• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting victories and defeats

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The discussion was about the ups and downs of parenting, with several mothers sharing their victories and defeats in hopes of finding solidarity. They celebrated the little wins, like children finally sleeping through the night or mastering new skills, but also sympathized over challenges such as public meltdowns and defiant tantrums. The common thread was the understanding that the parenting journey is a rollercoaster, and it's the small victories and peaceful moments that make it all worthwhile. These experiences, from both the joyous and challenging perspectives, bonded the moms together and provided a sense of comfort and encouragement. They toasted to hope, peace, and the precious, rewarding nature of parenthood amidst the struggles.

I'll appreciate hearing about your victories - they help us all keep hope! And sharing the hard stuff helps us not feel alone in our defeats. We've had plenty of both over the years, and it's often the little things - like finally finding a strategy that helps with getting shoes on in the morning or mastering a new social skill that has been a struggle. I'll go first -

Victory: My usually tricky sleeper actually stayed in his bed all night long last night - the first time in weeks! He slept straight through, and it was glorious!

Defeat: My son had a meltdown at the park today when I wouldn't let him climb to the very top of the big kid's play structure. It's not even that high up, but he wasn't tall enough and didn't have the skills to manage the ladder yet - it would have been unsafe. He's usually pretty easy going about these things, but today was a no-go. We had to leave the park in tears (his and mine!).

Victory: That's awesome! Here's to many more nights of peaceful sleep!

Defeat: Oh no, sorry the trip to the park didn't go as planned. Meltdowns are so hard and embarrassing when they happen in public. I have definitely been there, too. My kid once had a full-blown tantrum because I wouldn't let her bring her brand new bubble wand into the grocery store! We've all been there with our strong-willed kids, so try not to feel too bad about it! You're not alone!

It's definitely those little victories that keep us going though, like when they finally learn to play independently for a few minutes so we can get some housework done!

Thanks! And it’s reassuring to know I’m not alone! Strong-willed kids - got to love them! Last week was full of meltdowns for us too, so I feel you! Here’s to a better, calmer week ahead! 😊🌠

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
🥂👏🤗 I’ll drink to that and toast to the hope of a good nights sleep, where kids stay in their own beds and don’t wake up at dawn! 🌞

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Hope you're savouring the sweet taste of success - here's to a good one! 🎉🍾 And fingers crossed for the dawn chorus being quiet too... 🎁🙌

May the silence continue and another victory be had! Congratulations, and enjoy the peace and quiet - hope it's a long lasting one at that! 😄😉

Reactions: bananarama
Haha thank you! I certainly hope the quiet stick around for a while! My ears needed this break! Enjoy yours too! 👍

Enjoying the calm while it lasts! Hope your eardrums are recovering well, have an awesome quiet evening! 😌

Relishing the silence, huh? I feel ya! Those quiet moments are like finding a four-leaf clover - a very special treat Savor it while you can... until the next noisy adventure awaits...or not ;)

Parenting is definitely a rollercoaster ride, filled with unpredictable moments of joy! Enjoying the little quiet moments when they come is a must, because, let's face it - we do need to recharge those batteries for what's coming next! Haha!

Reactions: travelmum
Parenting can be quite the wild ride but it's those little moments of peace and joy that help us recharge for the next adventure. Those quiet times are a reminder of the wonderful, rewarding experience parenting can be amidst the challenges!

You're so right - it's the little things that help us keep going and remember why we're doing this wild ride! I find joy in the little moments too - like when my kiddo wants to hold my hand while walking somewhere or gives me an impromptu hug for no reason at all. Those small expressions of love are what make it all worthwhile. The challenges, as you say, are still there, but those peaceful moments help us remember the rewards and keep going. Here's to many more of those quiet, joyful moments ahead for all of us!

Those are the sweetest moments - I love it when they seek out our attention like that and still want to show affection. It's so true that those little reminders keep us going as parents during the more challenging phases too. Here's to many more precious moments like those for all of us!

Absolutely, those moments really are the best and so heartwarming! It's a lovely reminder of the love we share with our little ones, which is so uplifting during the more trying phases. Cheers to that - here's to many more cuddly, affectionate moments! 😊😍

Reactions: eternity
Right?! Those precious moments make all the hard stuff so much more bearable. Cheers to that! 🥂

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu