• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Talk

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's talk potty! Whether you're in the midst of potty training or just starting to think about it, share your experiences here - the ups and downs and everything in between!

What's your current potty situation like? Any funny stories, breakthroughs or challenges you'd like to share? Fire away!

My boy took his sweet time to get the whole potty training down pat. He was about four then - we started when he turned three but it was more of a fun game for him than actual training so it didn't really count haha!

We made sure he had lots of fluids so there'd be plenty of opportunities to practice and also got him some fun underpants with his favorite cartoon characters on them. He loved those and that motivated him to keep trying because he didn't want to wet his favorite superheroes!

Also took him out on a special date - just the two of us - to a toy shop of his choice, and told him that was our reward for him staying clean and dry for a whole week. Might seem like bribery but it worked like a charm and I'm not too proud to say it! Lots of patience, consistent reminder and plenty of encouragement did the trick. Now he's a pro and can't wait to show off whenever anyone asks him if he needs to go!

Currently, my tot is more interested in playing with the potty than actually using it for its intended purpose! Haha... but I'm keeping the training pants and undies on standby. I'm thinking that the interest in reading stories might help create the right atmosphere for some quiet time on the potty too. Might as well capitalize on that!

My boy took about 3 weeks to get the basic concept of potty training down pat. But night time potty training took almost 6 months more. For the longest time, he'd still have a couple of accidents weekly, especially if he was deep asleep. So yeah, definitely a longer journey than I expected but every kid is different!

My boy took about 3 weeks to get the basic concept of potty training down pat. But night time potty training took almost 6 months more. For the longest time, he'd still have a couple of accidents weekly, especially if he was deep asleep. So yeah, definitely a longer journey than I expected but every kid is different!
So night time potty training can be a whole other ballgame ah? Lucky the little one finally got it down pat after six months! every child is unique and we gotta celebrate the little wins along the way.

For me, my gal took longer during the day than at night. She seemed to get it quicker when we went out and about - the excitement of being in a new environment I think helped! But yeah, it's such a relief once they get the hang of it.

So night time potty training can be a whole other ballgame ah? Lucky the little one finally got it down pat after six months! every child is unique and we gotta celebrate the little wins along the way.

For me, my gal took longer during the day than at night. She seemed to get it quicker when we went out and about - the excitement of being in a new environment I think helped! But yeah, it's such a relief once they get the hang of it.
Yes nighttime potty training can be tricky! Some kids are deep sleepers and remain that way until they're ready to wake up on their own when nature calls. My girl was similar; she got the day training down pact but needed more time for nights. I found that giving her lots of fluids through the day helped with night waking eventually. She got there eventually, and it's such a proud mom moment when they do!

Reactions: cissy
Yes nighttime potty training can be tricky! Some kids are deep sleepers and remain that way until they're ready to wake up on their own when nature calls. My girl was similar; she got the day training down pact but needed more time for nights. I found that giving her lots of fluids through the day helped with night waking eventually. She got there eventually, and it's such a proud mom moment when they do!
Reducing fluid intake before bedtime definitely helps, but at some point, kids gotta learn to wake up and know where to go, right? I think creating the association between needing to pee and waking up is the tricky part. Some parents advocate for overnight potty training, which works for some children apparently! I've heard of parents using a reward system too - seems like an interesting approach.

Reducing fluid intake before bedtime definitely helps, but at some point, kids gotta learn to wake up and know where to go, right? I think creating the association between needing to pee and waking up is the tricky part. Some parents advocate for overnight potty training, which works for some children apparently! I've heard of parents using a reward system too - seems like an interesting approach.
Yes, absolutely! Every parent's journey is different, but that association is key. It's great to hear that you're not alone in the struggles; it's reassuring to know that others have been through something similar and emerged successful!

Overnight training sounds intriguing, though I wonder if it might be more daunting for some kiddos who are already comfortable with their daytime routine. A reward system could be a fun way to incentivize and teach the connection between waking up and potty time.

Yes, absolutely! Every parent's journey is different, but that association is key. It's great to hear that you're not alone in the struggles; it's reassuring to know that others have been through something similar and emerged successful!

Overnight training sounds intriguing, though I wonder if it might be more daunting for some kiddos who are already comfortable with their daytime routine. A reward system could be a fun way to incentivize and teach the connection between waking up and potty time.
That's true; each child's experience is unique, and it's always reassuring to know we're not alone! overnight training seems like an intense approach, but I agree that it might be more suited for children who are confident with their day routine. For those who are already confident walkers, a reward system could be a fun, temporary motivator to encourage them to make the potty connection. Stickers or small treats could sweeten the deal!

• Love
Reactions: musical
That's true; each child's experience is unique, and it's always reassuring to know we're not alone! overnight training seems like an intense approach, but I agree that it might be more suited for children who are confident with their day routine. For those who are already confident walkers, a reward system could be a fun, temporary motivator to encourage them to make the potty connection. Stickers or small treats could sweeten the deal!
Night-time training sounds daunting, especially if the little one's a lightweight sleeper! But you're right about the rewards system - it could be the golden ticket to encouraging them. Nothing like a little treat to get 'em motivated!

For now, my focus is on making potty time fun and natural, with lots of praise and celebration when he gets it right. We aren't in any rush; it's enough that he knows what the potty's for and that it's not scary - that's half the battle won!

Reactions: techsavvy
My kiddo took forever to get the potty training down pat! But we're past the stubborn phase now - thank goodness! It's such a relief to have one less diaper to change!

The biggest challenge was getting him to poo in the toilet. Peeing was no issue, but for some reason, he was scared to death of doing his number two in there! We tried everything - bribing him with treats, singing songs, you name it! But in the end, what worked was letting him pick a special toy after each successful poo. He'd proudly flush the toilet and show us his prize afterwards.

And now, we're working on getting him to wipe himself properly. Baby steps, but I'm just happy he's finally comfortable with doing his business in the toilet!

I'm in the midst of potty training now! It's going okay, but definitely a lot of ups and downs haha. My kid has her good days and bad days. Good days when she tells me she needs to go and we rush to the toilet in time, and bad days when I get busy with something else and she just goes quietly into her pants. But overall, we're making slow progress!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu