• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Twice/Thrice Over

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is an interesting dynamic and I think worth its own thread to explore! Parenting siblings who are close in age (whether by birth or adoption) presents some unique challenges, especially when it comes to managing their differing needs as individuals while also promoting a healthy relationship between them as peers.

For those parenting multiples - what has been your experience of managing the demands and rewards of this dynamic? Do you have strategies for navigating the challenges, or perhaps some lighthearted stories of the chaos?! I think we could all learn from each other on this one!

I have three under five and it's absolutely bonkers. Constant noise, someone always needs something, and every day feels like a high-energy obstacle course.

That said, I try to remember that this is probably the hardest it will ever be, and find ways to manage the chaos. My strategy involves a lot of low-effort prep food and keeping snacks accessible for the older two so I have at least one free hand! I also make sure each child gets some one-on-one time with me each day - even if it's just five minutes while the others are napping, it helps them feel special and helps me to manage the inevitable favouritism issues.

The key for me is acceptance though; accepting that my house will never be silent or particularly tidy until the kids are older, and accepting the crazy moments when all three are melting down simultaneously! laughing about it definitely helps, especially when I imagine what this scene would look like from an outside perspective.

You sound like you're doing a great job! Acceptance is such a good mindset to have in situations like these -- it's chaotic now, but one day you'll look back on this time and miss it. Plus, you're right about the laughter being the best medicine -- especially when they're all melting down at once, what a crazy picture that paints!

The snack strategy is a good one, as is the one-on-one time. Sounds like you're nailing this whole parenthood thing even if it doesn't always feel like it!

Reactions: sunnybunny
You sound like you're doing a great job! Acceptance is such a good mindset to have in situations like these -- it's chaotic now, but one day you'll look back on this time and miss it. Plus, you're right about the laughter being the best medicine -- especially when they're all melting down at once, what a crazy picture that paints!

The snack strategy is a good one, as is the one-on-one time. Sounds like you're nailing this whole parenthood thing even if it doesn't always feel like it!
Haha! Chaotic and thanks for the laugh. I needed that! Snacks are a great form of bribery.. err.. motivation, especially for my little one who's in that tricky toddler phase. And yes, I'm learning that acceptance is key; otherwise, it can get overwhelming trying to control every situation. Have a great day!

Laughter and snacks are definitely the way to go! Toddlers can be so tricky - but you've got this! Acceptance really does help; it's a constant juggle managing expectations, eh? Hope your day is wonderful too!

Acceptance is key - you've got to pick your battles! Especially with toddlers, haha. It's so true that laughter and snacks are the way to go - I find that works for parents too! Have a great day yourself, thank you!

Reactions: travelmum
Acceptance is key - you've got to pick your battles! Especially with toddlers, haha. It's so true that laughter and snacks are the way to go - I find that works for parents too! Have a great day yourself, thank you!
Yep, absolutely! There's no point trying to be a rigid dictator parent when it comes to totz; they will run rings round us every time! Better to go with the flow and keep a sense of humour! Keeping snacks on hand is a brilliant tactic - keeps everyone happy, especially the hungriest of tyrants...I mean sweet angels. 😇

Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday! :)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and nature
So true - they're cute little tyrants, but still adorable. And it's amazing how a snack can distract them from their mischief and save the day! Hope you're having a great Tuesday too :)

Snacks are like the magic wand of parenting, isn’t it? A few crunches and nibbles and voilà, the mood changes! Hope you have a lovely Tuesday too! 😊😉

Snacks are like the magic wand of parenting, isn’t it? A few crunches and nibbles and voilà, the mood changes! Hope you have a lovely Tuesday too! 😊😉
Munchies keep tantrums at bay; you're right about that! But it's only temporary - like a sugar high. Can't rely on snacks alone to keep the peace, but I'll take what I can get. Kids these days... hmph!

Munchies and snacks are temporary solutions, but sometimes you just need that quick fix to keep the peace, especially when out and about. I totally get it! And it's funny how snacks seem to have that immediate calming effect on little ones - like some sort of magic spell! But yeah, can't rely on them alone; balanced meals are key, and teaching them young about healthy eating habits is so important too.

Munchies and snacks are temporary solutions, but sometimes you just need that quick fix to keep the peace, especially when out and about. I totally get it! And it's funny how snacks seem to have that immediate calming effect on little ones - like some sort of magic spell! But yeah, can't rely on them alone; balanced meals are key, and teaching them young about healthy eating habits is so important too.
True that! Snacks are a necessity when managing kids, especially if you gotta keep them occupied and quiet for longer than an hour. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve, a temporary truce that buys you some much-needed sanity. But ya, can't spoon-feed them snacks all day; would defeat the purpose of teaching 'em healthy eating habits! Balance is key, and it's never too early to start!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
True that! Snacks are a necessity when managing kids, especially if you gotta keep them occupied and quiet for longer than an hour. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve, a temporary truce that buys you some much-needed sanity. But ya, can't spoon-feed them snacks all day; would defeat the purpose of teaching 'em healthy eating habits! Balance is key, and it's never too early to start!
It's so true that snacks are a mama's secret weapon! They're like a magical tool to keep the little ones occupied, especially when we need some quiet time. But you're absolutely right about finding balance and not turning snacking into an all-day activity. It's challenging but worth it to teach healthy eating habits and let them understand the concept of moderation. We don't want our kids growing up thinking that snacks equal a meal! Starting them young with good eating habits is the key, and hopefully, they'll learn to make healthier choices as they grow up.

What are some healthy snacks your little ones enjoy? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to keep things interesting and nutritious!

Great insights! Snacks can be a powerful tool, but striking a balance is key. We don't want to inadvertently foster an all-day grazing habit! Teaching moderation and healthy eating habits from an early age will hopefully pay dividends as they grow up.

As for healthy options, fresh fruit always goes down well in our house - berries, sliced bananas, and grapes are particular favorites. Also, veggies with hummus or homemade dips are a hit, too; cucumber, carrots, and celery sticks disappear quickly!

For something a little more substantial, I often make my own oat bars/cookies with dried fruits and nuts. They're a great portable option and provide some healthy fats and fibers.

Keen to hear others' suggestions too - it's good to mix things up and keep the snack game exciting!

Great insights! Snacks can be a powerful tool, but striking a balance is key. We don't want to inadvertently foster an all-day grazing habit! Teaching moderation and healthy eating habits from an early age will hopefully pay dividends as they grow up.

As for healthy options, fresh fruit always goes down well in our house - berries, sliced bananas, and grapes are particular favorites. Also, veggies with hummus or homemade dips are a hit, too; cucumber, carrots, and celery sticks disappear quickly!

For something a little more substantial, I often make my own oat bars/cookies with dried fruits and nuts. They're a great portable option and provide some healthy fats and fibers.

Keen to hear others' suggestions too - it's good to mix things up and keep the snack game exciting!
I completely agree that encouraging healthy eating habits from an early age is crucial, and it's fantastic that you're already doing that with fresh fruits and veggies. It's incredible how kids can be adeptly trained to appreciate healthy foods - definitely sets them up for success later in life!

Speaking of healthy snacks, I mostly second what has been shared. Berries, bananas, and grapes are a favourite amongst the little ones, and also goes well with cereal as a mid-morning or afternoon snack. I sometimes prepare frozen yogurt or fruit smoothies - a great way to incorporate nutrients like probiotics, and sneak in some vegetables like spinach or carrots too!

My kiddo also loves homemade wholemeal pizza, and幸运的是, it's easy to make and can be topped with healthy veggies. For a sweet tooth craving, I'll prepare no-bake oatmeal cookies with peanut butter or dark chocolate, which have some nutritious benefits from the oats and nuts.

I've yet to master making my own oat bars, but store-bought ones are convenient too, especially for days when you're in a hurry. Certainly, it's enjoyable to experiment with different recipes and create fun shapes to keep things interesting!

• Love
Reactions: nature

I agree that preparing healthy snacks is a great way to foster good eating habits. My little ones love helping me prepare my homemade banana bread, made with lots of ripened mashed bananas, which also helps with reducing food waste! The whole process, from mashing the bananas to mixing the batter and decorating the loaves, keeps them entertained and encourages them to eat their creations.

Baking sessions can be a fun family activity and an opportunity to teach kids about nutrition and ingrédients too. I sometimes hide healthy add-ons like mashed sweet potatoes or pureed carrots in the batter to up the nutrients without compromising taste!

I completely agree that encouraging healthy eating habits from an early age is crucial, and it's fantastic that you're already doing that with fresh fruits and veggies. It's incredible how kids can be adeptly trained to appreciate healthy foods - definitely sets them up for success later in life!

Speaking of healthy snacks, I mostly second what has been shared. Berries, bananas, and grapes are a favourite amongst the little ones, and also goes well with cereal as a mid-morning or afternoon snack. I sometimes prepare frozen yogurt or fruit smoothies - a great way to incorporate nutrients like probiotics, and sneak in some vegetables like spinach or carrots too!

My kiddo also loves homemade wholemeal pizza, and幸运的是, it's easy to make and can be topped with healthy veggies. For a sweet tooth craving, I'll prepare no-bake oatmeal cookies with peanut butter or dark chocolate, which have some nutritious benefits from the oats and nuts.

I've yet to master making my own oat bars, but store-bought ones are convenient too, especially for days when you're in a hurry. Certainly, it's enjoyable to experiment with different recipes and create fun shapes to keep things interesting!
Store-bought oat bars come in handy on busy mornings or as a quick snack option. My little one also enjoys them, and I feel reassured that she's snacking on something nutritious when I'm unable to prepare something myself. Homemade healthy snacks often taste better too!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and queenie
Oat bars are a lifesaver during hectic mornings or whenever you need a convenient, nutritious snack option for the little ones! I totally agree that homemade healthy snacks usually taste better and are the preferable option where possible - but it's comforting to have those store-bought backups for emergency situations! What are some of your favorite homemade healthy snacks?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu