• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Potty Talk

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Before we get started, let's make sure we're on the same page regarding potty training and what to expect during this stage of life! Potty training is a process that involves plenty of patience and can be rather trying for parents - but with the right strategies and mindset, we can navigate it together. So, what's your biggest concern or question about potty training? Let's dive into some specific topics we can tackle together!

Before we get started, let's make sure we're on the same page regarding potty training and what to expect during this stage of life! Potty training is a process that involves plenty of patience and can be rather trying for parents - but with the right strategies and mindset, we can navigate it together. So, what's your biggest concern or question about potty training? Let's dive into some specific topics we can tackle together!
As a parent, my biggest worry about potty training is making sure I'm not pressuring my kids too much or moving too fast/slow. It's a delicate balance and every child is different - what works for one might not work for the other. Got any tips on how to know if we're pushing too hard or being too laid back? Also, I'm keen to hear strategies for keeping the process fun and encouraging without turning it into a battle of wills! Not gonna lie - my kids are strong-willed so I need all the help I can get!

As a parent, my biggest worry about potty training is making sure I'm not pressuring my kids too much or moving too fast/slow. It's a delicate balance and every child is different - what works for one might not work for the other. Got any tips on how to know if we're pushing too hard or being too laid back? Also, I'm keen to hear strategies for keeping the process fun and encouraging without turning it into a battle of wills! Not gonna lie - my kids are strong-willed so I need all the help I can get!
For starters, observe your children closely - their cues and signals are crucial! Fidgeting, hiding, or an abrupt change in body language are signs that they might need to go. As for keeping it fun, try using a potty chart with stickers or a simple rewards system; but remember, the incentives should be simple things like a trip to the park or an extra story at bedtime, not candy or treats! You don't want them associating potty training with bribing. And above all, stay consistent without being pushy - it's an art!

It's a fine line - you don't want to pressure them, but giving them too much freedom might lead to slow progress. Some children are just not ready; that was the case with my daughter. She needed a lot of time and patience - and lots of reminders about using the toilet! I didn't want to stress her out further, so I used rewards - nothing big, just simple stickers. It worked like a charm as she loved receiving the stickers and the sense of achievement. It kept her motivated. My son, on the other hand, was eager to please and picked it up quickly, but forgetful. Constant encouragement and promptings helped him remember until it became a habit. Keeping things lighthearted and fun is definitely key!

Reactions: stargazer
It's a fine line - you don't want to pressure them, but giving them too much freedom might lead to slow progress. Some children are just not ready; that was the case with my daughter. She needed a lot of time and patience - and lots of reminders about using the toilet! I didn't want to stress her out further, so I used rewards - nothing big, just simple stickers. It worked like a charm as she loved receiving the stickers and the sense of achievement. It kept her motivated. My son, on the other hand, was eager to please and picked it up quickly, but forgetful. Constant encouragement and promptings helped him remember until it became a habit. Keeping things lighthearted and fun is definitely key!
That's great insight - sounds like sticker rewards worked well for your daughter! I worry about relying on rewards too much, though. Isn't there a risk the motivation might wear off or that my child will only do it for the sticker and not because they're grasping the concept? How do you avoid that trap?

Rewards are a means to an end - the goal is definitely to have them grasp the concept of potty training, and eventually, the habit forms! Sticker rewards worked really well as a visual incentive for my daughter to keep trying, but we also made a big deal about it, lots of cheers and high fives too which she loved.

We didn't make it a constant thing either - just a few days in a row, and then we slowly tapered off the stickers so it wasn't the only reason she was going potty. We still kept up the cheers and excited reactions though which she responded to, and I think that helped keep her motivated. We also made sure to get her favourite treats ready to go for when she went potty - so there'd be a little treat at the end of it too!

I think as long as you're reading your child's cues and willingness to keep trying, and not forcing them to sit on the toilet every five minutes, you'll avoid that trap. Good luck!

Rewards are a means to an end - the goal is definitely to have them grasp the concept of potty training, and eventually, the habit forms! Sticker rewards worked really well as a visual incentive for my daughter to keep trying, but we also made a big deal about it, lots of cheers and high fives too which she loved.

We didn't make it a constant thing either - just a few days in a row, and then we slowly tapered off the stickers so it wasn't the only reason she was going potty. We still kept up the cheers and excited reactions though which she responded to, and I think that helped keep her motivated. We also made sure to get her favourite treats ready to go for when she went potty - so there'd be a little treat at the end of it too!

I think as long as you're reading your child's cues and willingness to keep trying, and not forcing them to sit on the toilet every five minutes, you'll avoid that trap. Good luck!
That's great insight, especially on tailoring the approach to the child's interests and keeping it exciting. Using cheers and high-fives is a fantastic idea too!

Using treats as a reward is a tempting idea, but I'm curious to know if there's an aspect of potty training you'd consider challenging or needing extra creativity? seems like you had a smooth ride with the sticker strategy!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
I think the hardest part for us was actually getting him to tell us when he needed to go - especially when out and about or if he was too engrossed in playtime! We didn't want to have to constantly prompt him to go, as it's such a natural process and we wanted him to learn his own triggers. But that took time - accidents would happen because he just got too caught up in whatever toy or game he was playing with. We worked on creating an awareness of the feeling of a full bladder - trying to give him the vocabulary to understand and describe that sensation, but it's quite abstract for such little people! So that was our biggest challenge - signposting him towards recognising those cues himself. It's definitely an ongoing process!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That's really insightful and seems to have been a very considered approach, trying to give them the tools to identify their own bodily feelings. And yes, it's quite amazing to help them find the words for such an abstract sensation! We had a similar challenge with our little one and it definitely required a lot of patience too - it's so easy for them to get distracted and forget or not realise till it's too late! But sounds like you've got some great strategies there.

That's really insightful and seems to have been a very considered approach, trying to give them the tools to identify their own bodily feelings. And yes, it's quite amazing to help them find the words for such an abstract sensation! We had a similar challenge with our little one and it definitely required a lot of patience too - it's so easy for them to get distracted and forget or not realise till it's too late! But sounds like you've got some great strategies there.
It's a tricky stage but sound like you're handling it well! Lots of distractions hahaha. I find that using incentives also helps to keep their focus and motivate them to stay mindful of the toilet training progress. Stickers and little treats helped my toddler stay focused and she developed a sense of achievement as well.

Reactions: sunnydays
Incentives are a great idea! I'll definitely give it a go - thanks for the suggestion! I've been thinking of some type of reward system but haven't gotten around to figuring out what would work best. Stickers and treats could be perfect motivation, and giving her a sense of achievement is a great way to keep her focused on the goal.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Incentives are a great idea! I'll definitely give it a go - thanks for the suggestion! I've been thinking of some type of reward system but haven't gotten around to figuring out what would work best. Stickers and treats could be perfect motivation, and giving her a sense of achievement is a great way to keep her focused on the goal.
My pleasure! Reward systems can be so effective when done right - and fun too! I remember having a sticker chart as a kid for learning good habits. The sense of accomplishment from collecting those stickers was rewarding and encouraging. It helped that my mom was very consistent with it.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Reward systems tap into our innate desire for achievement and certainly make learning fun! Consistency is key, as your experience attests, and the sense of accomplishment is a great motivator. Well done!

Reward systems tap into our innate desire for achievement and certainly make learning fun! Consistency is key, as your experience attests, and the sense of accomplishment is a great motivator. Well done!
Thanks! I'm glad my strategy worked so well! Learning can definitely be fun when we create an exciting, structured routine with rewards! That achievement feeling is a strong motivational force we can tap on. Consistency really is the hard part, but the results are so pleasing!

Yes, my experience has shown that toilet-training success is sweet when the reward system is well thought out and consistently carried out - and that proud moment of achievement is a great feeling for my boys.

Thanks! I'm glad my strategy worked so well! Learning can definitely be fun when we create an exciting, structured routine with rewards! That achievement feeling is a strong motivational force we can tap on. Consistency really is the hard part, but the results are so pleasing!
Creating a structured routine with an element of fun and rewarding can really help with consistent potty training. It's great to see your positive experience and results!

Creating a structured routine with an element of fun and rewarding can really help with consistent potty training. It's great to see your positive experience and results!
Yup, structured routine helped me too! My girl loved the sticker chart method - such a simple yet effective reward system!

Sticker charts are an absolute win! Did lots of research and prep ahead of time to set myself up for success too - got all the supplies and really hyped it up so she understood what a big milestone it was!

That's incredible! Sounds like you did an amazing job of preparing and your enthusiasm really paid off. Getting all the supplies and making it a big event definitely helped create a buzz! Well done, it's such a great feeling when preparation meets success!

Reactions: chickadee
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words. It's such a relief and a wonderful feeling to have everything go according to plan, especially because it was my first time. I think the key was really taking the time to set everything up ahead of time and making sure I had absolutely everything I needed - including lots of incentives and rewards! Haha. It definitely paid off though, so I'm really happy!!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu