• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy must-haves

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your ultimate pregnancy essentials!

We all want to be prepared and not overpack for the arrival of our little one, so what are some maternity must-haves that got you through your pregnancy? Any comfort items, clothing essentials, or weird but wonderful recommendations welcome - bump or no bump!

Reactions: sunnydays
I found my pregnancy pillow to be an absolute godsend, it provided much-needed support for my back and bump and helped me get some rest through the various aches and pains.

Also, I didn't realise how handy a small stool would be until I started getting some serious sciatic pain - it helped me get in and out of chairs and even just to relieve the pressure when sitting down.

I'd also recommend some maternity tights - they're super comfy and a bump band is a good alternative if your shirts are riding up, which can be annoying when you're trying to keep things cool.

Those are some great suggestions! I too swear by my pregnancy pillow; the support it provided helped me sleep so much better, especially towards the end of my pregnancy when finding a comfortable position was challenging.

I also found that a simple body pillow can serve the same purpose as a stool - helping to ease getting in and out of bed or a chair. It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference!

The maternity tights recommendation is spot on too - they're so comfortable, especially on days when you want some extra support around your bump. I'd add that a few pairs of cheap but comfortable slippers are worth keeping around. With swollen feet and changing shoe sizes, they came in handy during my pregnancy and beyond while chasing after a newborn!

I totally agree about the body pillow - it's amazing how it helps with simple things like getting in and out of bed! And slippers are a great idea, especially for swollen feet, which most mums-to-be experience. I'd also recommend a good pregnancy massage oil - it helped me keep on top of aches and pains as my bump grew.

Massage oil is such a great idea! It's amazing how a Bump-safe massage oil can help with comfort and easing the aches. I'll have to add that to my list too - thank you!

Massage oils are a godsend, especially during the later stages when discomfort tends to rise. I found that using bump-safe massage oil also helped me connect and bond with my baby too. It's a great way to pamper yourself and ease some of those pregnancy aches - you definitely deserve it!

Great tip! I've heard that some oils also help with stretching skin - to help prevent/reduce stretch marks as baby grows. Any recommendations for good brands/scents to try?

Also, did you DIY or go for a professional massage - and did you find one type was better than the other for you? So many questions! But basically, I want to soak up all the tips for comfort - especially as someone who suffers from muscle aches.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Oils are a fantastic idea - I found that coconut oil worked really well for helping with skin stretching, and the scent is so lovely too - very relaxing. I also used a store-bought blend that had a really beautiful, fresh scent and was specifically designed to prevent stretch marks. A friend of mine swore by almond oil as well.

In terms of massages, I found that a professional one was best - especially towards the end of my pregnancy when aches and pains were so intense. I felt safer being in the hands of someone who really knew what they were doing and could target the specific muscles that needed work. My partner also gave me foot rubs and back scratches which were amazing, but didn't have the same impact as a real massage!

I hope you're feeling okay and managing those aches - it's worth it in the end, right?!

Professional massages are a great idea! It's so important to get some targeted relief for those pregnancy aches and pains. Store-bought oils sound like a lovely treat too - especially with beautiful, fresh scents. worth noting for the future!

Almond oil is top notch too and such a relaxing scent. I'll add these all to my list; thanks so much for the recommendations!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Thank you! I'm hoping it'll make me feel a bit better about the upcoming changes my body is going through - and also some of those products are just so cool :)
I'm curious what other people's must-haves are.

Seeing as you're preparing for the physical changes ahead, it's a great idea to stock up on products that'll keep you comfortable. You've got some great suggestions from others so far!

I'd also recommend a pregnancy pillow - they're lifesavers when it comes to supporting your bump and keeping comfy throughout the trimesters. Also, maternity leggings or jammies for those days when you want something soft and stretchy!

And of course, keep up the self-care with some indulgent lotions and potions - a pampering session can work wonders for your mood.

What other exciting prep are you doing for the arrival of your little one?

Some great suggestions already! I second the pregnancy pillow, it's a real lifesaver and also recommend maternity leggings - so comfy!

I've also been trying to stock up on some easy, throw together meals that can be frozen for those early days when you just want something simple and convenient but also nutritious. Plus having some snacks ready to go for those hunger pangs - I've heard your appetite can come back quickly!

Other than that it's been all about getting the nursery ready and picking up those final baby essentials - so many tiny socks and singlets! Exciting times!

Great idea to prep some meals ahead of time - you never know how your appetite might change and it's good to have something nutritious and easy to grab. I'll add frozen fruit to the list too, great for throwing into the blender for smoothies when you need something cold and refreshing! Also second the small, handy snacks - maybe some nuts or trail mix too for some extra sustenance!

All the excitement is building!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Prepping frozen fruits for smoothies is such a great idea! Having nutritious snacks on hand like nuts and trail mix is also a brilliant way to keep energy levels stable. The excitement is definitely building - baby prep is so much fun and getting everything ready ahead of time feels so satisfying! :))

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Stocking up on nutritious snacks is a brilliant way to ensure you stay energised, and smoothie prep sounds like a great idea to keep healthy foods readily available! It's a special time - enjoy shopping for those baby essentials and prepping ahead :)

Smoothies are a lifesaver during pregnancy, especially when you're too tired to cook but still need to keep up your energy levels! Prepping some frozen smoothie packs is a great idea - just add liquid and blend for a quick, nutritious meal.

Some other random must-haves I found essential during my pregnancy were:
- A good pregnancy pillow - it makes a world of difference when you're trying to get comfortable at night.
- Reusable cold packs/hot packs - great for aches, pains and swelling.
- Constipation relief remedies - sadly, an inevitable part of pregnancy!

And of course, don't forget the camera - those little moments are so special and worth capturing!

Great tips!

I found smoothies helpful after giving birth too - easy to prepare and nutritious when you're exhausted and recovering.

I'd add nipple cream to the list, for breastfeeding mamas especially those first few days are tough on your nipples!

Also, a baby carrier or sling was a godsend for me, once you get the hang of it, it's so convenient for getting out and about and having hands free. I found a stretchy wrap style one worked best for a newborn but there are so many options.

And finally, as a sleep-deprived new mum, eye masks and ear plugs! Haha. Anything to help you catch some Zzzs when you can.

Reactions: techsavvy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu