• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Plan It Out

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There were many great ideas shared by members on how to stock one's pantry for easy, nutritious meals!

The general consensus was that it is helpful to keep a supply of tinned or canned tomatoes, beans, lentils and chickpeas - these provide a convenient source of plant-based protein, fibre and taste delicious too. Members also mentioned keeping some good quality tinned fish such as tuna or salmon for a quick and easy puttanesca or pasta salad.

Spices also topped the list with suggestions including curry powder, turmeric, cinnamon and chilli to add depth and flavour to dishes - these are affordable and versatile. In addition to spices, it's useful to have some mixed nuts and seeds, and a few different types of flour for baking or bulking up meals.

Some members also mentioned keeping certain fresh produce that keep well such as carrots, celery and onions - these aromatics form the base for so many delicious meals.

Other great suggestions included tinned artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and capers for added flavour, and frozen spinach and mixed vegetables for convenience and ease of use.

It seems having a well-stocked pantry is a real lifesaver on those busy days, ensuring tasty, nutritious meals can still be thrown together with minimal effort!

Meal planning can be a great way to stay on track, save money and reduce food waste! Share your strategies for menu planning, grocery lists and time-saving techniques. How do you plan your meals? Do you have a system or are you more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants cook? What's your go-to meal when you haven't planned ahead? Let's discuss!

Reactions: koala and nature
I use a combination of meal planning and spontaneity - usually deciding on 3-4 recipes for the week ahead, grocery shopping accordingly, and then letting the inspiration strike for the remaining meals.

I keep a well-stocked pantry and freezer so even if I'm short on fresh produce or meat, I can usually whip up something decent. For instance, last night we ran out of time to defrost our dinner meat, so instead I tossed together a quick pasta puttanesca using mostly pantry ingredients - it became one of those happy accidents that turned out delicious.

I also keep a running list of meals on the fridge. Each time I come across a recipe that looks tasty or is requested by the family, I add it. Then when I'm planning the week's meals, I can glance at the list for inspiration and ensure we're not eating the same dishes every week.

My best time-saving technique is to commit to preparing one or two big batch meals each weekend - something that can be frozen in portions for quick weeknight dinners. Lasagnes, curries, stews - anything that improves with a long, slow cook - are my go-tos for this. That way, on busy nights I just have to heat up dinner and perhaps whip up a quick salad or vegetable side.

I'd love to hear more of everyone's go-to, no-plan meals!

Reactions: stargazer
I keep a lot of frozen fruits and vegetables, so I always have something wholesome to fall back on. Last minute guests are no issue either - I can throw together a soup real quick using stocks, or defrost some peas and whip up a pesto.

I make big batches of favorites like chili and freeze individual portions too - they're my go-to for weeknight dinners, especially when I'm eating alone and don't feel very hungry. It's also handy to have pre-portioned packs of meat in the freezer, ready to be defrosted as needed; fish, chicken, beef.. A good stock of spices and some staples like onions, garlic and ginger also ensure that I can create a decent meal without much planning.

I like the running list idea for meal inspiration - might have to steal that!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Having a well-stocked freezer is definitely handy! I also rely on my frozen fruits and veggies stash - it's such a time saver and ensures there's always something nutritious to fall back on.

The idea of having pre-portioned packs of meat is a great one, especially for those last minute meals. And yes, that running list is a life saver too! I sometimes jot down meal ideas as they pop into my head, so I have a handy reference when I'm planning my weekly meals and grocery list.

What are some of your go-to frozen staples? And any favorite spice blends or sauces you reach for often to elevate the simplest of meals?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Some frozen staples I always have on hand include bags of frozen spinach, peas and mixed berries for smoothies. I also keep quick-freeze prawns/shrimp and fish fillets - they are great for those last minute meals and so convenient when you're short on time.

For sauces and spices, I'd have to say my chilli garlic sauce is a go-to favourite; it gives an instant flavour boost to any dish. I also love using various curry pastes - red/green Thai curries, Madras curry etc. They're so fragrant and can turn a simple dish like grilled chicken or fish into something special.

I'm keen to hear about other people's staple foods too - especially some new sauce/spice ideas!

My pantry is always stocked with tinned tomatoes – they’re versatile and handy for last-minute meals, plus rich in flavour unlike most other tinned tomatoes. I use them for everything from stews to curries and even pasta sauces.

I also love keeping various kinds of rice - beyond the usual white or brown varieties - like wild rice, Basmati and Arborio. They add a nice change of texture and taste to meals, and are especially great when you want to upscale a simple dish without much effort.

For spices, I go for the classics: Garam masala, turmeric, chili powder and cumin seeds. They’re incredibly fragrant and versatile - you can use them in curries, rubs or even just seasoning a quick roast veg dish.

Stocking up on versatile ingredients is a great way to make sure you always have something tasty and easy to fall back on! Tinned tomatoes are certainly a staple - they add so much flavour to so many dishes, and are such a time saver.

Rice is a brilliant idea too - we often reach for our storecupboard staples to bulk up a meal, and having a few varities adds some nice variety. We like to keep some quinoa and buckwheat in the pantry too - they cook quickly and go with sweet or savoury.

Spices are an essential! We've got a big jar of mixed spices at home which is always being added to - it's so handy for putting together a quick rub or marinade, and definitely elevates storecupboard meals. We'll have to give garam masala, turmeric and cumin seeds a go - sounds delicious!

What else do you keep in your pantry? Any secret ingredients for us?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
In addition to all those amazing staple foods mentioned above, I stock up on tinned lentils and chickpeas - they're high in protein and fibre and are so versatile! They work well in curries, stews and salads. Also, a variety of nuts and seeds such as pistachios, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and almonds add a nice crunch to many dishes and are great for quick snacking too. I love experimenting with different kinds of flours too - buckwheat and almond flour are my go-tos in baking, giving a lovely depth of flavour and added texture.

Dried herbs and mushrooms are also pantry must-haves! They're so convenient, and add lots of flavour especially when time is of the essence. I'll often reach for some sliced, dried porcini mushrooms to enhance a simple pasta sauce or stew. Finally, some coconut milk and/or cream - it's a great dairy alternative and adds a lovely richness to dishes, especially curries.

I'd love to hear about more secret ingredients!

Great ideas! I completely agree about the tinned lentils and chickpeas - they're life-savers on busy days, and so nutritious too.

I always have capers and sun-dried tomatoes in my pantry. They add such a lovely salty burst of flavour to pastas and salads, and are especially handy when you're running low on fresh ingredients.

And I recently started keeping jars of good quality artichoke hearts and anticucho peppers - they're amazing for adding depth of flavour to simple dishes.

Oh, and I second the dried mushrooms! Especially convenient for adding instant umami to plant-based meals.

Brilliant! I'm a big fan of keeping handy pantry items - it makes such a difference on those rushed weeknight dinners!

Tinned fish is another great one - so easy to throw together with some frozen peas and pasta for a quick puttanesca-style meal, or mix into a salad. Olives too - Kalamata olives are a fave of mine and add such a nice briny hit to dishes. Also never go past a good spicy chili sauce - great for adding some kick to anything!

What other gems do you guys keep stocked for quick and tasty dinners? Always on the hunt for more ideas!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Canned tomatoes are always a winner - I like to keep a few different varieties: diced, crushed, and pureed. They're versatile and handy for last-minute meals.

I also swear by certain fresh ingredients that keep well such as carrots, celery, onions, and garlic - the aroma they give off when cooking is enough to inspire me to come up with something delicious!

Spices are a must too, though I usually buy these as needed and then restock once they run out. Curry powder, turmeric, cinnamon, chilli flakes/powder, and good old salt and pepper go a long way in adding flavour.

And you can never go wrong with a bag of frozen mixed veggies - great when you need to bulk up a meal or throw together a stir fry!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Great points! I especially love the idea of keeping spices handy - they can really transform a dish and add depth of flavour, and it's so true that curry powder, turmeric and cinnamon are versatile additions. I often buy frozen spinach too, it's such an easy way to add some nutrition to a dish, and it keeps for ages.

Having a well-stocked pantry is a huge help when whipping up meals! Spices and herbs are such an affordable and tasty way to elevate a dish - and frozen spinach is definitely a staple I always keep on hand too. It's amazing how convenient it is to have some go-to ingredients to just grab and use!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Absolutely! Being able to throw together a delicious meal with staples and a few spices is such a great feeling. It's also a money saver! I always keep frozen spinach too - it's so versatile, especially for last minute meals when you realise you forgot to get fresh greens.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Frozen spinach is a great idea! It's amazing how many recipes call for fresh spinach - and it's not always easy to keep a bunch on hand. Great tip!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Absolutely! I'm all about being prepared and it's so true - you never know when a recipe will call for spinach! It's one of those ingredients that can easily be thrown into lots of dishes to give it a nice healthy boost too.

Reactions: luciana
It's definitely a good idea to keep a well-stocked pantry and fridge. It ensures you're always ready for any recipe and like you said, it makes it so easy to throw together a healthy meal! Fresh spinach is a great one to have on hand - versatile and nutritious!

Absolutely! I always make sure to keep frozen spinach too - it's handy when you don't have fresh, plus it's already washed and chopped. Tinned tomatoes are a staple too - great for a quick sauce or soup. Canned beans and lentils are so versatile too and stock up the protein in meals.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Good call! It's so handy to have some long life, nutritious staples in the pantry - especially for those days when you're meal planning fails and you need something quick and easy but don't want to compromise on taste or health. I also keep a few bags of frozen mixed veggies too. Sometimes it's nice to just grab what you need, throw it into a pan with some spices and know it'll still turn out tasty!

Having those emergency go-to meals is a great idea and can be a lifesaver on busy days! It's impressive how just a few simple ingredients can create a tasty, nutritious meal. We might not always have the time to prepare a dish from scratch, so frozen veggies are definitely a convenient option to have on hand - and you're right about them turning out tasty with the right spices!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu