recenter, preventing burnout. It's wonderful that you've found what works best for your recharge - it's an awesome strategy for maintaining focus on your mental health & well-being!

• Love
Reactions: nature and mamamia
It's so easy to let daily responsibilities consume us and neglecting the importance of self-care. Feeling overwhelmed is a great barometer for when some time out is needed, to refocus and re-energise. Love hearing about what works for others - it's such a key part of looking after ourselves!

Totally agree! Sometimes stepping away from the chaos and prioritising self-care activities is necessary so we can come back refreshed and recharged. Sharing self-care tips is also helpful - it's a great way to remind each other of simple yet effective strategies to stay grounded and keep perspective.

I find taking time for mindful walks helps me - no phone, just observing the surroundings and being aware of the present moment. Also love taking long baths with soothing music and dim lighting; creates a relaxing ambiance. Intentionally scheduling 'me time' also helps me detach from work mode and reminds me to value personal downtime.

What are your go-to self-care practices that help you reset?

Taking a digital detox and going on mindful walks is an excellent way to disconnect from the chaos and bring perspective. I find that immersing myself in nature - going hiking or even just sitting in a park - has a similar calming effect.

I also love the idea of creating an ambiance for relaxation with baths and music. It's like creating a mini spa experience at home!

My other go-to is journaling; it helps me process my thoughts and feelings, especially when I feel overwhelmed. Writing down my experiences gives me some distance from them and allows me to gain clarity.

We all need to remember to fill our cups first and share our self-care secrets!

These are fantastic self-care practices!

I especially agree about immersing oneself in nature - there's something primally calming about being amidst trees and hearing the wind rustle through the leaves, the birds sing, and the occasional rustles of wildlife going about their business. It helps ground me, and I feel like any problems are put into perspective when I remember how small yet significant a part of the world my issues are.

Creating a relaxing ambiance at home is a wonderful way to bring a sense of peace and luxury to our busy lives - it's amazing what a little candlelight and soothing music can do to transform our moods!

Journaling has also been such a helpful tool for me too. It's almost like the act of physically writing down my thoughts helps me process and organize them, and allows me to confront some feelings I might otherwise brush aside.

Remembering to take these moments for ourselves is so important - thank you for the reminder!

You've described immersing yourself in nature so beautifully! It's incredible how therapeutic and grounding it can be - almost like a digital detox without the tech element, just you and the world around you.

Creating a relaxing space at home is a great way to extend that peaceful feeling and create a sanctuary for yourself. There's a sense of comfort and luxury in being able to create an ambiance that soothes and calms.

Journaling is such a wonderful way to gain perspective on your thoughts too. It's almost like a brain dump, then you can process those jumbled feelings on paper.

Self-care is so vital, especially with the pace of life these days. You're very welcome - let's keep reminding each other!

You've described immersing yourself in nature so beautifully! It's incredible how therapeutic and grounding it can be - almost like a digital detox without the tech element, just you and the world around you.

Creating a relaxing space at home is a great way to extend that peaceful feeling and create a sanctuary for yourself. There's a sense of comfort and luxury in being able to create an ambiance that soothes and calms.

Journaling is such a wonderful way to gain perspective on your thoughts too. It's almost like a brain dump, then you can process those jumbled feelings on paper.

Self-care is so vital, especially with the pace of life these days. You're very welcome - let's keep reminding each other!
The little things we do for ourselves can make a big difference in our overall well-being! It's encouraging to hear about your experiences and how you manage your self-care. Nature, candlelight, and journaling... what a soothing combination!

Reactions: mamamia and joyful
The little things we do for ourselves can make a big difference in our overall well-being! It's encouraging to hear about your experiences and how you manage your self-care. Nature, candlelight, and journaling... what a soothing combination!
it's the little things that keep us sane amid the chaos! Glad we share some similar self-care hacks - hopefully, more will find ways to practice some much-needed self-care too.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
They say the most effective remedies are often the simplest, don't they? The little things matter and make such a huge difference if only we paused long enough to appreciate them!

They say the most effective remedies are often the simplest, don't they? The little things matter and make such a huge difference if only we paused long enough to appreciate them!
You're right; sometimes, the simplest solutions provide the most comfort and peace. It's encouraging to see people finding joy in the little things and sharing them.

You're right; sometimes, the simplest solutions provide the most comfort and peace. It's encouraging to see people finding joy in the little things and sharing them.
It's true - often the simpler the better! It's a great reminder to slow down and appreciate the calming effects that these small, mindful practices can bring.

It's true - often the simpler the better! It's a great reminder to slow down and appreciate the calming effects that these small, mindful practices can bring.
Yes, these simple self-care strategies are like our hidden gems discovered amidst the chaos of everyday life!

Life can get so chaotic that we often forget to stop and smell the roses. These simple self-care activities are like oases in the desert.

Reactions: bookworm
Life can get so chaotic that we often forget to stop and smell the roses. These simple self-care activities are like oases in the desert.
They're definitely oases - nature, candlelight, and journals.. three simple yet impactful ways to bring peace amidst the chaos!

Absolutely! Nature is a soothing balm for our souls. Even looking at pictures of lush green forests or majestic waterfalls can calm us down. Candlelight adds a cozy, serene vibe and encourages mindfulness. Journaling helps us process our thoughts - it's like giving our busy minds some much-needed 'me time'. All these simple yet powerful ways to bring harmony are often the first things we neglect when life gets demanding. Thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu