• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy Essentials

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many moms-to-be shared their essential items for pregnancy in a discussion thread. The most mentioned item was a body pillow, which helps with comfort and support during and after pregnancy. Another popular item is a maternity support band, which aids comfort and enables expectant mothers to keep wearing their regular clothes for longer. Both items were highly recommended for pregnancy, labour, and the postpartum period.

Other useful items include maternity belts, wedge pillows, and general pillows, which help with comfort, support, and propping up baby bump while sleeping or sitting. These items are useful throughout pregnancy and also handy post-birth. Maternity belts alleviate hip and back pressure and are a godsend for some mamas-to-be.

While some women sang the praises of these must-have items, others found them unnecessary or discovered other helpful products such as maternity support wedges that help with heartburn and acid reflux. Ultimately, each pregnancy is different, and every expectant mother has unique needs when it comes to comfort and support. However, there's no harm in being prepared and trying out some of these popular recommendations. It's a good idea to stock up on these items early so you can figure out what works best for you and your bump!

Hello everyone,

As many of you here are expecting, I thought it might be helpful to have a thread dedicated to must-haves and general recommendations for products that helped you through pregnancy!

What are some items you found most useful during your pregnancies? This could include clothing, comfort aids, nutrition/supplements, skincare, books or any other items that got you through those nine months.

I'll go first! My pregnancy essential was a body pillow - it helped me get comfortable in bed and supported my bump. I also lived in loose maxi dresses and invested in a good pregnancy Pillow for extra comfort.

What were your essentials?

A good maternity support band was a godsend for me in my third trimester! Wore it all day every day - held bump up and took the weight off my pelvis. Would definitely recommend investing in one as standard. Also second the body pillow, I lived with one through two pregnancies and will no doubt use it again this time around!

Great tips! I found a maternity support band so useful too - they really take the strain off your back and bump doesn't feel so heavy! Also meant I could keep wearing my normal jeans with the button done up for a few weeks longer haha!

I'll also second the body pillow recommendation. I found it especially useful for propping me up in bed when I was huge and uncomfortable - helped me get some sleep!

Those are some great suggestions! I've heard such bands are a godsend, especially for keeping one's wardrobe somewhat accessible for a few weeks longer - and who doesn't want to feel a little more comfortable in an uncomfortable situation?

I'll have to keep note of the body pillow too, it sounds like a good investment for future use!

Those products are definitely worth packing in your 'hospital bag'! The band helped me keep my pre-pregnancy pants on for several weeks into pregnancy, and I agree it's such a comfort booster! And yep, body pillows are amazing - even beyond pregnancy as they're so versatile for feeding/cuddling/propping up baby when they arrive. It's a good idea to grab one early so you have lots of time to figure out the best way to use it and get comfortable with it before the big day!

Absolutely! I didn't realize how useful those bands could be, what a great idea to keep your regular pants fitting for longer! And body pillows are the best - definitely worth getting one early and getting used to. I found mine so helpful when breastfeeding, it gave me some much needed back support too which was a lovely bonus!

Those bands are such a great investment - they make you feel so comfortable and save you some money too! I completely agree about the body pillows, they're so supportive especially for breastfeeding; it's a good job they're so versatile!

They're a pregnancy must-have! I also found them super helpful post-birth when baby is small and you're feeding around the clock - great for propping up the baby, especially if you're exhausted and don't want to keep getting up.

They sound like a great idea! I'm all about anything that can help make life easier right now - I'm so tired. Can you recommend any specific types, or which ones worked best for you? I want to make sure I have some on hand before the baby arrives.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Body pillows and wedge pillows are the most helpful! Body pillows can help support your bump when sleeping or even sitting up, and wedge pillows are great for getting comfy and also helping with heartburn/acid reflux - which has been frequent for me this pregnancy! I've heard good things about maternity belts too but haven't tried one yet.

Pillows are definitely a must-have! I found that the right pillows can make all the difference for sleeping comfortably as your bump grows. Maternity belts can also be a godsend - they helped me ease some of the hip and back pressure when I was further along. They're worth a shot if you haven't tried one yet!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
Pillows were a big help for me too! I researched and bought a few different types - it was definitely worth the investment because they've been so useful, especially the maternity belt. It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference. I didn't feel as though I needed extra support until my bump got bigger, but once I had it I wished I'd got it sooner!

I felt the same way about pillows - when my bump was small, I thought the pillow was unnecessary, but once the baby grew a bit more and put some pressure on my back, the support became really welcome! A good maternity belt can make such a difference for comfort, especially as your belly grows throughout pregnancy.

maternity-bands-aug-2023-722x406.jpg

Pillows definitely come in handy later on - great for propping and supporting all manner of aches and pains! I didn't use a maternity belt, but have heard good things from many mums-to-be who found them a godsend. A friend swear by the support it offered her growing bump, especially towards the end of her pregnancy.

Reactions: mamamia
Pillows are a must-have for sure - so versatile! I'm hearing good things about maternity belts too, seems like they're a real help for some mamas-to-be. I might give it a go on my next pregnancy, sounds like it could really help with comfort and support.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
Definitely! Pillows are a great idea and maternity belts can provide that extra support where needed - especially towards the end of pregnancy when comfort is so important. They're definitely worth a go and reasonably priced too, win-win!

Maternity belts are a godsend - they provide much needed support for the growing bump, and back support too which is super important as your centre of gravity changes. Would highly recommend!

Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu