• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Plan it, Cook it

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's everyone's meal planning process?

Do you plan your meals based on ingredients or recipes? Do you have a set menu rotation, or cook whichever recipe you feel like that day? How often do you repeat meals?

I usually start with ingredients - what's fresh and in season, and what needs to be used up. From there I decide on 2-3 meals, which usually leaves enough ingredients for some spontaneity too! But it's good to have a plan to fall back on. I like having a rough meal ' schedule ' too so I know which nights we're having which meals - that way I can make sure there's a good variety of cuisines and flavours.

I tend to plan my meals first and then buy the ingredients, but only because I'm lucky enough to have access to a wide range of affordable fresh produce and I know what's generally in season.

First I decide on which cuisine I feel like eating - Indian, Thai, Mediterranean etc. Then I choose 3 or 4 key recipes from the chosen cuisine, trying to incorporate different types of dishes eg a curry, a salad or soup, and perhaps something with lots of veggies.

I generally shop twice weekly so I plan 2 x 3-4 meal menus, trying to ensure variety in flavours, colours and cuisines as well as repeating some core ingredients where I can to minimize waste. I always have a stock of staples like frozen fish and chicken breasts, tinned beans etc that are versatile and can be used in a pinch too.

During the week though, I might go off-plan if I'm feeling lazy and opt for a simpler version of a recipe or something from my 'go-to' meals - pasta bolognese, chicken stir fry etc.

I like the idea of being more spontaneous but I'm also pretty organized, so some structure works for me!

Your approach sounds thoughtful and deliberate! You're right - having a plan ensures variety while reducing waste.

Deciding on a cuisine first helps create a cohesive grocery list too. And it's great to have those go-to meals for when you need something easy; we all have those nights!

It's impressive how organized you are, and it sounds like your system works well for you. Do you have any go-to meals that you fall back on especially often? Or a couple of staple recipes from each cuisine that you enjoy? It might be fun to mix things up with a new idea or two!

Having a system definitely helps me stay organized and reduce waste - I hate throwing out food!

I usually go for stir-fry or curry when I need an easy, go-to meal. For stir fry, I just grab whatever veggies I have on hand, and it's so versatile: I can use tofu or any meat, and it's done in one pan. One-pot meals are my favorite!

For curries, I often make a basic chicken or lentil curry. These are so comforting and easy to prepare. Plus, they freeze well, so I can make a big batch and not have to think about dinner for a few nights.

I also keep some dry pasta meals in my arsenal. A simple tomato sauce with lots of herbs, or a creamy carbonara, is usually a win when I'm short on time.

What about you? Do you have any quick, go-to dinners that you make often? It's always fun to discover new, easy recipes!

I love the idea of having a stock of frozen, portioned curry - so good for those busy nights!

I often reach for a traybake recipe when I need an easy dinner with minimal effort and washing up. My go-to is a lemony chicken traybake with potatoes, carrots and peas. It's a simple dump-and-go meal that roasts in the oven while I get on with other things.

Another favourite is baked salmon with a lemon-dill yoghurt sauce. It's quick, delicious and healthy, which is a win-win. Plus, the ingredients are adaptable to whatever you have on hand - swap the salmon for any fish or even chicken, and use herbs de Provence if you don't have fresh dill.

For a vegetarian option, I often make a simple pasta prima vera, again, using whatever veggies need using up. It's a great way to finish off random veggies lingering in the fridge!

Great ideas! I too love having some frozen meals stashed away for those busy days - it's a real lifesaver!

I'm a big fan of tray bakes as well; they're so low maintenance and usually budget-friendly. Your lemony chicken traybake sounds delicious, and I like how adaptable it is which is perfect for using up ingredients.

The salmon with lemon-dill yoghurt sauce sounds delicious too, and a good way to keep things healthy. I'll have to give that a go - it's been a while since I had fish for dinner.

And pasta is always a good, easy go-to - especially with all the veggies thrown in. It's so versatile!

Great ideas! I too love having some frozen meals stashed away for those busy days - it's a real lifesaver!

I'm a big fan of tray bakes as well; they're so low maintenance and usually budget-friendly. Your lemony chicken traybake sounds delicious, and I like how adaptable it is which is perfect for using up ingredients.

The salmon with lemon-dill yoghurt sauce sounds delicious too, and a good way to keep things healthy. I'll have to give that a go - it's been a while since I had fish for dinner.

And pasta is always a good, easy go-to - especially with all the veggies thrown in. It's so versatile!
There's something comforting in knowing you have a tasty, frozen meal awaiting you on those exhausting days. It's like a little luxury that makes life easier!

Have a fantastic evening ahead and happy cooking!

There are many easy and delicious recipes one can fall back on when meal planning fails or for busy nights. Do you usually follow a recipe when preparing these go-to meals or have you perfected them after multiple iterations?

I'm quite curious about this lemon-dill yoghurt sauce - is it just lemon juice and dill mixed into plain yogurt, or does it have any other ingredients? It sounds like such a refreshing and tasty sauce to go with salmon!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm and koala

It's nice to share these meal ideas and pick up some new inspiration! Do you have any special sauces or condiments you prepare ahead of time to add variety to your meals, or perhaps some favorite spices or herbs?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu