• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy Essentials

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The things you'll need during pregnancy will vary widely depending on the stage of pregnancy, and personal preferences. But some are absolute must-haves for comfort, convenience, and safety.

Here's a list of some pregnancy essentials that every expecting mom should consider:

1. Comfortable clothing: Think loose, stretchy, and adjustable as your body changes. Leggings, flowy dresses, and maternity jeans with an elastic waistband will be your best friends.

2. Support Belt: These provide relief for aches and pains by helping support your bump and improving posture. They can help with backache, pelvic pain, and even carpal tunnel symptoms.

3. Pregnancy Pillow: These pillows are designed to relieve pregnant women of sleep discomfort and offer support for any sleep position.

4. Maternity Underwear: Comfy bras and panties that accommodate a growing waistline and changing body shape are essential. Look for wireless bras with drop-down cups for nursing.

5. Prenatal Vitamins: Essential for ensuring you and the baby get adequate nutrients, especially if you're prone to deficiencies or have a less than perfect diet.

6. Pregnancy Journal/Album: Many moms love to document their journey with photos and memories, especially during milestones like pregnancy.

7. Healthy Snacks: Keep nutritious snacks readily available to help combat cravings, hunger pangs, and energy dips. Fresh fruits, nuts, granola bars, and healthy smoothies are great options.

8. Hydration Helper: Always have a reusable water bottle on hand to remind you to stay hydrated, which is crucial for your little one's development. Cute, inventive ones with measurements can make hydration fun!

9. Medical Kit: Keep a small kit with a thermometer, pregnancy-safe medications (like acetaminophen), and essential oils or creams for aches and discomfort.

10. Nursery Basics: It's never too early to start preparing! Cot, crib, or bassinet, bedding, and some comfortable sleep attire like sleep sacks or swaddle blankets are must-haves.

11. Labor Must Haves: You'll want to have a hospital bag ready well in advance with items for both labor and the newborn. Think comfy clothes for mom, entertainment, snacks, and of course, that going home outfit for baby!

There's so much more you could add to the list, but these are some real essentials for pregnancy. What have other moms found to be their saviors during those nine months? What's in your essential kit?

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Some additional items I found essential during my pregnancies were a good body cream/oil to combat stretch marks and keep skin hydrated (coconut oil was my go-to), and also a pregnancy back rest to help with comfort when sitting or sleeping.

I also found that a simple pregnancy app on my phone to track progress and baby development was exciting, and of course, some soothing music or meditation apps helped calm me down during those fidgety moments.

Fresh socks and insoles were also a godsend, as my feet seemed to forever be swelling! So comfy, cozy socks were a treat.

Lastly, I'd recommend adding a small notepad and pen to your kit - great for jotting down questions for the next doctor's visit or even writing down some memories or thoughts during the pregnancy journey.

Some great additional recommendations!

I also found a pregnancy pillow helpful - a total godsend for comfort, especially towards the end of my pregnancies when sleeping became tricky.

I second the recommendation for a pregnancy app - I used one throughout and loved keeping track of the weekly development, it made everything feel so real! I also used a few mindfulness apps which were great for keeping me calm, particularly during those late night wakefulness periods.

Comfy socks are an excellent idea - and an indulgent treat that can be enjoyed long after the pregnancy too, bonus!

A notepad is a simple but brilliant addition; I wish I'd thought of that earlier in my pregnancies to jot down all the questions that sprang to mind at random times.

Those are some great ideas!

I didn't use a pregnancy pillow, but I wish I had - comfort is so important and often overlooked! It's such a simple thing that can make a huge difference.

Apps are fantastic for keeping track of things, especially the development updates. And it's a good way to keep calm too - I found meditation apps helpful for the same reason, particularly when anxiety would strike.

It's amazing how something as simple as a notepad can be so useful - often the most practical ideas are the most overlooked!

Comfort is key, and it's great to hear that you found meditation apps helpful for managing anxiety - there's a lot to be said for simple solutions! Notepads are so useful, especially for jotting down all the recommendations and tips you receive too. There's so much to keep on top of during pregnancy, so any organisational tools are welcome!

Simple solutions can make a huge difference, and it's a great idea to focus on comfort and organisation during this time. Notepads and pens are a pregnancy essential you never knew you needed! It's wonderful to hear that people are finding ways to manage anxiety - a pregnant mind can be a very busy place!

Notepads and pens are such a good idea, especially for jotting down all the things you need to remember when you’re organizing your new baby prep. I agree that keeping anxiety at bay is so important, it’s an exciting but equally overwhelming time! Having a centralized list or notes to hand is so reassuring - plus you can keep track of all those wonderful nursery ideas springing into mind too!

Keeping a notepad and pen handy for those sudden bursts of inspiration and anxious thoughts is such a simple yet effective idea! It's a lovely way to keep on top of things amidst the excitement and uncertainty - a centralized list to organize the chaos, especially with all the new baby prep. It's also a wonderful way to look back one day at all the adorable nursery ideas you came up with.

That's a great idea! I've been using my notes app for the same purpose, but there's something romantic about having a physical notepad to jot down all the thoughts and ideas. Plus, it makes it easier to quickly communicate with my partner when he walks into the room mid-brainstorming session!

That's a great idea! I've been using my notes app for the same purpose, but there's something romantic about having a physical notepad to jot down all the thoughts and ideas. Plus, it makes it easier to quickly communicate with my partner when he walks into the room mid-brainstorming session!
There's certainly a charm to physically writing down notes and having them tangibly close at hand. It's also a sweet way to include your partner - some quality time brain storming and preparing together!

There's certainly a charm to physically writing down notes and having them tangibly close at hand. It's also a sweet way to include your partner - some quality time brain storming and preparing together!
That's true. There's a lot of excitement in preparing together for the arrival of our little one, and the physical act of checking off items on a shared to-do list is enchanting.

The joy of nesting and getting everything we need before the baby comes can be so much fun! It's like preparing for a big adventure, having all the essential supplies ready and within reach. The anticipation is exhilarating!

It really does feel wonderful to prepare and stock up on necessities before the little one arrives - it's a special form of excitement! I agree, it's like gearing up for an adventure, and it adds to the thrill of awaiting a new family member. It's a fun and memorable time.

It's such a unique excitement - prepares you mentally and gets you even more excited for baby's arrival! I remember nesting being so comforting, it made everything feel that little bit more real, after months of anxiety and anticipation!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu