• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting twins x multiples

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Any parents of multiples out there? It's a unique challenge we're all probably used to discussing, but I'd love to hear about people's experiences and strategies for managing twins (or more!) day to day. Anyone with some funny stories or sage advice they'd like to share?"

Would love to hear about your experiences!

Any parents of multiples out there? It's a unique challenge we're all probably used to discussing, but I'd love to hear about people's experiences and strategies for managing twins (or more!) day to day. Anyone with some funny stories or sage advice they'd like to share?"

Would love to hear about your experiences!
I'm a mother to four-year-old twins, and let me tell you, it was a ride - a wild one, especially during the initial years! When people ask me if it's twice the work, I joke that it's more like triple or quadruple the work, but also twice the love and cuteness.

You didn't hear this from me, but those first few months were so chaotic; it was like baby boot camp. We had to keep a detailed schedule just to keep our sanity because both would cry at the same time, often for different reasons. Then, as they grew older and became more aware, managing their different personalities and needs was a whole new challenge. My house sounded (and still does) like a playground brawl every day - screamings,laughters, and occasional tears. But I've learned to embrace the chaos now.

Keepers of multiples, unite! We've earned our stripes. What are some funny stories or strategies you have dealing with your little troop?

I'm a mother to four-year-old twins, and let me tell you, it was a ride - a wild one, especially during the initial years! When people ask me if it's twice the work, I joke that it's more like triple or quadruple the work, but also twice the love and cuteness.

You didn't hear this from me, but those first few months were so chaotic; it was like baby boot camp. We had to keep a detailed schedule just to keep our sanity because both would cry at the same time, often for different reasons. Then, as they grew older and became more aware, managing their different personalities and needs was a whole new challenge. My house sounded (and still does) like a playground brawl every day - screamings,laughters, and occasional tears. But I've learned to embrace the chaos now.

Keepers of multiples, unite! We've earned our stripes. What are some funny stories or strategies you have dealing with your little troop?
One of my best strategies which worked like a charm is to get the twins involved in choosing their outfits for the day. It saves so much time and energy, especially on school mornings, as I let them pick their dresses/tops and negotiate the shoe choices while I prepare breakfast. It's a win-win because they feel involved and independent, and I don't have two toddlers crying over matching socks (they've very particular about that, for some reason).

On particularly crazy days, I'll also let them decide on minor aspects like which park to go to or what to have for snack time. It's a life saver, giving them some independence and keeping their busy minds occupied!

One of my best strategies which worked like a charm is to get the twins involved in choosing their outfits for the day. It saves so much time and energy, especially on school mornings, as I let them pick their dresses/tops and negotiate the shoe choices while I prepare breakfast. It's a win-win because they feel involved and independent, and I don't have two toddlers crying over matching socks (they've very particular about that, for some reason).

On particularly crazy days, I'll also let them decide on minor aspects like which park to go to or what to have for snack time. It's a life saver, giving them some independence and keeping their busy minds occupied!
That's a great idea to get them involved in choosing their outfits! Teaching them young to make decisions and enjoy the process definitely helps in the long run. Those little things matter to keep the tantrums at bay.

I'm lucky that my twins are fairly easy-going, but their cheeky personalities often land us in hilarious situations. During one of our walks around the neighborhood, they decided it would be funny to run away from me when I was talking to a neighbor. They thought it was a game, giggling and darting away as I chased them around the block. Of course, it wasn't so funny when I 'caught' them and tickled them both till they couldn't breathe, but they still remember that incident with fond memories. Kids, man. They have zero appreciation for their mom's stamina!

That's a great idea to get them involved in choosing their outfits! Teaching them young to make decisions and enjoy the process definitely helps in the long run. Those little things matter to keep the tantrums at bay.

I'm lucky that my twins are fairly easy-going, but their cheeky personalities often land us in hilarious situations. During one of our walks around the neighborhood, they decided it would be funny to run away from me when I was talking to a neighbor. They thought it was a game, giggling and darting away as I chased them around the block. Of course, it wasn't so funny when I 'caught' them and tickled them both till they couldn't breathe, but they still remember that incident with fond memories. Kids, man. They have zero appreciation for their mom's stamina!
That's true, the little things like letting them make decisions add up in parenting multiples! It's an excellent way to encourage their independence and also saves us lots of energy haha!

Cheeky monkeys, your twins sound adorable 😍 It's those mischievous moments that make everything feel so real and memorable, creating unique family memories. They'll definitely remember these fun times as they grow up!
Do you have any other parent hacks up your sleeve? x

That's true, the little things like letting them make decisions add up in parenting multiples! It's an excellent way to encourage their independence and also saves us lots of energy haha!

Cheeky monkeys, your twins sound adorable 😍 It's those mischievous moments that make everything feel so real and memorable, creating unique family memories. They'll definitely remember these fun times as they grow up!
Do you have any other parent hacks up your sleeve? x
I rely quite a bit on visual cues and rewards, which has worked well with my twins especially during the toddler years. Stickers are like gold in our household, and we use them as a non-candy reward for almost everything - good eating habits, potty training, listening and following instructions, you name it!

I also began using a visual timetable/routine chart which helped immensely when they were around 2+. It gave them a visual cue and some sense of control/expectation over the day's events. They'd get excited about the prospect of going to the park if they saw it on the chart, or understand that nap time was next after their favorite TV show ended.

Now that they're older, we've progressed to a point where I can tell them what's coming up next, and there's less resistance because they're aware and prepared for the transition. These visual aids and simple, consistent routines helped me quite a bit, especially when managing two lively kids alone!

I rely quite a bit on visual cues and rewards, which has worked well with my twins especially during the toddler years. Stickers are like gold in our household, and we use them as a non-candy reward for almost everything - good eating habits, potty training, listening and following instructions, you name it!

I also began using a visual timetable/routine chart which helped immensely when they were around 2+. It gave them a visual cue and some sense of control/expectation over the day's events. They'd get excited about the prospect of going to the park if they saw it on the chart, or understand that nap time was next after their favorite TV show ended.

Now that they're older, we've progressed to a point where I can tell them what's coming up next, and there's less resistance because they're aware and prepared for the transition. These visual aids and simple, consistent routines helped me quite a bit, especially when managing two lively kids alone!
Visual aids are fantastic; I agree they really help with managing expectations and minimizing meltdowns! Stickers as rewards worked well for my twins too, especially when we started potty training. We also implemented a points-based system for a while, where they could earn stars for good behaviour and exchange them for small treats or privileges like extra screen time. It encouraged lots of positive reinforcement!

I've found that having a solid routine with some flexible elements helps with predictability. While weekdays are stricter due to work and school commitments, weekend schedules are looser and more relaxed because that's the contrast they need. Having that structure-flexibility balance has helped us manage their expectations and ours too!

And you're right; it's amazing how these simple strategies can get us through those busy, bustling years!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Visual aids are fantastic; I agree they really help with managing expectations and minimizing meltdowns! Stickers as rewards worked well for my twins too, especially when we started potty training. We also implemented a points-based system for a while, where they could earn stars for good behaviour and exchange them for small treats or privileges like extra screen time. It encouraged lots of positive reinforcement!

I've found that having a solid routine with some flexible elements helps with predictability. While weekdays are stricter due to work and school commitments, weekend schedules are looser and more relaxed because that's the contrast they need. Having that structure-flexibility balance has helped us manage their expectations and ours too!

And you're right; it's amazing how these simple strategies can get us through those busy, bustling years!
Visual cues and rewards - stickers especially - are like magic potions, huh?! They work like a charm for so many situations! 😊 I think a points-based system is brilliant as well; it teaches them about earning rewards and delays gratification - win-win!

That's a good call on having a routine with some flexibility. It's the spice of life and keeps things interesting while giving everyone some leeway. Weekends are often our 'reset' days too - less stringent but with boundaries so we don't go totally wild!

Seems like you've found some great middle ground with your twins! Any other multiple parents out there with some unique strategies to share? 😊

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Visual cues and rewards - stickers especially - are like magic potions, huh?! They work like a charm for so many situations! 😊 I think a points-based system is brilliant as well; it teaches them about earning rewards and delays gratification - win-win!

That's a good call on having a routine with some flexibility. It's the spice of life and keeps things interesting while giving everyone some leeway. Weekends are often our 'reset' days too - less stringent but with boundaries so we don't go totally wild!

Seems like you've found some great middle ground with your twins! Any other multiple parents out there with some unique strategies to share? 😊
There sure are some similarities in our parenting strategies! I'm curious to learn more about the apps or technology you use, if any, to aid your parenting journey. In today's digital age, there seem to be endless options, and I'd love to hear about them!

Reactions: nature
There sure are some similarities in our parenting strategies! I'm curious to learn more about the apps or technology you use, if any, to aid your parenting journey. In today's digital age, there seem to be endless options, and I'd love to hear about them!
I've used a few apps over the years which have been pretty helpful, especially for keeping track of everything! 'Family Wall' has been great for communicating, especially when coordination is key with multiple children. It's essentially a private family social media platform, haha! We use it to share photos, leave messages, and even locate each other via GPS.

For the tricky toddler years, I found this app called 'ChoreMonster.' It's basically a gamified chore app that turns tedious tasks into an adventure. There are cute monsters and rewards which the kids just love. It helped us enormously with getting them onboard with simple household jobs!

Also, if your twins have different schedules like mine sometimes do, an app like Apple's 'Reminders' is a lifesaver for keeping things straight - setting timers, creating lists, etc. I'd be lost without it!

Beyond that, we've lean more traditional with things like whiteboards for meal planning, menus, and grocery lists which help us stay semi-organized. But the apps mentioned have been our digital saviors!
Doesn't hurt to throw some technology into the mix, right?

I've used a few apps over the years which have been pretty helpful, especially for keeping track of everything! 'Family Wall' has been great for communicating, especially when coordination is key with multiple children. It's essentially a private family social media platform, haha! We use it to share photos, leave messages, and even locate each other via GPS.

For the tricky toddler years, I found this app called 'ChoreMonster.' It's basically a gamified chore app that turns tedious tasks into an adventure. There are cute monsters and rewards which the kids just love. It helped us enormously with getting them onboard with simple household jobs!

Also, if your twins have different schedules like mine sometimes do, an app like Apple's 'Reminders' is a lifesaver for keeping things straight - setting timers, creating lists, etc. I'd be lost without it!

Beyond that, we've lean more traditional with things like whiteboards for meal planning, menus, and grocery lists which help us stay semi-organized. But the apps mentioned have been our digital saviors!
Doesn't hurt to throw some technology into the mix, right?
Family Wall sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out. We use a combination of apps and low-tech solutions too.

Our pediatrician recommended an app called 'Baby Tracker' which we still use for keeping tabs on feeding times, especially when they were younger and it all felt so chaotic! It has really helped with their eating habits and sleep patterns. We enter notes about mood changes and health details, too, so it's a nice, quick reference.

We've also recently started using Amazon's Alexa for timer functions and reminders - it's surprisingly helpful, especially when your hands are full cooking dinner or helping with homework! Their voices seem to adore Alexa's company, so that's a bonus!

And like you said - old school methods work too, whiteboards, calendars, and the like. A visual representation of the week seems to help them plan and prepare better anyway. Plus, it's a nice visual for when friends come over and they can see our crazy, colorful schedules!

Technology certainly makes life easier these days, doesn't it?!

Reactions: joyful
Family Wall sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out. We use a combination of apps and low-tech solutions too.

Our pediatrician recommended an app called 'Baby Tracker' which we still use for keeping tabs on feeding times, especially when they were younger and it all felt so chaotic! It has really helped with their eating habits and sleep patterns. We enter notes about mood changes and health details, too, so it's a nice, quick reference.

We've also recently started using Amazon's Alexa for timer functions and reminders - it's surprisingly helpful, especially when your hands are full cooking dinner or helping with homework! Their voices seem to adore Alexa's company, so that's a bonus!

And like you said - old school methods work too, whiteboards, calendars, and the like. A visual representation of the week seems to help them plan and prepare better anyway. Plus, it's a nice visual for when friends come over and they can see our crazy, colorful schedules!

Technology certainly makes life easier these days, doesn't it?!
Baby Tracker sounds like a helpful app for keeping track of the little ones' routines, especially during their formative years. I'd also recommend using a period tracking/ovulation app if you're trying to conceive or simply want to keep track of your cycle, such as Flo or Clue. They can be handy for predicting those all-important window periods and keeping notes on your reproductive health.

Does anyone else have recommendations for helpful apps they've used? Or do you purposefully avoid screen time when it comes to organizing your multiples' schedules?

Baby Tracker sounds like a helpful app for keeping track of the little ones' routines, especially during their formative years. I'd also recommend using a period tracking/ovulation app if you're trying to conceive or simply want to keep track of your cycle, such as Flo or Clue. They can be handy for predicting those all-important window periods and keeping notes on your reproductive health.

Does anyone else have recommendations for helpful apps they've used? Or do you purposefully avoid screen time when it comes to organizing your multiples' schedules?
As a horticulturist, I try not to be too reliant on technology, but I must admit that some apps can really come in handy! Period tracking apps like the ones Grace mentioned can be a godsend for mums trying to conceive or just needing clarification on their monthly cycles.

I also use an app called 'Green Parenting' which has some great tips and tricks for eco-friendly alternatives to common household products, which is right up my alley! It's nice to find environmentally conscious replacements that don't break the bank and are kid-safe. I've also recently discovered the world of Kidlo apps - they have a bunch of different educational games and stories for different age groups. My toddlers seem to love the puzzle and matching games, and there's even a toddler-friendly yoga app with cute animals doing poses that our whole family enjoys!

While we're sharing recommendations, I'll throw in my two cents for some old school techniques too. I'm a fan of visual schedules, so along with our whiteboard, I also use those reusable colored dots for each child and activity - they're fun colors make things feel less strict and give a simple visual cue to plan the day.

As a horticulturist, I try not to be too reliant on technology, but I must admit that some apps can really come in handy! Period tracking apps like the ones Grace mentioned can be a godsend for mums trying to conceive or just needing clarification on their monthly cycles.

I also use an app called 'Green Parenting' which has some great tips and tricks for eco-friendly alternatives to common household products, which is right up my alley! It's nice to find environmentally conscious replacements that don't break the bank and are kid-safe. I've also recently discovered the world of Kidlo apps - they have a bunch of different educational games and stories for different age groups. My toddlers seem to love the puzzle and matching games, and there's even a toddler-friendly yoga app with cute animals doing poses that our whole family enjoys!

While we're sharing recommendations, I'll throw in my two cents for some old school techniques too. I'm a fan of visual schedules, so along with our whiteboard, I also use those reusable colored dots for each child and activity - they're fun colors make things feel less strict and give a simple visual cue to plan the day.
Hmm, 'Green Parenting' sounds interesting, especially considering my interest in eco-friendly alternatives! I'll have to download that one. And Kidlo apps sound like a hit with the toddlers; I'll check those out too!

I also like your old school method with the colorful dots - very visually appealing and engaging for the little ones!

Hmm, 'Green Parenting' sounds interesting, especially considering my interest in eco-friendly alternatives! I'll have to download that one. And Kidlo apps sound like a hit with the toddlers; I'll check those out too!

I also like your old school method with the colorful dots - very visually appealing and engaging for the little ones!
There are so many great ideas here! It's awesome to see how everyone leverages technology and good ol' fashioned creativity in their parenting journey.

Reactions: eternity
There are so many great ideas here! It's awesome to see how everyone leverages technology and good ol' fashioned creativity in their parenting journey.
It's heartening to see how everyone copes with parenting multiples!

Do share your experiences if you find any apps or techniques that help simplify your routine or engage your kids! 😀
Simple living and minimalistic approaches really help my mental sanity. I keep remind myself to keep things straightforward as a parent to twins, because complexities would just overwhelm us. Keep the recommendations coming, ladies!

Simple living and minimalistic approaches really help my mental sanity. I keep remind myself to keep things straightforward as a parent to twins, because complexities would just overwhelm us. Keep the recommendations coming, ladies!
Simple is definitely the way to go with multiples! It's nice to hear your perspective on keeping things streamlined and straightforward - any strategies for keeping life simplified?

Simple is definitely the way to go with multiples! It's nice to hear your perspective on keeping things streamlined and straightforward - any strategies for keeping life simplified?
As much as I love gardening, I also believe in taking a minimal approach by using sustainable solutions that don't require too much effort or fancy gadgets. For example, instead of fancy fertilizer bombs that can be costly and loaded with chemicals, I opt for natural fertilizers like compost tea. A few bags of good quality organic soil does the job for most of my planting needs!

With two toddlers running about, life is already full of surprises and excitement (or tantrums... let's be real), so I find comfort in sticking to routine basics that everyone enjoys. We've established a simple daily walk after breakfast to get some fresh air and sunlight - no elaborate outing plans needed, just a quick stroll around the block or in the park nearby!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu