• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting tips and tricks

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your hardest-earned parenting secrets!

What's that one genius move, product, or strategy you've discovered that helps keep your kiddo happy, healthy, and thriving? Let's pool our resources and collect the ultimate guide of tried-and-true parenting hacks to make life as seamless as possible. Whether it's an ingenious way to get your little ones to eat their veggies or a genius method for getting them to pick up their toys, spill your secrets!

I'll go first: I keep a "magic bag" stocked with various small toys and treats. When my patience is tested and I need some emergency distraction, I pull out this bag and let my little one pick something new. It's a lifesaver when I need to run errands or have an important phone call and keeps the tantrums at bay! What are your go-to tricks?

Share your hardest-earned parenting secrets!

What's that one genius move, product, or strategy you've discovered that helps keep your kiddo happy, healthy, and thriving? Let's pool our resources and collect the ultimate guide of tried-and-true parenting hacks to make life as seamless as possible. Whether it's an ingenious way to get your little ones to eat their veggies or a genius method for getting them to pick up their toys, spill your secrets!

I'll go first: I keep a "magic bag" stocked with various small toys and treats. When my patience is tested and I need some emergency distraction, I pull out this bag and let my little one pick something new. It's a lifesaver when I need to run errands or have an important phone call and keeps the tantrums at bay! What are your go-to tricks?
My foolproof strategy for getting my picky eater to consume a balanced diet is involving her in growing and preparing food. We have a small urban farm where she helps cultivate herbs and veggies. The pride and excitement of harvesting her own crops motivate her to try the foods she's grown, even encouraging her to eat more healthily.

That's a clever way to encourage healthy eating! There's something special about growing and harvesting your own food. It connects people with their meals in a profound way and makes them appreciate the effort and nature's gifts. Kids especially can be prideful of the produce they've tended, which might make them more receptive to trying new things - an important step towards a balanced diet.

It's heartening to hear how you're exposing your child to this experience early on and nurturing an adventure spirit in her!

Thank you so much! I've always loved gardening and knew I wanted to share that passion with my little one. It's amazing to see her discover new fruits and ask for them by name when we're out grocery shopping. I think it also helps that she can visually identify where these foods come from - there's a sense of familiarity and comfort in knowing that these delicious treats come from our little garden patch!

It's wonderful to hear how your little one has developed a love for gardening and has formed a tangible connection with nature through it. There's so much learning happening too - from exposure to different fruits and vegetables, to understanding where our food comes from. It's an excellent way to bridge the gap between the outdoors and the kitchen!

That's such a great point about bridging the gap between the garden and the kitchen - it's amazing how a simple activity like gardening can offer kids such a holistic learning experience, from the wonders of nature to an appreciation for the food we eat! It's heartwarming to see these young connections with the natural world.

That's such a great point about bridging the gap between the garden and the kitchen - it's amazing how a simple activity like gardening can offer kids such a holistic learning experience, from the wonders of nature to an appreciation for the food we eat! It's heartwarming to see these young connections with the natural world.
Yeah, it's wonderful how gardening can educate kids about the origins of our food. It's a great way to get picky eaters interested in trying new produce too. The experience of growing and tending to plants can really open up their eyes and palates!

It's also a nice opportunity for some bondin' time, and an incentive to get them involved in preparing meals. Might even be a good gateway to more sustainable eatin' habits!

Yeah, it's wonderful how gardening helps kids develop a deeper understanding of the natural process and appreciate the food they eat rather than thinking meals just appear miraculously on their plates!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Absolutely! Not only does it teach them about the natural world around them and where food comes from, but it's a fantastic way to get kids outdoors and away from screens. Plus, they can learn some responsibility and the satisfaction that comes with caring for another life . There are so many lessons a child can learn from helping out in the garden!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
So true! I've always found that giving children some form of ownership and responsibility - especially over nature, plants and animals - really instils a sense of caring and patience too as they watch things grow. It's a great lesson in nurturing and also in appreciating the time and effort needed for certain rewards.

So true! I've always found that giving children some form of ownership and responsibility - especially over nature, plants and animals - really instils a sense of caring and patience too as they watch things grow. It's a great lesson in nurturing and also in appreciating the time and effort needed for certain rewards.
Having pets or plants that they need to take care of teaches kids responsibility at an early age. Watching and caring for living things grow requires patience and nurturing skills - an educational yet fun way to spend time!

That's a great point! Teaching them the responsibilities that come with owning a pet or tending to a plant prepares them for so many essential life skills. It's a fantastic way to instill patience, empathy, and dedication. Plus, it gives them a sense of ownership and pride when they see their efforts grow and flourish!

Responsibility is a great life skill to teach children and having them tend to pets or plants is a wonderful way to do that. Instilling empathy and patience, and showing them the fruits of their labour when their plant finally blooms or their pet grows, is such a great visual reward. It's a win-win strategy!

What other ways do you think help teach kids responsibility?

Reactions: chickadee
Some great ideas on teaching kids responsibility:

- Assigning age-appropriate chores and giving a daily/weekly checklist helps them understand the concept of long term responsibility.

- Allow children to make some decisions themselves, like choosing their outfits for school or deciding the menu for family dinner. It fosters planning skills and instils confidence in their abilities.

- Giving them a small allowance and helping them divide it into savings, spending and charity can teach financial literacy and impulse control.

Responsibility teachings are so important, especially as kids grow older; any strategies that work are great!

Some great ideas on teaching kids responsibility:

- Assigning age-appropriate chores and giving a daily/weekly checklist helps them understand the concept of long term responsibility.

- Allow children to make some decisions themselves, like choosing their outfits for school or deciding the menu for family dinner. It fosters planning skills and instils confidence in their abilities.

- Giving them a small allowance and helping them divide it into savings, spending and charity can teach financial literacy and impulse control.

Responsibility teachings are so important, especially as kids grow older; any strategies that work are great!
It's a great idea to teach responsibility early on! I've found that providing a reasonable amount of autonomy and the freedom to make choices - especially ones that allow them to express their personalities - helps boost their confidence and sense of identity.

For instance, choosing their own outfits empowers them to express their style and teaches them the planning skill of deciding what works best for school or other occasions ahead of time. This can also reduce those tedious daily decision-making battles. Winning!

It's a great idea to teach responsibility early on! I've found that providing a reasonable amount of autonomy and the freedom to make choices - especially ones that allow them to express their personalities - helps boost their confidence and sense of identity.

For instance, choosing their own outfits empowers them to express their style and teaches them the planning skill of deciding what works best for school or other occasions ahead of time. This can also reduce those tedious daily decision-making battles. Winning!
Absolutely! Kids these days are very observant and absorbing everything around them; giving them a sense of autonomy is an excellent way to boost their confidence and empower them.

It's a fine line we walk as parents, providing structure and guidance while allowing them the freedom to express themselves. We can teach them so much about decision-making and planning ahead with these simple strategies, which will benefit them in the long run! Having responsible and confident children is what every parent hopes for.

Letting them pick their clothes helps build confidence and fosters personal expression. It's a great way to make them feel like individuals and empowers them to take an exciting step towards discovering their style. They learn to plan and decide what's appropriate, saving us the daily hassle of deciding for them. This simple trick makes everyone a winner!

This is such a great tip! It gives children an opportunity to develop their sense of identity and assert themselves, all while teaching them about making choices and considering the consequences without it being a battle of wills. And little ones love getting approval for their choices too - bonus feel-good factor!

5_Ways_to_Build_Lasting_Self-Esteem_in_Kids.jpg

Reactions: mamamia
Giving children options within set boundaries is a brilliant way to help them explore their sense of self and develop confidence – all while keeping everyone happy! The earlier you introduced this technique, the better too as it's an easy and fun way to foster good decision-making from an early age. And who doesn't love seeing those beaming smiles when their choices are praised?!

The image attached is also a great read, packed full of simple but effective tips - giving children time to calm down, showing them affection and avoiding labels like 'naughty' are such simple yet impactful ways to boost their self-esteem.

This is such a great tip! It gives children an opportunity to develop their sense of identity and assert themselves, all while teaching them about making choices and considering the consequences without it being a battle of wills. And little ones love getting approval for their choices too - bonus feel-good factor!

5_Ways_to_Build_Lasting_Self-Esteem_in_Kids.jpg
Providing choices lets kids explore their independence and develops their confidence - a win-win situation! The feel-good factor boosts their mood and encourages them to make more thoughtful decisions.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu