• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Pregnancy and Parenting Milestone Memories

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm due to give birth to my first child next month, and while I've been preparing physically and emotionally for this new chapter of life, I've also been reflecting on milestones from previous pregnancies to help manage my own expectations.

My sister had her second child recently, and as we chatted about our impending birthdays (baby mine vs hers!), she mentioned how much her toddler helped with baby's care. Another friend is expecting her third, and has started planning with the children how they might help care for the new baby.

I had a conversation with my partner - who'll be staying home with me during leave - and we wondered whether it'd be possible to have our one-year-old help in small ways when the baby arrives.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
My sister's comments made me realize that this is a common milestone in many pregnancies, and I think it would make a big difference for my family. I'm considering starting to involve our one-year-old in small ways with caring for the new baby early on.

It might be as simple as letting her place toys or books next to the baby's bed, or even just explaining what's happening during delivery in a way she can understand. My sister mentioned that her toddler ended up being pretty fascinated by the whole process and enjoyed helping with small tasks after birth.

I'm curious - did anyone else experience this same kind of milestone earlier on in their parenting journey? What kinds of simple tasks or activities helped your toddler adjust to having a new sibling?'

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
One thing we did with our toddler was explain the process of delivery and what to expect when the baby came home. We didn't go into too much detail, but just enough to make them feel included. We also involved them in small tasks like picking out toys or clothes for the baby.

Around 6 months after the baby's birth, we started giving our toddler special jobs to help with caring for the new baby. For example, they were in charge of bringing me a towel during bath time for the baby, or helping to hand me diapers. It was amazing how proud and responsible they felt doing these small tasks.

We also made sure to have one-on-one time with our toddler regularly, making it clear that even though there's now a new baby, we still love and prioritize them just as much. It helped them feel more secure and settled into their role as big sibling.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu