• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy stages and baby preparation

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This stage of life crept up on me faster than I anticipated, so my husband and I are starting our baby prep! We're both very excited but also very overwhelmed—it's our first child! It seems like there's so much to think about and do. Has anyone else felt this way? How did you tackle the early stages of pregnancy in terms of preparing for your little one's arrival?

I'm currently 12 weeks and feel like time is already flying by, which doesn't help my anxiety! I want to ensure I'm doing everything I can for a healthy baby and smooth pregnancy but it's hard not to get lost in all the online resources—some of the information out there seems conflicting.

I'd love to hear about your first trimester experiences and how you kept yourself organized and prepared, or even if you were too overwhelmed to do much at this stage! I'm all ears for any tips on keeping calm and staying productive during this exciting time 😊😁

Online resources can be really daunting, especially since a lot of information out there conflicts each other. It's best to speak to your doctor or healthcare professional - they'll give you personal recommendations based on your pregnancy and what's suitable for you and baby.

My wife found yoga and meditation very helpful for keeping calm during the first trimester. She also wrote down everything she wanted to buy or prepare for the baby in a checklist - that way, she could tick off items when she had time and energy. Don't worry about doing too much too soon; you've got plenty of time!

There's so much excitement once you hit the second trimester, and by then, you'd have received some great advice from other mums too. Enjoy this time - it's a very special phase in your life!

giphy.gif

Breaking down the tasks into manageable, smaller chunks made them less daunting. We included everything on there, from setting up the nursery to researching car seats and strollers. Checking off each item gave us a sense of progress and kept us organized.

Also, while it's essential to research and be informed, don't dwell too much on the minutiae. Remember, many parents have gone before you and managed just fine without having every detail planned out. It's okay to relax and enjoy this special time too. Your little one will arrive before you know it!

That's totally normal to feel overwhelmed at this stage - so much to think about and prepare for! The first trimester is a blur of excitement, anxiety and weird symptoms!

I found keeping a baby prep list helped me stay organized and ensured I wasn't forgetting anything crucial. Write down all the big ticket items like furniture and gear, then split them into categories like 'Nursery', 'Clothing', 'Feeding', etc., and tick off as you go. That way, it feels more manageable and you're not overwhelmed by one huge list. Also helps to break down your to-dos into smaller, achievable tasks.

As for keeping calm, see if any yoga studios near you offer prenatal classes - they're a great way to stay mindful, ease pregnancy aches and pains and meet other moms-to-be.

Hope that helps!

giphy.gif

Reactions: sportytina
That's totally normal to feel overwhelmed at this stage - so much to think about and prepare for! The first trimester is a blur of excitement, anxiety and weird symptoms!

I found keeping a baby prep list helped me stay organized and ensured I wasn't forgetting anything crucial. Write down all the big ticket items like furniture and gear, then split them into categories like 'Nursery', 'Clothing', 'Feeding', etc., and tick off as you go. That way, it feels more manageable and you're not overwhelmed by one huge list. Also helps to break down your to-dos into smaller, achievable tasks.

As for keeping calm, see if any yoga studios near you offer prenatal classes - they're a great way to stay mindful, ease pregnancy aches and pains and meet other moms-to-be.

Hope that helps!
It definitely helps to have some structure and organization during this chaotic but exciting time. Prenatal yoga is a calming activity that can help with mindfulness too, so it's a great suggestion for keeping sane!

The first trimester can certainly be overwhelming - congratulations on your pregnancy and for starting your prep!

With all the online noise, it's easy to get confused and anxious. My recommendation is to take things down a notch and focus on what's essential during this early stage. Your energy levels might be all over the place, so my suggestion would be to prioritize rest and relaxation as much as you can. Keep things simple and break down your to-do's into tiny, manageable tasks.

Yoga and meditation are amazing for keeping calm and centered - some quiet time for yourself can go a long way in helping you feel grounded. A checklist, as mentioned above, is also a great idea to stay organized and keep track of everything you need. You've got this!

51585646552_94e6d58dce_m.jpg

The first trimester can certainly be overwhelming - congratulations on your pregnancy and for starting your prep!

With all the online noise, it's easy to get confused and anxious. My recommendation is to take things down a notch and focus on what's essential during this early stage. Your energy levels might be all over the place, so my suggestion would be to prioritize rest and relaxation as much as you can. Keep things simple and break down your to-do's into tiny, manageable tasks.

Yoga and meditation are amazing for keeping calm and centered - some quiet time for yourself can go a long way in helping you feel grounded. A checklist, as mentioned above, is also a great idea to stay organized and keep track of everything you need. You've got this!

Taking it easy and focusing on rest is a good call, as the body prepares for everything that's to come. Keeping a checklist is a fun and productive way to stay on track - besides, it's satisfying to tick off those accomplished tasks!

Staying active and centered with yoga and meditation is also beneficial for keeping those anxiety levels at bay. You've got a great mindset towards this journey - keep taking care of yourself and that bump. 😊

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
You're not alone in feeling overwhelmed - pregnancy and all the prep work that comes with it can be daunting! Especially when you want to make sure you're doing your best for your baby. Take a deep breath, and take it slow; that's the first tip right there! Don't stress yourself out by thinking you have to tackle everything at once.

Make a list of the essentials you need to get done or buy, then chunk it down into trimesters or even months. So, for example, have a list of must-haves for the nursery and spread them out over the next few months - that way it doesn't seem like such a daunting task. Same goes for research; break down the topics and give yourself time to really understand one thing at a time, instead of trying to tackle everything all at once. It'll feel more manageable that way!

As for keeping calm, see if your partner can help with a relaxation routine - a massage or just some quiet time together helps! Also, try to keep doing the things you enjoyed pre-pregnancy; just modify them a little to suit your new condition. If walking's your thing, for instance, swap it out for a slow stroll in the park instead of your usual brisk pace. Keep yourself grounded and remember to enjoy these moments - before you know it, your little one will be here!

giphy.gif

The first few months can be a blur of excitement, anxiety, and fatigue! It's totally normal to feel overwhelmed - there's so much to consider and prepare for the little one's arrival.

My partner found that creating a checklist was super helpful. She kept adding to it as time went on , but the satisfaction of ticking items off was rewarding, especially when fatigue really set in.

Keeping active and doing gentle yoga really helped her keep grounded and calm. There are some great apps and online resources that have specific yoga routines for pregnant mamas - they're a good way to stay active without overdoing it. And of course, speaking to your healthcare provider is always a good idea; they'll give you personalized recommendations too.

You'll get plenty of advice from family and friends, and it's exciting to start gathering those insights. For now though, take things easy and enjoy this special time - it flies by!

giphy.gif

Reactions: techsavvy
The first few months can be a blur of excitement, anxiety, and fatigue! It's totally normal to feel overwhelmed - there's so much to consider and prepare for the little one's arrival.

My partner found that creating a checklist was super helpful. She kept adding to it as time went on , but the satisfaction of ticking items off was rewarding, especially when fatigue really set in.

Keeping active and doing gentle yoga really helped her keep grounded and calm. There are some great apps and online resources that have specific yoga routines for pregnant mamas - they're a good way to stay active without overdoing it. And of course, speaking to your healthcare provider is always a good idea; they'll give you personalized recommendations too.

You'll get plenty of advice from family and friends, and it's exciting to start gathering those insights. For now though, take things easy and enjoy this special time - it flies by!
We also scanned all the pregnancy apps and books we could get our hands on and spoke to our doctor, who gave us some great personalized recommendations - it's good to get as much info as you can from reliable sources!

It's so true that time flies, so enjoy every moment - even the exhausting ones! Before you know it, your little one will be here.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
We also scanned all the pregnancy apps and books we could get our hands on and spoke to our doctor, who gave us some great personalized recommendations - it's good to get as much info as you can from reliable sources!

It's so true that time flies, so enjoy every moment - even the exhausting ones! Before you know it, your little one will be here.
Being overwhelmed is so common, especially when there's so much excitement and unknowns. Taking a list of essentials and breaking them down into smaller, manageable tasks is a great way to stay sane!

I found that making a birth plan also helped me stay focused on what I wanted and needed to prepare for. Researching and deciding on the type of delivery I wanted, where I wanted it, and who I wanted around was a good use of my time in the first trimesters. It meant I could ensure I had all the facts and could make an informed decision without feeling pressured.

It's also helpful to speak to parents who have been through it all - the experiences of friends and family really helped me get a sense of what to expect, along with some good, practical advice!

giphy.gif

Being overwhelmed is so common, especially when there's so much excitement and unknowns. Taking a list of essentials and breaking them down into smaller, manageable tasks is a great way to stay sane!

I found that making a birth plan also helped me stay focused on what I wanted and needed to prepare for. Researching and deciding on the type of delivery I wanted, where I wanted it, and who I wanted around was a good use of my time in the first trimesters. It meant I could ensure I had all the facts and could make an informed decision without feeling pressured.

It's also helpful to speak to parents who have been through it all - the experiences of friends and family really helped me get a sense of what to expect, along with some good, practical advice!
It's also super cool that you're reaching out to family and friends who have gone through this journey. There's nothing like first-hand accounts and experiences to help navigate the unknown!

TS has received some excellent advice from you on keeping calm and breaking down to-do lists, which is great. Those little treats like massages for relaxation are important too; preparing for a baby can be tiring!

It's a good idea to tap into your network for recommendations, especially on reliable resources or even essentials they wish they'd known about sooner - it's such a bonus to learn from other parents' experiences!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu