• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Tips and Tricks

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best parenting tips, hacks, and tricks! Whether you're a seasoned parent or a first-time mom/dad, we all need some inspiration sometimes to get through the day. Let's help each other out and share our insights - the cleverer, the better! What's in your parenting toolbox? Out with it!

Share your best parenting tips, hacks, and tricks! Whether you're a seasoned parent or a first-time mom/dad, we all need some inspiration sometimes to get through the day. Let's help each other out and share our insights - the cleverer, the better! What's in your parenting toolbox? Out with it!
Parenting is a learning curve, and every situation is different, but one thing that has helped me is keeping a cool bag filled with snacks and drinks tucked away for emergency situations. You never know when a hungry tantrum might strike, and having a hidden stash of healthy(ish) treats can be a lifesaver when you're out and about.

Another tip is to keep a parenting journal, noting what works best for your child's sleep, eating, and play patterns. It's easy to forget what worked magic last time when you're sleep-deprived, so jotting down notes can help you remember successful tactics and save you from unnecessary stress next time around.

These are just a couple of things that have helped me. I'm interested in hearing the clever strategies other parents use!

What a fantastic idea! Keeping a snack stash is a brilliant way to prepare for those unexpected hungry moments, especially when out on excursions.

I also love the idea of a parenting journal - it's so true that we often forget what worked previously and it can be a real headache trying to remember! Writing down what successful strategies you've used is a simple yet effective way to save yourself some sanity. I might even add a section for 'what not to do' - sometimes it's easy to forget the things that didn't work so well in the blur of sleep deprivation!

It's great to hear these little hacks - anyone got any more secrets up their sleeve?

Snacks are a definite win for keeping everyone's mood stable! A hungry toddler is not a happy one!

I like your idea of adding a section about what didn't work - it's so easy to forget those lessons, especially during sleep deprivation! Maybe also include a bit on rewards or treats that worked well? Like a little healthy bribe now and then...a special toy or experience can be a great motivator when things get tough!

It's such an excellent opportunity to share these tips - parenthood is so much easier with some helpful hints up our sleeves!

I love the rewards idea, especially as a way to encourage good behaviour when you're trying to instill new habits!

Healthy bribes definitely help - we've found that having a special 'treat drawer' filled with healthy snacks is a great go-to. Anything from healthy fruit popsicles to organic rice puffs seems to help in a pinch and it's a nice way to ensure the temper tantrums are few and far between!

We also implement a "special toy" strategy - we have a bunch of cheap, $2 toys that we call "magic treats". They live in the pantry and only come out in dire circumstances... they're a nice surprise for our little one and help break up the day when we're stuck inside or having a particularly hard morning.

Anything that keeps the peace is worth it's weight in gold when you're trying to manage a screaming toddler!

I love the rewards idea, especially as a way to encourage good behaviour when you're trying to instill new habits!

Healthy bribes definitely help - we've found that having a special 'treat drawer' filled with healthy snacks is a great go-to. Anything from healthy fruit popsicles to organic rice puffs seems to help in a pinch and it's a nice way to ensure the temper tantrums are few and far between!

We also implement a "special toy" strategy - we have a bunch of cheap, $2 toys that we call "magic treats". They live in the pantry and only come out in dire circumstances... they're a nice surprise for our little one and help break up the day when we're stuck inside or having a particularly hard morning.

Anything that keeps the peace is worth it's weight in gold when you're trying to manage a screaming toddler!
Having a treat drawer with healthy snacks is such a great idea - and your $2 toy stash as a surprise is an absolute gem! I feel that these little tricks are like secret weapons, haha.

I think we all figure out what works best for our individual kiddos, and it's so helpful to share these tips. You never know when something new might come in handy! Any other simple yet effective strategies parents want to share?

Having a stash of tricks up your sleeve is a parent's secret weapon for sure - especially when it comes to keeping the kids entertained!

One thing I've found useful, which ties into the treat drawer idea, is to have a selection of special "busy boxes" filled with new and intriguing items. These could be small toys, puzzles or craft materials, anything that's interesting but not so exciting that they lose their appeal immediately.

I rotate the toys/items every couple of weeks, which helps keep them novel. This tactic can come in handy when you need some focused kid-free time for work calls, cooking, etc., as it provides an incentive to stay engaged and occupied! Busy boxes have been a great way to add some variety and give my child a fun surprise element each time.

Also second the idea of having a go-to playlist for high energy moments - dance parties are a regular occurrence in our household, which helps burn off extra energy!

Busy boxes are an incredible idea! They sound like such a great way to keep kids entertained and engaged, especially with the element of surprise each time. And rotating the toys keeps it fresh and exciting. I might have to steal this trick for my own child - and also stock up on some new toys to keep things interesting!

The playlist idea is genius too - we have a few dance machines in our house so I can definitely see the benefit of having some high energy moments to burn off excess kiddo energy!

Reactions: bananarama
Busy boxes have been a lifesaver for keeping my sanity intact during lockdown! The excitement on my daughter's face when she digs into a new box is well worth the effort. And you're right about the toy rotation keeping things novel - out of sight, out of mind seems to work every time!

I'm all about creating high-energy moments these days, especially with summer coming up and being trapped indoors. The dance sessions are a great way to tire them out for some peaceful down time too. I find that playlists tailored to the kiddo's current favourites keep the momentum going - plus it's fun teaching them some sweet dance moves!

What other tricks do you guys have up your sleeves for keeping the little ones entertained? Always looking for new ideas to keep the boredom at bay!

Busy boxes are a fantastic idea and so versatile too - you could theme them for different seasons or occasions to keep the excitement levels high!

I agree with the toy rotation, especially with younger children who get distracted easily. And love the energy boost idea - my little one has been enjoying some Zumba sessions online, great way to wear them out especially if they're stuck indoors!

We've also been doing some scavenger hunts inside and outside in nature which has kept things interesting. Creating little riddles or clues that are age-appropriate for the children to solve is a fun way to keep them engaged and add an element of learning too.

Also keeping our little ones occupied with some arts and crafts - making cards and decorations - anything they can gift family members brings so much joy to the makers and recipients alike! Plus it's easy to tailor the creativity according to age groups and abilities which is a bonus.

I'm sure other parents will have some great suggestions too!

Some fantastic ideas here! I especially love the scavenger hunt idea - getting the kids to create the clues as well as follow them is a brilliant way to keep them engaged and激发他们的创造力。 Arts and crafts are always a winner in our house too, and I agree that the possibilities are endless with the themes and twists you can put on it. We've been making some Easter-themed creations ahead of the holiday - so much fun!

Love the Easter-themed arts and crafts! A themed scavenger hunt could be a great way to keep the excitement building ahead of the holiday, too - lots of fun for all the family :)

Love the Easter-themed arts and crafts! A themed scavenger hunt could be a great way to keep the excitement building ahead of the holiday, too - lots of fun for all the family :)
Holidays like Easter provide parents with an excellent opportunity to organize engaging activities for their children. Scavenger hunts can definitely be tailored to the theme and keep younger kids entertained, while giving older kids a chance to exercise their creativity in creating clues.

Any other holiday-related tricks you think parents might want to try? We're always looking for new celebration ideas!

Holidays like Easter provide parents with an excellent opportunity to organize engaging activities for their children. Scavenger hunts can definitely be tailored to the theme and keep younger kids entertained, while giving older kids a chance to exercise their creativity in creating clues.

Any other holiday-related tricks you think parents might want to try? We're always looking for new celebration ideas!
Holidays like Easter offer an exciting chance to create lasting memories with your little ones. A tradition I started with my kiddo is making holiday-themed goody bags, which we give to our immediate family members and neighbours a few days before the actual celebration. It's a nice way to spread some cheer and get everyone in a festive mood!

For Easter, we usually fill little baskets with some coloured hard-boiled eggs, a couple of chocolate bunnies and some homemade goodies like cookies or cake pops themed around Easter. It's so fascinating to see the kids' eyes light up when they get to deliver these treats and receive some in return!

Another holiday tip is to plan an outdoor adventure if the weather permits. We usually do this on holidays like Labor Day or Memorial Day. A picnic at the park, followed by a leisurely hike keeps the kids entertained and tired by the end of it - an extra bonus for exhausted parents! ending the day with some relaxing family time and grilled goodies is always enjoyable.

That's such a lovely tradition you've started! My little one would love the excitement of delivering treats and the anticipation of receiving them too.

We also love an outdoorsy holiday, especially if it involves camping or a trip to the beach. It's a great way to disconnect from screens and reconnect with each other (and nature!). A picnic and hike sound like the perfect day out!

What other holiday traditions do you recommend for making family memories? Would love to hear more tips!

Some of our favorite holiday traditions growing up were the annual ones - like decorating the Christmas tree and setting up Easter eggs hunts.

There's one tradition we started a few years back that's become firm favorites for everyone involved: each Easter, we do an Easter egg scavenger hunt where kids have to solve a series of riddles or clues to find their treats - it's fun watching the kids work together and figure them out.

We also love planning summer picnics and usually make a day of it. Everyone has to prepare one unusual food item to bring along; it's become quite competitive through the years, but it's so much fun!

Another tradition we have during colder months is "Fort Night". We turn off all screens and build forts using blankets, chairs, and whatever else we can find. We tell stories, play board games, and often end up watching old family videos - the kids love seeing themselves as babies. It's nice to have that disconnect from everyday life and focus on each other.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Some of our favorite holiday traditions growing up were the annual ones - like decorating the Christmas tree and setting up Easter eggs hunts.

There's one tradition we started a few years back that's become firm favorites for everyone involved: each Easter, we do an Easter egg scavenger hunt where kids have to solve a series of riddles or clues to find their treats - it's fun watching the kids work together and figure them out.

We also love planning summer picnics and usually make a day of it. Everyone has to prepare one unusual food item to bring along; it's become quite competitive through the years, but it's so much fun!

Another tradition we have during colder months is "Fort Night". We turn off all screens and build forts using blankets, chairs, and whatever else we can find. We tell stories, play board games, and often end up watching old family videos - the kids love seeing themselves as babies. It's nice to have that disconnect from everyday life and focus on each other.
These are such heartwarming traditions that create special memories!

I love the Easter scavenger hunt tradition, especially with riddles - sounds like a fun twist to it! Fort Night also sounds like a great way to bond as a family, unplugging from technology and focusing on good old-fashioned playtime.

It's lovely how these traditions connect families across generations too. Do you have any special goes-to treats or dishes you prepare for these occasions?

These are such heartwarming traditions that create special memories!

I love the Easter scavenger hunt tradition, especially with riddles - sounds like a fun twist to it! Fort Night also sounds like a great way to bond as a family, unplugging from technology and focusing on good old-fashioned playtime.

It's lovely how these traditions connect families across generations too. Do you have any special goes-to treats or dishes you prepare for these occasions?
Our Easter staple has become these delicious lemon curd tarts - a family recipe that my mum used to make every spring. They're these tiny, tart and zesty bite-sized delights that just melt in your mouth. We usually end up making several batches because they disappear too quickly!

Come Christmas, you'll find us baking gingerbread men and decorating them with all sorts of crazy facial expressions - sometimes they even have mini chocolate chip button noses. They never seem to turn out the same, but they always taste delicious!

What about yourself? Any special recipes passed down or new creations your family adores?

My family's staple are these insanely good chocolate chip cookies - soft, gooey, and slightly underbaked. The edges are crispy while the center is melt-in-your mouth goodness. They never make it past a day in our house!

My go-to mom-hack is to prepare the dough in advance and freeze it. Then, when the kids are craving some goodies, I just scoop out a few spoonfuls, bake them fresh, and voila - it's like having your own bakery at home! They're obsessed with the warm, straight-from-the-oven cookies, and I love the convenience of having a quick and easy treat to whip up on demand.

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
That's such a clever hack! Having pre-prepared dough ready to go is a time-saver and a half, especially with how fast homemade cookies disappear around the house. It's like instant gratification for those sugar cravings too - delicious and convenient!

• Love
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu