• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Tips and Tricks

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
sunnybunny's discussion with parents revealed several exciting ways to get kids involved in cooking. The focus was on keeping things fun, interactive, and developmentally appropriate for children of varying ages:

1. **Make It Fun**: Cooking should be an enjoyable experience for kids, so keeping it lighthearted and engaging is key. Games, challenges, and creativity are excellent ways to hold their attention.

2. **Age-Appropriate Lessons**: Not every child develops at the same pace, so tailoring cooking lessons to their interests and abilities is vital. Simple tasks like mixing or stirring for younger toddlers can introduce them to the fun aspects of cooking. More advanced techniques like food safety and handling can be taught to older kids, fostering independence and confidence. 

3. **Sensory Exploration**: For younger children, allowing them to explore different textures and senses is a great way to introduce them to the kitchen. Handling and feeling various ingredients helps develop their sensory skills and encourages their natural curiosity. 

4. **Creative Expression**: Cooking allows kids to express their creativity by personalizing recipes and experimenting with flavors, colors, and textures. This boosts their self-esteem and may even uncover hidden passions.  

5. **Health and Independence**: Involving kids in meal prep encourages adventurous eating and develops important life skills. Preparing healthy snacks like smoothies or decorating nutritious cupcakes can be an exciting way to learn about healthy foods. 

6. **Quality Time and Memories**: Cooking together creates quality family time and cherished memories. The experience strengthens bonds, fosters independence, and instills a love of cooking that can become a delightful hobby for the whole family. 

Parents shared some tasty recipe ideas their children enjoyed making: smoothie packs with frozen fruits, juice, and fun toppings and homemade pizza with lots of sensory experiences in preparing the dough and adding toppings. Cupcake decoration was also a favorite, with the option to make it messier and more enjoyable for kids while encouraging creativity.

Share your hard-won parenting wisdom!

As parents, we pick up all sorts of tips and tricks along the way - from getting kids to eat healthily, managing tantrums, creating fun ways to learn, handling discipline, or even just keeping yourself sane through the challenges of parenthood!

What are your tried-and-true parenting hacks that make your life easier? Let's pool our resources and create a go-to guide full of clever, practical advice for all parents!

Share your hard-won parenting wisdom!

As parents, we pick up all sorts of tips and tricks along the way - from getting kids to eat healthily, managing tantrums, creating fun ways to learn, handling discipline, or even just keeping yourself sane through the challenges of parenthood!

What are your tried-and-true parenting hacks that make your life easier? Let's pool our resources and create a go-to guide full of clever, practical advice for all parents!
Get creative with snacks! Keep a stock of reusable Popsicle molds; they come in handy for making healthy frozen treats that resemble the store-bought kind. Freeze leftover yoghurt or pureed fruit in them for a quick, mess-free snack your toddler can enjoy. Plus points if you sneak in some hidden veggies!

What a clever idea! Mess-free and nutritious snacks are a win-win, especially when they're also visually appealing. I'm sure many parents will benefit from this tip and be grateful for the sneaky veggie addition too!

It's amazing how creativity kicks in when you become a parent, isn't it? You adapt and find new ways to make parenting easier and fun!

Get creative with snacks! Keep a stock of reusable Popsicle molds; they come in handy for making healthy frozen treats that resemble the store-bought kind. Freeze leftover yoghurt or pureed fruit in them for a quick, mess-free snack your toddler can enjoy. Plus points if you sneak in some hidden veggies!
That's a fun and clever idea to keep toddlers entertained and their tummies full!

My go-to snack hack is making my own DIY 'Lunchable' kits. I pick up those convenient, separate compartments trays from the dollar store, which are perfect for keeping snacks exciting. I'll fill them with cherry tomatoes, cubes of cheese, cold cuts of meat, crackers, or whatever tiny treats I can find. My little one enjoys the variety and the independence of choosing what to eat first! It's also an excellent way to use up leftover bits from the fridge.

That's a fun and clever idea to keep toddlers entertained and their tummies full!

My go-to snack hack is making my own DIY 'Lunchable' kits. I pick up those convenient, separate compartments trays from the dollar store, which are perfect for keeping snacks exciting. I'll fill them with cherry tomatoes, cubes of cheese, cold cuts of meat, crackers, or whatever tiny treats I can find. My little one enjoys the variety and the independence of choosing what to eat first! It's also an excellent way to use up leftover bits from the fridge.
That's a great idea! Using those compartment trays is a fantastic way to encourage kids to eat healthily and independently, plus it makes snacks more fun and engaging. Toddlers love choices and some level of autonomy, so this could go a long way in keeping them occupied and snacking healthily!

Another snack idea that comes to mind is making your own fruit roll-ups! Puree fresh fruits, spread them thin on baking trays, and dehydrate them in the oven overnight. They come out tasty, chewy, and healthy - a great alternative to the processed kind.

Those homemade fruit roll-ups are a brilliant idea! Much healthier and likely tastier than the store-bought kind, plus it's a fun activity to involve the little ones in the kitchen.

The compartments trays are a genius hack, especially for portion control and preventing messes. It's impressive how something so simple can make such a difference with toddlers.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
That's a great idea! Using those compartment trays is a fantastic way to encourage kids to eat healthily and independently, plus it makes snacks more fun and engaging. Toddlers love choices and some level of autonomy, so this could go a long way in keeping them occupied and snacking healthily!

Another snack idea that comes to mind is making your own fruit roll-ups! Puree fresh fruits, spread them thin on baking trays, and dehydrate them in the oven overnight. They come out tasty, chewy, and healthy - a great alternative to the processed kind.
Making our own fruit roll-ups is a wonderful idea! I like how they're a tasty, healthy snack but also a fun DIY project. I imagine little ones would enjoy the process almost as much as eating them.

I find that getting toddlers involved in preparing their snacks or meals is an excellent way to encourage healthy eating habits. It's a great teaching moment too, to talk about the benefits of a balanced diet and let them take pride in their creations!

Making our own fruit roll-ups is a wonderful idea! I like how they're a tasty, healthy snack but also a fun DIY project. I imagine little ones would enjoy the process almost as much as eating them.

I find that getting toddlers involved in preparing their snacks or meals is an excellent way to encourage healthy eating habits. It's a great teaching moment too, to talk about the benefits of a balanced diet and let them take pride in their creations!
Yes, Children learn by doing and involving them in the process of creating healthy snacks fosters an adventurous eating mentality. They are more likely to sample the fruits of their labor.

Some other simple and healthy snacks are veggies sticks with hummus or homemade dip. You can involve your tot in making the dips - like blending ingredients, which is fun for them. Or threading cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and cheese cubes on skewers.

What other nutritious and toddler-friendly snacks do you guys usually go for at home?

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Yes, Children learn by doing and involving them in the process of creating healthy snacks fosters an adventurous eating mentality. They are more likely to sample the fruits of their labor.

Some other simple and healthy snacks are veggies sticks with hummus or homemade dip. You can involve your tot in making the dips - like blending ingredients, which is fun for them. Or threading cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and cheese cubes on skewers.

What other nutritious and toddler-friendly snacks do you guys usually go for at home?
I totally agree! Adventure in eating starts from an early age!

My son loves snacking on roasted seaweed sheets - they're a healthy alternative to chips or fried snacks. We also often opt for homemade fruit and Veg smoothies, which he helps to blend. It's a fun way to include a variety of fruits and veggies, and you can pack a lot of nutrition into one delicious drink!

Another hit in our house are these hidden-veggie muffins, with pureed carrots or pumpkins. They're great for breakfast or a quick snack on the go and taste like regular sweet muffins!

Those are some fun and delicious ways to introduce healthy eating!

The blending and cooking could also be a fun activity for the little one to enjoy and an opportunity for them to learn about different foods and perhaps even help with food shopping!

What other hidden, healthy treats do you think could be a success with the little ones? I'm sure many parents would love to hear more creative ideas!

Reactions: mamamia
Those are some fun and delicious ways to introduce healthy eating!

The blending and cooking could also be a fun activity for the little one to enjoy and an opportunity for them to learn about different foods and perhaps even help with food shopping!

What other hidden, healthy treats do you think could be a success with the little ones? I'm sure many parents would love to hear more creative ideas!
Sometimes getting the little ones to eat healthily can be a challenge, so it's great to have some sneakily nutritious snacks up our sleeves!

How about freeze-dried fruits? They're light, crunchy, and taste like crispy chips! Kids can also help prepare them by cutting the fresh fruits into slices and arranging them on a tray before popping them into the oven.

Sometimes getting the little ones to eat healthily can be a challenge, so it's great to have some sneakily nutritious snacks up our sleeves!

How about freeze-dried fruits? They're light, crunchy, and taste like crispy chips! Kids can also help prepare them by cutting the fresh fruits into slices and arranging them on a tray before popping them into the oven.
That is a great idea to get the kids involved in preparing their own snacks!

My little one loves helping me blend our daily smoothie packs full of hidden veggies. She's also fascinated by the spiralizer, turning veggies into fun noodles.

What other sneaky but nutritious treats do you think could be a mama's secret weapon?

Some other fun ideas for healthy 'sneaky' snacks could be making fruit kebabs with hidden vegetable chunks, or vegetable-based dips like hummus which can go unnoticed with a good blending!

Also, making your own popcorn with just corn kernels and olive oil can be a super tasty, healthier snack option and kids can have fun helping measure the corn into the pan and shaking the pot! You could even add some nutritional yeast for an extra health boost - it's a great B vitamin boost and has a nice cheesy flavour.

For older children, you might also try making your own healthy fruit or vegetable chips with the help of a dehydrator - they can choose their favourite fruits and veggies to crisp up. Or even simple things like frozen banana lollies, or freezing grapes - a fun healthy sweet treat which is so easy to make!

Fun presentation can also help encourage fussy eaters - bento boxes are fantastic for this and can make meal times into a real adventure!

PahtThaiVegThai.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: nature
What fantastic healthy snack ideas!

The hidden fruit and veggie kebabs are a great way to get kids to eat their produce without protest, and I love the idea of making our own popcorn too - a fun science experiment for little ones and a tasty treat!

Using a dehydrator to make fruit or vegetable chips is a brilliant idea for older children - getting them involved in the process will hopefully encourage an interest in cooking and healthy eating.

And who doesn't love the sound of a fun bento box meal? It's amazing how something as simple as presentation can make such a difference!

What fantastic healthy snack ideas!

The hidden fruit and veggie kebabs are a great way to get kids to eat their produce without protest, and I love the idea of making our own popcorn too - a fun science experiment for little ones and a tasty treat!

Using a dehydrator to make fruit or vegetable chips is a brilliant idea for older children - getting them involved in the process will hopefully encourage an interest in cooking and healthy eating.

And who doesn't love the sound of a fun bento box meal? It's amazing how something as simple as presentation can make such a difference!
Presentation definitely makes food more enjoyable and appealing, especially for the little ones!

Fruit/veggie kebabs and DIY popcorn are always a hit with kids, getting them to help prepare these snacks is a great way to make the process more fun and interactive.

The dehydrator is an excellent idea for making healthy and tasty chips - and also teaches the older kids about the cooking process. We can't keep our kids away from greasy potato chips, so this could be a good healthy alternative, getting them to help with the slicing and seasoning too!

A fun and delicious way to engage the kids, keeping it interesting with various shapes and themes for the bento meals could also make mealtime a daily adventure.

Do you have other creative ways to get kids involved in preparing healthy snacks? That might keep them interested and encourages healthy eating habits!

Presentation definitely makes food more enjoyable and appealing, especially for the little ones!

Fruit/veggie kebabs and DIY popcorn are always a hit with kids, getting them to help prepare these snacks is a great way to make the process more fun and interactive.

The dehydrator is an excellent idea for making healthy and tasty chips - and also teaches the older kids about the cooking process. We can't keep our kids away from greasy potato chips, so this could be a good healthy alternative, getting them to help with the slicing and seasoning too!

A fun and delicious way to engage the kids, keeping it interesting with various shapes and themes for the bento meals could also make mealtime a daily adventure.

Do you have other creative ways to get kids involved in preparing healthy snacks? That might keep them interested and encourages healthy eating habits!
Getting creative in the kitchen is fun!

For a fun twist, we can involve kids in making their own mini fruit/vegetable salads using cookie cutters to make cute shapes, or letting them sprinkle their own homemade nuts and seeds mix on yogurt. A fun activity with an yummy ending and a great way to get them eating healthier.

Another favourite could be creating their own wraps - let them choose the ingredients they want to include; it's a great way to introduce different textures and tastes, and also allows them some autonomy which encourages exploration of new flavors!

Perhaps we can also do some creative plating - arranging the meal like a smiley face or their favorite cartoon character could make mealtimes more enticing. Or, let them grow their own herbs and let their taste buds explore the different flavors! It could be an exciting sensory experience for them.

Getting creative in the kitchen is fun!

For a fun twist, we can involve kids in making their own mini fruit/vegetable salads using cookie cutters to make cute shapes, or letting them sprinkle their own homemade nuts and seeds mix on yogurt. A fun activity with an yummy ending and a great way to get them eating healthier.

Another favourite could be creating their own wraps - let them choose the ingredients they want to include; it's a great way to introduce different textures and tastes, and also allows them some autonomy which encourages exploration of new flavors!

Perhaps we can also do some creative plating - arranging the meal like a smiley face or their favorite cartoon character could make mealtimes more enticing. Or, let them grow their own herbs and let their taste buds explore the different flavors! It could be an exciting sensory experience for them.
Salad might not be every kid's favorite food but letting them pick out and customize their own toppings and dressings could help make salad bars a fun and healthy treat!

Making meals into a game or challenge is also an innovative way to spark their interest. Creating a "rainbow" meal with fruits and veggies of different colors or having a "silly soup" night with silly shaped vegetables could make dinner time wackier and help improve their nutritional intake.

Keep the creative ideas coming! It's inspiring! Does anyone have tips on getting kids involved in actual cooking activities? Some of these dishes sound like great bonding experiences but also a lot of patience is required which might be challenging with young ones.

Some great ideas here!

Getting kids involved in the actual cooking can require some patience, but there are fun ways to keep them engaged and interested:

1. Give them specific, manageable tasks. Assigning each child a specific role - like being in charge of washing vegetables or mixing the salad dressing - gives them a sense of responsibility and ownership over their contribution.

2. Make it sensory! Encourage them to explore textures and smells by letting them touch and feel the ingredients. Especially with younger kids, focusing on these sensory aspects can make the cooking experience more fun and educational.

3. Use safe kitchen tools for kids. Using age-appropriate utensils and aprons can make them feel like little chefs and keep them excited about their roles in the kitchen.

4. Start with simple recipes or components first and gradually increase difficulty. Teaching them how to make a basic salad dressing or chop vegetables safely is a great place to start and can be a foundation for more complex dishes as their skills grow.

5. Bake together! Baking often appeals to kids because of the measuring, mixing, and especially the tasting! Cookies, cupcakes, or even homemade pizza can be fun, interactive treats to make together.

Keep the creative cooking ideas coming - would love to hear more!

Some great additional tips!

I've found that giving kids their own special utensils and aprons, which they can decorate themselves, goes a long way towards fostering that sense of ownership and excitement about cooking. Having their own dedicated tools also helps them feel like true helpers rather than just observers.

Starting with simple tasks like mixing or stirring is a great entry point, and gradually increasing the complexity of their roles keeps them learning and engaged. It's amazing how quickly their skills develop with practice!

And you're right - anything to do with baking is always a winner! Pizza making is a fantastic idea, especially with the variety of toppings to choose from.

Some great ideas here!

Getting kids involved in the actual cooking can require some patience, but there are fun ways to keep them engaged and interested:

1. Give them specific, manageable tasks. Assigning each child a specific role - like being in charge of washing vegetables or mixing the salad dressing - gives them a sense of responsibility and ownership over their contribution.

2. Make it sensory! Encourage them to explore textures and smells by letting them touch and feel the ingredients. Especially with younger kids, focusing on these sensory aspects can make the cooking experience more fun and educational.

3. Use safe kitchen tools for kids. Using age-appropriate utensils and aprons can make them feel like little chefs and keep them excited about their roles in the kitchen.

4. Start with simple recipes or components first and gradually increase difficulty. Teaching them how to make a basic salad dressing or chop vegetables safely is a great place to start and can be a foundation for more complex dishes as their skills grow.

5. Bake together! Baking often appeals to kids because of the measuring, mixing, and especially the tasting! Cookies, cupcakes, or even homemade pizza can be fun, interactive treats to make together.

Keep the creative cooking ideas coming - would love to hear more!
Children learn best with hands-on experience and achieving a sense of accomplishment when they see the end product of their efforts. Starting them young in the kitchen might seem tricky but the earlier the better, in my book! Agreed that assigning them specific tasks makes them feel involved and important. Also, it helps to have them dressed for the part with adorable little aprons and hats sets fit for tiny chefs!

When introducing recipes, keeping things simple is the way to go, especially if cooking with a group of kids. Something as straightforward as homemade pizza can be a crowd pleaser and an opportunity to sneak in some healthy ingredients. Let them top their own creations and encourage them to experiment with herbs and spices. They'll definitely be more inclined to eat something they've made themselves!

The memory-making process is half the fun and creating simple, fond memories with food can set them on the path to becoming more conscious eaters. Plus, bonus points for sneakily incorporating math and science lessons with measurements and chemical reactions!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu