• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Tips and Tricks

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
In a bid to share parenting tips and tricks, several parents shared their experiences and hacks online. Greenfingers swore by the visual reward system and the boredom-busting kit idea for keeping kids proactive and resourceful. Bookworm suggested a scavenger hunt for antsy toddlers, while mamamia proposed a scent-based version of the game for sensory fun. Other contributors agreed, noting that such activities were versatile, easy to set up and offered great sensory engagement for children.

Sunflower introduced a similar concept with taste jars, which also stimulated multiple senses and sparked conversations about flavours and memories. The simple yet impactful idea was well-received by others, who suggested different themes such as sight, smell, touch and sound variations of the jar activity, making it suitable for toddlers through to older children.

There was a common consensus that these kinds of activities kept kids entertained while also educating them about the world around them in fun and engaging ways—a win-win situation for parents and children alike!

Share your best parenting tips and tricks!

What creative ways have you found to keep the kids entertained? Do you have a clever life hack that makes parenting easier? Or maybe you've discovered an innovative way to teach your little ones important life skills?

Let's create a resource for all parents to find new, fun and effective ways to navigate the challenges and joys of raising children. Share your experiences and let's learn from each other!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and koala
One thing that has worked really well with my kids is creating a visual reward system. I got some chart paper and stuck it on the wall, making a large grid with spaces to put stickers. Each time they help out with chores or show good manners, they get to put a sticker on the chart. The goal is to fill up the chart, and once they do, we have a special family fun day - could be a picnic, a trip to the zoo, or an extra-special movie night at home. This has encouraged them to be more proactive in helping around the house and being thoughtful toward others. Plus, seeing the chart visually helps me remember to stop and applaud their efforts!

Another trick up my sleeve is keeping a 'boredom busting' kit ready for those whiny moments. I fill it with simple crafts and activities - think colored paper, glue sticks, pipe cleaners, bubbles, small toys, etc. When the kids say they're bored, I hand them the box and ask them to pick an activity. This not only keeps them entertained but also teaches them to be resourceful and manage their boredom independently.

What other parents out there have got in their arsenal? I'd love to hear more tips!

Reactions: chickadee
Love the visual reward system idea! We've used something similar and it's amazing how well it works to keep the little ones motivated.

Also, the boredom buster kit is a lifesaver! I might add some colored chalk to draw on the driveway or sidewalk - that can occupy kids for quite a while these days especially if you give them a theme or a game idea .

One thing that has worked well with my toddler is a modified scavenger hunt. When she's getting antsy, I'll give her a list of items to "find" - could be anything really: 3 leaves of different shapes/sizes, a yellow flower, something soft, etc. She loves being outdoors so this keeps her occupied and also tired enough for an early bedtime!

I'm all ears for more tips too - it's amazing what works with one kid doesn't necessarily work for another, so always good to have the toolbox full!

Summer-Survival-Kit-Ideas-List-for-Moms-Kids-min.png

Love the scavenger hunt idea! So adaptable depending on your location, time of year and the kids' interests. And great that it gets them outside too - win-win! I'm definitely adding that to my toolbox, thank you!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Scavenger hunts are a lot of fun and easy to adapt. Hope your kids enjoy them!

We love scavenger hunts in our house! One thing we like to do is create a scent-based hunt for the kids - prepares their noses for the real world haha! We'll hide some scented toys and then give hints or clues that have some sort of smell associated with them - like "find where the flowery perfume is hiding!" Great sensory fun and good luck to the hunters!

Reactions: wellness
That's such a fantastic idea! I love the focus on scent, it's an aspect most of us overlook but can offer so much sensory delight and learning. What a fun way to engage the little ones and keep them entertained! And their sense of smell is bound to get a real workout too - wonderful idea!

I think so too; it's an often-overlooked sense, but scent can evoke such powerful memories and emotions. It's a great way to help kids explore their surroundings and engage their senses! I'm definitely going to give this a go - the possibilities are endless!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
The sense of smell is such an important yet often forgotten about sensory gateway. It's wonderful hearing how it can help explore memories and emotions - especially for kids who are so curious and absorbant, it's a great way to engage their young minds! Would be interesting to hear some scent memory activities to try with the little ones!

Scent memories are such a lovely idea for kids - it's amazing how strong the link between smell and memory can be!

An activity that comes to mind is creating a 'smell jar'. You could take a small glass jar with a tight lid and fill it with some sort of aromatic plant or herb, like lavender or rosemary - even fresh citrus peels. Let the kids decorate the outside of the jar and then together you can talk about the smell; what it reminds them of, what memories it conjures up etc..

Another idea could be going on a 'smelly walk' - encourage them to stop and smell the roses literally! Explore different scents in nature like pine trees, freshly cut grass or even an earthy scent after rain. You could create a game where each scent leads to a certain number of points, creating an enjoyable and interactive experience.

Reactions: queenie
What fantastic ideas! I love how simple yet impactful these activities are, especially as kids are naturally curious and these would really engage their senses. The smell jar is a wonderful keepsake idea too and so easy to adapt with different fragrances. We've also done something similar with 'taste jars' - with spices like cinnamon, ginger etc which also sparks great conversation about flavours and memories!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
That taste jar activity is a fantastic addition - and a wonderful way to explore different senses too! I love how those jars can spark so much conversation and connection, especially with curious kids. What a great extension of the idea - thank you for sharing!

Reactions: eternity
You are very welcome! The taste jar is an all-around hit for sure and I'm glad you pointed out how it covers multiple senses too - a great activity for little ones to grow and learn through exploring. There's so much potential with these jars and I love hearing the different ways people use them! It's fun finding new extensions to keep trying.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
It's fantastic to hear how versatile taste jars can be - it seems like a simple yet effective way to stimulate multiple senses and keep little ones entertained while they learn. I'm definitely going to have to try this out and see what creative uses I can come up for them! Any recommendations for age groups or specific sense-based ideas would be so welcome - I can see this being an excellent resource for parents with toddlers through to older kids!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and bookworm
Taste jars are a hit with my toddler, and she loves exploring different textures and flavours. For sense-based ideas, I'd recommend:

1. Sight - Make the jar colourful by adding vibrant foods like berries, cereal, or even colored sugar. This encourages visual stimulation and can spark conversations about colours.

2. Smell - Include strong-scented herbs or spices like cinnamon, mint, or garlic. The aroma will engage their sense of smell, and you can talk about the different aromas.

3. Touch - Different textures like slippery pasta, fuzzy peanut butter, or crunchy cereal offer a tactile experience, especially if your child is visually impaired. They can feel each ingredient and guess what it is based on touch alone.

4. Taste - Obvious one here! Include various tasty treats like sweet fruits, sour candies, spicy foods , or savoury crackers. Discuss the different flavours and perhaps even create a taste map with them, labelling each sensation.

5. Sound - The crinkling of cellophane wrappers, the rattle of dry pasta, or the clinking of ice cubes all provide an auditory experience. You could even include some small toys that make a noise when shaken in the jar for added fun!

As for age recommendations, I'd say these jars are perfect for toddlers learning about the world through their senses, but older kids can get creative helping you prepare them and guess the ingredients, keeping it educational yet fun.

What fantastic sensory ideas! I especially love the idea of including strong scents like cinnamon and mint to engage their sense of smell - what a great way to introduce little ones to the world of spices!

For older kids, this could also be an opportune moment to discuss the science behind taste and sensation. It's amazing how much fun learning can be with these jars!

That's true! Using strong scents is a great way of introducing spices and herbs to children while making learning fun. And it's a great opportunity to talk about the science behind our senses - there's so much learning potential! It's amazing how something so simple can be such an effective educational tool.

Scent is a strong sense linked with memory, and it's a fun gateway into a whole conversation about the five senses and how much our brains are involved in our experience of the world! It's incredible the impact these simple strategies have on kids' learning.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wisdom and koala
Senses and smell memories are fascinating topics to explore with children and a great way to teach them about their senses and how much their brains impact their perception of the world.

Some extension activities could be exploring each sense individually and having scent-smelling sessions with things like essential oils or fresh herbs, blindfolded taste tests for taste and texture explorations, and listening exercises with different types of music or sounds to hear and differentiate between loud and soft, high and low pitched noises.

It's an excellent way to help them develop an awareness of their surroundings and an appreciation of nature and the world around them. It also encourages observation and critical thinking skills as they ponder how these senses impact their daily lives and experiences.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That is a fantastic idea! Teaching children about their senses is an excellent way to develop their awareness and appreciate the world around them.

It's intriguing how certain smells can evoke such vivid memories, and teaching kids about these connections can be so much fun. Using essential oils or real foods for smell and taste tests could also introduce a sensory element that could really engage little ones.

Exploring the different senses individually like this is a great activity to slow down and appreciate the intricacies of our perception - we often forget how much our senses influence our experience of the world!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu