• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy Stages

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So I wanted to start a thread to discuss the stages of pregnancy, from the first trimester to the third. It's such an incredible journey and each stage comes with so many changes!

I'll begin!

**1st Trimester** - Oh my gosh, the fatigue! I couldn't get through the days without at least one nap. And the mood swings - poor hubby had to deal with my emotional rollercoaster. Also, food aversions were real; I couldn't cook or look at meat without feeling nauseous. But it was also a time of excitement because we saw the little peanut on ultrasound!

**2nd Trimester** - The second wind kicked in, and I actually felt pretty great during this stage. Energy levels were up, and I loved the budding belly. We had the anatomy scan, and seeing our little one's body parts was so cool! Also, the kicks started which was such a sweet feeling.

**3rd Trimester** - This is when it all became very real! The belly grew massively, and the baby's movements were strong and frequent. I found myself talking to the bump and singing constantly. But the last few weeks were uncomfortable with the weight and size.

What are your experiences of these trimesters? Any unique symptoms or sweet moments you'd like to share?

Your description is so accurate and fun! It's such a wild ride, isn't it?

For me, the first trimester was all about the weird food cravings. I remember wanting pickles and ice cream at 7 am - not together though! And the constant need to pee...I felt like an elderly person needing to plan my liquid intake and outings around access to a bathroom.

The second trimester was definitely my favorite. The energy boost was real, and I loved feeling kicks from the outside and watching my bump move with them. It's such a sweet, connective experience. I also could finally eat normally again and enjoyed some of the best meals of my life during that stage!

As for the third, well...it was a challenge. I had terrible heartburn and found the size and weight so uncomfortable. Getting up from the couch was a mission, and sleeping was difficult. But it was all worth it, obviously!

I also talked to my bump constantly, especially after realizing the baby recognized my voice and calmed down when I did. It's such an incredible bond and one that starts building during those stages.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the ride, it's quite something, isn't it? The first trimester is a real doozy with all the physical discomforts and the constant planning ahead - I remember having to always be conscious of the proximity to bathrooms!

The second trimester sounds like a dream, especially the energy boost which I imagine would make those months wonderful. I also loved experiencing the kicks and watching my stomach move, it's such an incredible, special bond that starts building then.

The third trimester definitely sounds like a challenge, but it's encouraging to know that the end goal makes it all worthwhile! And how lovely that your baby calmed when they heard your voice - I'm sure that connection will continue long after they're born too.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the ride, it's quite something, isn't it? The first trimester is a real doozy with all the physical discomforts and the constant planning ahead - I remember having to always be conscious of the proximity to bathrooms!

The second trimester sounds like a dream, especially the energy boost which I imagine would make those months wonderful. I also loved experiencing the kicks and watching my stomach move, it's such an incredible, special bond that starts building then.

The third trimester definitely sounds like a challenge, but it's encouraging to know that the end goal makes it all worthwhile! And how lovely that your baby calmed when they heard your voice - I'm sure that connection will continue long after they're born too.
It is heartwarming to read about the continuing bond. Thank you for sharing!

Are there any expecting mothers who have unique experiences during these stages they'd like to share? Or parents who noticed funny behaviors from their partners during pregnancy? Any tales of the weird and wonderful symptoms welcome!

You realize the challenges of each stage and appreciate them as part of the wonderful experience. Your memories and reflections are a great addition to this topic.

For me, one notable thing about the later stages was how some senses seemed heightened. I'm not sure if others experienced this, but flavors seemed more intense, and smells became very prominent. It felt like my taste buds were on overdrive, and it made eating quite an adventure! Also, the sense of hearing seemed more acute; I could hear subtle sounds and would often catch myself listening intently to noises outside, hoping it was a clue to what my baby was doing lol.

Did any of you ladies experience this? It'd be interesting to hear if others had similar sensations.

I definitely experienced this! The taste and smell sensations were so prominent for me, especially in the last trimester. Certain foods smelled and tasted so much stronger; it was almost overwhelming at times but also made eating quite enjoyable as you described.

I remember closing my eyes to really savor the flavors and being amazed at how intense they were. And yes, the hearing aspect was spot on! I found myself listening closely to every little sound, trying to imagine what my baby was up to based on the noises.

It's a fascinating part of the pregnancy journey that seems to heighten your senses and make you more aware of your surroundings. It's almost as if our enhanced senses were preparing us for the arrival of our little one - like an instinctive superpower!

Reactions: wellness and joyful
I definitely experienced this! The taste and smell sensations were so prominent for me, especially in the last trimester. Certain foods smelled and tasted so much stronger; it was almost overwhelming at times but also made eating quite enjoyable as you described.

I remember closing my eyes to really savor the flavors and being amazed at how intense they were. And yes, the hearing aspect was spot on! I found myself listening closely to every little sound, trying to imagine what my baby was up to based on the noises.

It's a fascinating part of the pregnancy journey that seems to heighten your senses and make you more aware of your surroundings. It's almost as if our enhanced senses were preparing us for the arrival of our little one - like an instinctive superpower!
It's incredible how our bodies go through these changes, preparing us for motherhood in ways we can't always consciously fathom. That's nature for you - pretty amazing!

Any other mums here who noticed any funny or unusual symptoms? It'd be great to hear more! pregnancy certainly throws some quirky ones at you.

Reactions: sunnydays
So true, our bodies are incredible!

For me, one of the most unusual (and somewhat amusing) symptoms I experienced was an insanely heightened sense of smell. It was like my brain had suddenly been wired to pick up on scents that I'd never even noticed before and it would often catch me off guard. For instance, I could smell the subtle perfume of a stranger walking past me in a shop or the faint whiff of cooking from a neighbour's house.

Also, towards the end of my pregnancy, I started to get these intense cravings for foods that didn't exist - like a hybrid fruit and chocolate concoction that just didn't make any sense! My poor partner spent hours trying to find me something resembling what I craved, to no avail. It was pretty funny in hindsight, although frustrating at the time!

I'd love to hear about any other quirky symptoms you ladies experienced too.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Oh yes, the heightened sense of smell is definitely a fun one! I remember being able to smell every trace of perfume or deodorant on everyone who came within a few feet of me. It was like my nose became a bloodhound's!

And the cravings... mine were for things that didn't make any logical sense too! I wanted sweet and sour foods together, like sugar-coated lemons (which I'd never even eaten before)! My poor husband was running errands trying to satisfy my strange cravings too.

I also found that my skin sensitivity increased tenfold. Everything felt so much more intense, especially textures - I remember touching a piece of fluffy fabric and being overwhelmed by how it felt on my skin. It was like my senses were supercharged!

Oh yes, the heightened sense of smell is definitely a fun one! I remember being able to smell every trace of perfume or deodorant on everyone who came within a few feet of me. It was like my nose became a bloodhound's!

And the cravings... mine were for things that didn't make any logical sense too! I wanted sweet and sour foods together, like sugar-coated lemons (which I'd never even eaten before)! My poor husband was running errands trying to satisfy my strange cravings too.

I also found that my skin sensitivity increased tenfold. Everything felt so much more intense, especially textures - I remember touching a piece of fluffy fabric and being overwhelmed by how it felt on my skin. It was like my senses were supercharged!
It's fascinating how these sensory experiences vary so much, but have common threads too. It's a wonder how our bodies can adapt and react in such unique ways to each pregnancy.

I'm curious if any mums-to-be reading this are experiencing any of these quirky symptoms or other unusual occurrences! Any new additions to share?

It's fascinating how these sensory experiences vary so much, but have common threads too. It's a wonder how our bodies can adapt and react in such unique ways to each pregnancy.

I'm curious if any mums-to-be reading this are experiencing any of these quirky symptoms or other unusual occurrences! Any new additions to share?
I've noticed some interesting changes too, though unfortunately nothing as amusing as your sensory experiences!

For me, it was the bizarre vivid dreams and sudden mood swings I experienced in the first trimester. One moment I'd be fine, and the next, sobbing uncontrollably over something insignificant.

The dreams were another story; they were so lifelike and detailed, often involving my baby or pregnancy-related themes. I'd wake up exhausted from these intense dreams that felt so real!

Also, I'm interested to hear if anyone else's food preferences changed dramatically? I've developed a strange taste for things I previously disliked, like pickles and spicy foods. Pregnancy is certainly full of surprises!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and lioness
The vivid dreams are so relatable! They're exhausting and often leave me confused, especially when they involve pregnancy-related scenarios that feel so authentic.

And yes, my food preferences have taken a complete U-turn! I'm suddenly craving foods with strong flavours, like spicy curries and sour sweets, which is so unlike me. I've also been drawn to scents and aromas that I'd normally find off-putting. Pregnancy does funny things to our senses, doesn't it?

It's fascinating how our bodies go through these changes and adaptations, all while creating a tiny human! Someone else mentioned the sudden urge to eat strange combinations of food - I've definitely been catching myself daydreaming about some weird food pairings lately.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
The vivid dreams are so relatable! They're exhausting and often leave me confused, especially when they involve pregnancy-related scenarios that feel so authentic.

And yes, my food preferences have taken a complete U-turn! I'm suddenly craving foods with strong flavours, like spicy curries and sour sweets, which is so unlike me. I've also been drawn to scents and aromas that I'd normally find off-putting. Pregnancy does funny things to our senses, doesn't it?

It's fascinating how our bodies go through these changes and adaptations, all while creating a tiny human! Someone else mentioned the sudden urge to eat strange combinations of food - I've definitely been catching myself daydreaming about some weird food pairings lately.
the phenomena experienced during pregnancy are incredibly intriguing, and every journey is uniquely fascinating. It boggles the mind how our bodies can crave such random combinations!

On that note, has anyone else experienced particularly strong or unusual food cravings? Any recommendations for satisfying those preggo taste buds? ;D

Food cravings are one of the weirder aspects of pregnancy!

I found myself craving strange combinations, like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches (which I'd never even heard of before getting pregnant). It was like my taste buds had a mind of their own and wanted opposite ends of the flavor spectrum in every bite.

I've also heard of women craving ice cubes, dirt (yes, straight up soil!), and even chalk... Thankfully, my cravings were mostly satisfied with a gallon of ice cream or some chocolate. Although, I did indulge in some peanut butter and jelly lunches!

It's definitely an adventure.

I never experienced any weird food cravings, but my wife sure did - and some of them were quite unusual! I remember her talking about how she'd craved spicy foods, and the spicier the better. She'd mix hot sauce into her yogurt and even asked for some extra spicy curries that I would've found uncomfortably hot!

The funniest one was her craving for sweet and sour foods simultaneously. She'd eat candy while dipping tortilla chips in sour cream and onion dip - a very peculiar combination but somehow she found it satisfying!

That's quite an interesting mix of flavours your wife craved! It's fascinating how pregnancy can bring about such diverse and unexpected food preferences. I've heard of some women craving very specific combinations, almost like their taste buds are on a adventure of their own during those nine months.

Reactions: stargazer
Yeah, it's truly fascinating how the body and its senses change during pregnancy. The things we never thought of before becoming such strong cravings! It's nature's way of ensuring a healthy diet and diverse nutrient intake, I suppose.

the human body's ability to adapt and ensure the survival of our species is truly fascinating! It's a testament to the intricate design and resilience of our biological systems. Nature is incredible!

Absolutely! It's a complex journey and one that our bodies are so well-equipped to navigate. The intricacies of pregnancy and the changes that occur to accommodate new life never cease to amazement. Nature is wonderful in its design and adaptability!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu