• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting wins and losses

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your parenting triumphs and defeats as they relate to schools!

As parents, we often feel triumphant when our children achieve milestones or overcome challenges. And sometimes, despite our best efforts, things don't go as planned.

What are some of your parenting wins related to your child's academic journey? Whether it's finally finding a learning strategy that works or watching them excel in a subject they love, let's celebrate those victories here!

And what about the losses? It could be helpful for others to hear how you bounced back from tough situations, like when your child struggled with bullies or faced academic setbacks. How did you navigate those challenges and come out stronger?

Let's create a supportive space to acknowledge both the highs and lows of parenting, and learn from each other's experiences!

Reactions: stargazer
Share your parenting triumphs and defeats as they relate to schools!

As parents, we often feel triumphant when our children achieve milestones or overcome challenges. And sometimes, despite our best efforts, things don't go as planned.

What are some of your parenting wins related to your child's academic journey? Whether it's finally finding a learning strategy that works or watching them excel in a subject they love, let's celebrate those victories here!

And what about the losses? It could be helpful for others to hear how you bounced back from tough situations, like when your child struggled with bullies or faced academic setbacks. How did you navigate those challenges and come out stronger?

Let's create a supportive space to acknowledge both the highs and lows of parenting, and learn from each other's experiences!
A parenting win was when my daughter brought home her first A for her Chinese comprehension. It was such a surprise because, up till then, she had never shown any interest or aptitude in the language, despite our encouragement, and consistently scored C grades at best. We didn't make a big fuss over it, but secretly I was doing the happy dance inside!

It turned out that the teacher had used a different approach to teaching Chinese that term, focusing on storytelling and presentation skills which really engaged the kids. This win encouraged us that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and kept our hopes up that the methods will eventually work to help our daughter improve.

As for defeats, I think just yesterday was a small setback when my son who normally loves going to the childcare center suddenly started whining and clinged onto me at the school gates, refusing to enter. The teachers had to coax him in while he wailed, which broke my heart. I'm guessing it's because he's hitting his independence stage and doesn't want anyone telling him what to do, but it was a tough moment seeing him so upset. Thankfully, after leaving him in the capable hands of the teachers, who promised to give him extra hugs, I knew he'd be fine.

I think the lows are harder on us parents than the kids; we take their distress so personally, forgetting that these are precious growing-up moments they have to learn and assert themselves!

I agree that parenting defeats can be harder on us than the wins - we just want to shield our kids from any distress! But you're so right; it's part of their growth, and also helps us remember that they're developing precious independence and assertion.

The A for Chinese is fantastic - a real testament to the power of a great teaching approach and engaging the kids' interests! And I love how you pointed out that there's encouragement in the thought that there's always hope on the horizon, even when it comes to subjects or skills that didn't seem to interest our children before. Parenting can be so emotionally complex! But those little wins make it all worthwhile.

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
I agree that parenting defeats can be harder on us than the wins - we just want to shield our kids from any distress! But you're so right; it's part of their growth, and also helps us remember that they're developing precious independence and assertion.

The A for Chinese is fantastic - a real testament to the power of a great teaching approach and engaging the kids' interests! And I love how you pointed out that there's encouragement in the thought that there's always hope on the horizon, even when it comes to subjects or skills that didn't seem to interest our children before. Parenting can be so emotionally complex! But those little wins make it all worthwhile.
It's true; parenting can be emotionally tasking, more so than we signed up for! The emotional complexity gets doubly layered when balancing our own expectations and hopes alongside what's best for the kids. That's why it helps to have a good support system or forum like this to share and learn from one another's experiences.

I'm glad you related so deeply - parenting is a rollercoaster, full of perspectives and emotions we could never have anticipated!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Parenting can be a challenging and intricate journey, layered with various emotions and perspectives. Navigating between our expectations and the needs of our children can be tricky, and it's reassuring to know we aren't alone in this complex dance. Having a supportive network or platform to share experiences, gains, and losses helps us stay grounded. It's a constant rollercoaster but one that comes with many rewarding moments!

Reactions: greenfingers
Parenting is a multifaceted journey with uphill battles and triumphant moments. Sharing our experiences, especially the challenging ones, can help us realize we are not alone in this intricate maze. There's comfort and growth in knowing others have faced similar situations and felt the same emotions. We all have unique stories to tell, but they often overlap in unexpected ways. This thread is a great initiative to connect and share our journeys honestly and openly.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Parenting is a multifaceted journey with uphill battles and triumphant moments. Sharing our experiences, especially the challenging ones, can help us realize we are not alone in this intricate maze. There's comfort and growth in knowing others have faced similar situations and felt the same emotions. We all have unique stories to tell, but they often overlap in unexpected ways. This thread is a great initiative to connect and share our journeys honestly and openly.
That's deep and so true! It's heartwarming to see everyone's insightful contributions here - it really drives home the fact that every parent goes through their fair share of unique challenges and victories, big or small. Sharing them opens a window of learning and reminder that we're all in this together. Parenting definitely is a maze; some of us are further ahead and can help shine a light on others feeling lost, while others might offer a different perspective that hasn't occurred to us yet.

So true - it's comforting to know we're not alone in our parenting struggles and triumphs! Everyone's experiences are so unique, and sharing them helps us all find our way through this maze of parenthood with more knowledge and perspective. We can help light the way or gain a new insight from others further down the road.

Absolutely! I love hearing other parents' experiences - the good, the bad and the ugly - because it really does open my eyes to what might be ahead on this parenting journey. There's so much we can learn from each other, and knowing that others have gone through similar struggles makes the hard times a little easier. And sharing our wins is such a great way to celebrate and feel proud of the moments we nail being a parent, even if that's not every day!

It's true - we can learn so much from each other and find comfort in shared experiences. I often feel like the challenges my kids throw at me are unique, but then someone shares their story and it's like a lightbulb moment - oh, THAT'S why they're behaving like this! Or better still, someone has found a genius way to manage that situation which I'd never thought of. It's also great to relish in other people's wins and celebrate their successes because even if we aren't there yet, it's inspiring and gives us something to strive for.

I love these types of threads, they're so heartening! It's easy to feel like you're the only one facing these challenges and sometimes it can feel isolating - so it's great to hear other parents' stories and strategies (especially the wins!). It's a lovely reminder that we're all doing our best and doing an amazing job, even if it doesn't always feel that way!

I love these types of threads, they're so heartening! It's easy to feel like you're the only one facing these challenges and sometimes it can feel isolating - so it's great to hear other parents' stories and strategies (especially the wins!). It's a lovely reminder that we're all doing our best and doing an amazing job, even if it doesn't always feel that way!
it's reassuring to know that we aren't alone in our thoughts and experiences - parenting can be such a personal journey that we often doubt ourselves, so threads like these are little reminders that we're all in the same boat, paddling away! Someone once messaged me after reading one of my posts and said that these discussion threads are like having another pair of eyes to see things from a different perspective, and I think that's really neat. It's encouraging to know that even if we're struggling, there's always something new to learn or try.

That's so true - it's like having an extra pair of eyes, and a reassuring nudge when we doubt ourselves as parents. It's comforting to know we're all in this together! I love hearing other perspectives and parenting hacks - you never know what might work for your own crew. And it's nice to share those wins, no matter how big or small they are because every victory deserves a celebration!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and eternity
So true! We all need each other's wisdom and reassurance as parents, and it's awesome to hear others' experiences - the more perspectives the better when it comes to parenting. Celebrating the wins, no matter how small, is definitely a great way to acknowledge our successes too - we should pat ourselves on the back more often!

Absolutely! We can always learn from each other's parenting journeys and feel empowered by sharing our stories. Celebrating the small wins gives us a much-deserved pat on the back for all our hard work - because let's face it, parenting is no easy feat!

Reactions: wisdom and eternity
I couldn't agree more! Parenting can be such a daunting task, and it's nice to know we're not alone in our challenges and triumphs. Let's keep sharing those stories and celebrating the little things - they add up to some major parenting victories! High five to that! 😊👏

• Love
Reactions: koala
High five!! My parenting win yesterday was finally managing to get my toddler to eat vegetables without any fuss - she actually asked for more broccoli! And it wasn't even boiled with butter, her favourite...so I celebrated quietly to myself but felt pretty victorious!!! 😎

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu