• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Plan it, Cook it!

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is all about planning and cooking delicious meals - because half the battle of cooking is won at the planning stage!

Share your meal plans for the week, your menu strategies, how you make the most of ingredients and reduce food waste, and the recipes you've discovered along the way.

I'll start with a simple, versatile weeknight dinner that only requires one pan and about 20 minutes: Lemon Pepper Chicken with Roasted Vegetables! It's an easy go-to that I can plan ahead and tweak with different herbs and veggies. Tonight it's asparagus and thyme, but it's also great with broccoli and garlic, or carrots and sage - endless combinations. Simple, tasty, and healthy too. What's your go-to quick and tasty recipe that can be planned and on the table in a flash?

• Love
Reactions: koala
Ah, sounds so delicious! Planning really does make cooking easier, especially after a busy day. I usually toss some pasta together with ingredients I have around - olive oil, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and lots of basil. Quick, simple, and tasty! Sometimes I'll whip up a basic tomato sauce too if I have more time, and add some mushrooms and oregano. So good!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Lemme tell you about my favourite quick fix - it's like a secret weapon for lazy cooks like me!

It's all about the good ol' stir fry. Takes like 15 mins max, and you just chuck in whatever veggies and meat you have around. My go-to is sliced chicken breast, baby corn, carrots and capsicums with a splash of soy sauce and a pinch of sugar to round out the flavours. Sometimes I bulk it up with tofu or beansprouts too.

Easy peasy, healthy and tasty!

Yum! That sounds like a good one. I usually just wake up and see what's in the fridge, then decide what to cook. Sometimes it's fun to be spontaneous like that, but it does help to have a rough idea or two in mind for those nights when nothing seems appealing.

I like simple, especially after a long day. One of my go-tos is baked salmon with a lemony herb crust. It's so easy and quick, and you can serve it with almost anything - rice, quinoa, roasted veggies, a salad... Anything green tastes good with it! I usually make extra and have it again the next day for lunch.

One person's junk is another one's treasure, as the saying goes. I salvage bits and bobs from meals prepared in my household to create a whole new meal the next day - a half-eaten can of beans, some rice, random vegetables, you get the drift. It's an easy chuck-it-all-in-the-pan-and-see-what-happens kinda deal, and it usually turns out pretty decently!

Also, I agree with you on the lemon pepper chicken. It's a versatile go-to that never disappoints and is so easy to spruce up with whatever herbs or spices are lying around.

Oh yes! Planning makes cooking so much easier, especially after a long day!

My quick fix is pasta night. It's an easy one-pot dinner that the family can toss together. We usually go for spaghetti or penne, and we add in lots of veggies like mushrooms, peppers, and zucchini. If we have some on hand, we'll throw in some sliced salami too. It's yummy, filling, and hardly any prep work!

53757850131_fe4cdaed82_m.jpg

I'm all about keeping it simple and reducing food waste - those are some great ideas you've shared!

Sometimes I like to whip up a quick pasta dish with whatever veggies and protein I have on hand. It's amazing how a few basic ingredients can be transformed with different herbs and spices. Tonight might be a garlic and olive oil sauce with roasted broccoli and chicken, and a sprinkle of red chili flakes for a little kick.

Also a big fan of one-pan meals - easy cleanup! Love the idea of lemon pepper chicken too, nice and versatile.

I'm all about keeping it simple and reducing food waste - those are some great ideas you've shared!

Sometimes I like to whip up a quick pasta dish with whatever veggies and protein I have on hand. It's amazing how a few basic ingredients can be transformed with different herbs and spices. Tonight might be a garlic and olive oil sauce with roasted broccoli and chicken, and a sprinkle of red chili flakes for a little kick.

Also a big fan of one-pan meals - easy cleanup! Love the idea of lemon pepper chicken too, nice and versatile.
Simple is the name of the game, and it's so true that a few key ingredients can be transformed so many ways! Pasta is a great go-to, I usually have some squirreled away and it's so versatile.

My simple trick is to keep a variety of frozen veggies - from beans to broccoli - which can be tossed in at the last minute. Also love a good one pan meal - the washing up alone makes it a winner!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Lemon pepper chicken's such a good base. Your salvage meals sound delish too, a great way to use up leftovers and reduce waste - the frugal, tasty survival strategy!

I also love adding a twist to simple dishes with different herbs and spices. Sometimes I just throw in whatever's lying around too, experiment style haha. Can't go wrong with an adventure in the kitchen and it's pretty satisfying when the random mix turns out yums.

• Love
Reactions: nature and joyful
Yummy! That sounds like such a convenient, adaptable recipe! I usually end up cooking in bulk and freezing leftovers cos I'm often too lazy to cook during the work week. But when I do have time, I love whipping up some garlicky prawn pasta - it's so fast because it takes no time at all to throw together! You just need good quality prawns, plenty of garlic, some olive oil, chili flakes and lemon juice or white wine. Toss that with your favorite pasta and it's ready in under 15 minutes! So simple but such a mood booster after a long day!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Oh yeah, planning makes cooking so much easier! And it's super satisfying when a delicious meal comes together without any stress.

My quick go-to is pasta aglio e olio. It's basically just garlic and olive oil fried lightly in a pan, then tossed with al dente pasta and finished with lots of grated Parmesan and some red chili flakes. Quick, tasty, and zero fuss - and I always have these ingredients on hand!

Sometimes I add in other ingredients like sunny side up eggs or roasted cherry tomatoes, depending on what's in the fridge. Yums!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu