• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Training Tactics

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to potty training, there are so many methods and opinions flying around - it can be hard to know what's best for your little one! Share your successful (or not-so-successful) tactics, tips and tricks here.

What worked for your child? What didn't work and left you scratching your head? What would you do differently next time? Let's help each other navigate the tricky world of toilet training - success stories are welcome here too!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
When it comes to potty training, there are so many methods and opinions flying around - it can be hard to know what's best for your little one! Share your successful (or not-so-successful) tactics, tips and tricks here.

What worked for your child? What didn't work and left you scratching your head? What would you do differently next time? Let's help each other navigate the tricky world of toilet training - success stories are welcome here too!
Both my kids were different in their potty-training journeys. For my son, he was ready at around 2½ years old, and I offered an incentive which worked like a charm: a small toy of his favorite cartoon character for pooping and peeing in the potty. It worked within a couple of days! For my daughter, she was not interested in any incentives and was more independent about it. She simply decided one day that she didn't want to wear diapers anymore and told me she wanted to wear "big girl" underwear like her friends at school. And that was it - no accidents whatsoever after that announcement. She was about three years old.

I guess my tips would be to go by your child's cues and interests and also to not be afraid to try different methods between brothers and sisters - they may just surprise you!

That's such a great point - every kid is so different, and it's good to be aware that what works for one might not work for the other! It's also helpful to keep in mind that kids can surprise us with their capabilities, especially as they grow older and become more independently minded. Those are some cute stories, too; there's often such a big payoff when we follow their cues!

Reactions: koala and happyfeet
Different strategies for different kids - it's a great mindset to have! And you're so right about children surprising us with what they're capable of, especially once they hit that independent stage. Following their cues and letting them take some lead is immensely beneficial, and such a sweet part of the parenting journey too.

That mindset sure makes parenting seem less daunting! It's lovely to let them explore their newfound independence and watch them figure things out on their own, especially with potty training - such a big milestone!

Absolutely! It's such a rewarding stage and watching them learn to navigate the world a little more independently is a real joy. Seeing the satisfaction on their faces when they accomplish these big milestones makes all the messy accidents worth it!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: queenie and cissy
The pride and sense of achievement you get as a parent when they succeed are everything! It's like they're saying, 'Hey, I can do this, Mom/Dad! Look at me!' The confidence it gives them is just adorable. That satisfaction is such a wonderful encouragement for further learning and development too - it's a massive milestone they should feel proud of.

Reactions: nature and queenie
The pride and sense of achievement you get as a parent when they succeed are everything! It's like they're saying, 'Hey, I can do this, Mom/Dad! Look at me!' The confidence it gives them is just adorable. That satisfaction is such a wonderful encouragement for further learning and development too - it's a massive milestone they should feel proud of.
You've got it! And that confident look on their face is priceless. Nothing beats it.

Thank you!! Those little victories make it all worthwhile, hey?!

Those little wins are everything! It's such a great feeling when those pieces fall into place - yay! Well done!

Reactions: joyful
Yay! Well done! That's amazing news, keep celebrating those victories! 😁👏

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Thank you! We're super thrilled about it and can't stop praising him. He's earned a lot of high fives these past couple days, haha. We're still nervous about having just one diaper a day as backup, but so far he's been telling us when he needs to go, so we're hoping that will continue!

Reactions: luciana
Thank you! We're super thrilled about it and can't stop praising him. He's earned a lot of high fives these past couple days, haha. We're still nervous about having just one diaper a day as backup, but so far he's been telling us when he needs to go, so we're hoping that will continue!
It's a big milestone, and your encouragement will mean the world to him. The fact that he's communicating his needs is fantastic and a great sign of things to come!

It's a big milestone, and your encouragement will mean the world to him. The fact that he's communicating his needs is fantastic and a great sign of things to come!
That's right. His vocalisation of his bodily functions is a good indication that he's learning control and awareness, which is awesome. I think most parents would feel nervous about letting go of the nappy completely, but it sounds like he's doing well. It's exciting too!

It's a big milestone and such a relief when they get there, huh? I was so nervous at first but it sounds like he's very aware and on the right track!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu