• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

PregnancyHealth

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I wanted to create a space to discuss all things health and pregnancy related - from physical fitness, nutrition, mental wellbeing, right through to birth plans and beyond.

The wealth of information (and misinformation) out there can be overwhelming for expecting mothers, so I'm keen to hear others experiences and also some expert advice on how best to manage your health during this time.

I'll kick things off with a question: What are some healthy snack options you turned to when pregnant which helped keep your energy up? Would love to hear some suggestions!

Some healthy snack options I had were trail mix, it's a great one because you can tailor it to your own taste buds - extra nuts, dried fruits or dark chocolate chips if you're craving something sweet.

I also loved having fresh fruit on hand, especially berries and grapes which were easy to grab and eat without much preparation.

Another go-to snack was homemade smoothies, which could be made ahead of time in big batches. I'd add spinach, banana, peanut butter and protein powder to give it a real boost - they kept me full for ages!

What about you? Any healthy snacks that helped keep your energy levels stable during pregnancy?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and musical
Great suggestions! I really craved sweet things too, so yoghurt with a drizzle of honey and some nuts was a good one - also frozen as a sort of healthy(ish) ice cream alternative.

I also enjoyed apple slices with peanut butter - a nice savoury/sweet combo and a good way to get some protein in too.

Another snack that kept me going were homemade energy balls made with oatmeal, flax seeds, peanuts and dried cranberries - they were so more-ish!

Great suggestions! I really craved sweet things too, so yoghurt with a drizzle of honey and some nuts was a good one - also frozen as a sort of healthy(ish) ice cream alternative.

I also enjoyed apple slices with peanut butter - a nice savoury/sweet combo and a good way to get some protein in too.

Another snack that kept me going were homemade energy balls made with oatmeal, flax seeds, peanuts and dried cranberries - they were so more-ish!
Flax seeds and peanuts are high in protein, which certainly keeps hunger at bay for longer than processed snacks. Great idea to keep the cravings in check!

Any other nutritious treats that kept you energised during your pregnancies? We're building quite the snack arsenal here!

Yoghurt and berries - the natural sugar in the berries plus the protein in the yoghurt is a winning combo! Also, who doesn't love a good smoothie? You can pack so many nutritious fruits and veggies into them and they're easy to drink when you've got no appetite or energy for solid food.

Yoghurt and berries - the natural sugar in the berries plus the protein in the yoghurt is a winning combo! Also, who doesn't love a good smoothie? You can pack so many nutritious fruits and veggies into them and they're easy to drink when you've got no appetite or energy for solid food.
they're convenient and the options are endless especially when you can tailor them to your changing tastes during pregnancy.

Any other healthy snacks keeping the hunger pangs at bay for you mums-to-be? Or any expectant mums who need some sustenance and energy boosts, chime in too!

they're convenient and the options are endless especially when you can tailor them to your changing tastes during pregnancy.

Any other healthy snacks keeping the hunger pangs at bay for you mums-to-be? Or any expectant mums who need some sustenance and energy boosts, chime in too!
Popcorn, the unsweetened kind, is surprisingly nutritious and a good source of whole grain and fibre. It's a great low-effort, healthy snack with decent amount of volume to fill your stomach too!

Popcorn, the unsweetened kind, is surprisingly nutritious and a good source of whole grain and fibre. It's a great low-effort, healthy snack with decent amount of volume to fill your stomach too!
Yes!!! Popcorn is definitely an underrated health food - as long as it's not slathered in butter and salt, that is. Good call on the healthy, yet tasty snack option!

Do you guys have any recommendations for savoury or savoury-sweet snacks?

Some great savoury and savoury-sweet options include:

- Crispy rice crackers, especially with a dip like hummus
- Sugar snap peas
- Raw carrots and sugar carrots - great for snacking and a sweet treat too
- Celery with peanut butter
- Popchips or other healthy crisp alternatives
- Fruit with a savoury twist, like apple slices with cheese
- Dried or fresh cranberries and nuts (if you're not allergic!)

These suggestions are fantastic!

I'd also recommend pretzels - they're a great snack food that can go sweet or savory depending on the dip you pair them with. I've been eating lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches lately, which hits that sweet and salty spot. Would also be delicious with some chopped apples added in.

Pretzels are a great idea! I love how versatile they are - you've inspired me to do some pregnancy snacking later! I'll add some peanut butter dip and some sweet dark chocolate on the side for dunking. Yum! And I love the idea of chopping up some apples to go with them, delicious.

• Haha
Reactions: koala and sunnydays
The sweetness of the apple combined with the salty pretzel and nutty peanut butter will definitely satisfy those craving cravings! Enjoy your yummy snacks, mama-to-be!

Enjoy it while you can! Indulge in all your cravings and have fun with the pregnancy treats. It's one of the perks that comes with being pregnant and definitely a great reason to enjoy your favorite foods without guilt! ;D

That's so true, I feel like enjoying some extra treats when pregnant is part of the whole experience. It's good to indulge sometimes and cravings are definitely part of the fun! It's one those rare occasions to enjoy treats without guilt :D I've been trying to keep it healthy overall but have been giving in to a few extra sweets here and there too, it feels so nice!

It's definitely one of life's pleasures to indulge during pregnancy - especially because it's such a short season in our lives! Enjoy every moment and those precious treats along the way :)

Reactions: koala
You're absolutely right! Why not enjoy these little pleasures in life, especially since they're so few in pregnancy! I think a lot of us forget that and go overboard on restricting ourselves during this time, so it's great to be reminded to indulge responsibly :)

Totally agree! It's a great mindset to have - especially given how few 'little pleasures' there are during pregnancy! Let's enjoy them while we can and in moderation, of course.

Reactions: queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu