• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting through adoption and fostering

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm so glad this forum exists to support one another as we navigate such similar yet uniquely challenging roads. As an adopter/foster parent, what do you feel are some of the most difficult aspects of your experience? For starters, I find the fear of bonding incorrectly or inadequately quite daunting. It's a delicate balance wanting to love them but also preparing for possible goodbyes and managing my own expectations with realistic outcomes. How have others coped with this fear and so many others that come with the territory?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I think one of the hardest things is the uncertainty - you can never predict how things will go, especially at the beginning when everything is so new and unsure. That fear of bonding is so difficult; I found it helpful to remind myself that my love for this child could only ever be a good thing - even if circumstances meant we had to say goodbye, that time together would have been filled with love and security, which is such an important base for any child's future relationships. It's also really tricky when you're parenting children who have experienced trauma - trying to support their healing process while also setting boundaries can be so hard, especially when behaviour is challenging. Learning about the impact of trauma and reading up on ways to support these lovely kids has helped me feel a bit more in control, though it's certainly not an exact science! Would love to hear others' thoughts - this stuff is so unique but it's great we're able to share experiences and offer each other some reassurance.

I'm so glad this forum exists to support one another as we navigate such similar yet uniquely challenging roads. As an adopter/foster parent, what do you feel are some of the most difficult aspects of your experience? For starters, I find the fear of bonding incorrectly or inadequately quite daunting. It's a delicate balance wanting to love them but also preparing for possible goodbyes and managing my own expectations with realistic outcomes. How have others coped with this fear and so many others that come with the territory?
The fear of the unknown outcome is a real challenge - you never know how these little ones will fit into our lives and hearts, and whether we're doing enough to help them adjust. It's a brave step to take, fostering or adopting, but all we can do is give our love and support, knowing it's worth the risk despite the vulnerability. Some focus on the present and take it day by day, while others find ways to connect and prepare for the possibilities, which definitely helps with the unknown.

The fostering system can be emotionally complex, fearing that your heart could get broken when bonding with a child who may later leave you. I cope by reminding myself that in the worse case scenario, there's always therapy! (joke but also true, haha).

On a serious note, this fear of bonding is natural, so I actively take steps to stay connected with the present and appreciate the journey rather than dread the possible farewells.

How do others deal with these fears?

I think one of the hardest things is the uncertainty - you can never predict how things will go, especially at the beginning when everything is so new and unsure. That fear of bonding is so difficult; I found it helpful to remind myself that my love for this child could only ever be a good thing - even if circumstances meant we had to say goodbye, that time together would have been filled with love and security, which is such an important base for any child's future relationships. It's also really tricky when you're parenting children who have experienced trauma - trying to support their healing process while also setting boundaries can be so hard, especially when behaviour is challenging. Learning about the impact of trauma and reading up on ways to support these lovely kids has helped me feel a bit more in control, though it's certainly not an exact science! Would love to hear others' thoughts - this stuff is so unique but it's great we're able to share experiences and offer each other some reassurance.
Yes, the uncertainty and complexity that come with fostering/adoption are challenging. It's good to hear your perspective on how you navigate the love and possible departure. Children's trauma and its impacts on their behavior is a real challenge that I also struggle with. Like you, I try to stay educated on their mental health and learn ways to help them through the healing process, which is crucial for their growth and future relationships too.

it's the complexity of managing our hopes, expectations, and the uncertainties that make adoption and fostering such a nerve-wracking yet rewarding experience.

Some children may have emotional or psychological difficulties due to their past trauma, and this presents a challenge to parents in helping them overcome these challenges. This is a hard question because every situation is unique and there's no one-size-fits-all solution; seeking professional help and doing your best as a parent might be the only actionable solutions.

The fear of the unknown outcome is a real challenge - you never know how these little ones will fit into our lives and hearts, and whether we're doing enough to help them adjust. It's a brave step to take, fostering or adopting, but all we can do is give our love and support, knowing it's worth the risk despite the vulnerability. Some focus on the present and take it day by day, while others find ways to connect and prepare for the possibilities, which definitely helps with the unknown.
That's true. Focus on what I can control - which is providing a stable and loving environment - and reminding myself that every child deserves love and care, no matter what the future holds, is a great way of thinking about it. Does anyone else find the initial stages after placement the most challenging - you know, establishing routine, boundaries, and getting to know each other? I recall having so many questions and doubts during that period, wondering if I was doing okay.

Yes, the uncertainty and complexity that come with fostering/adoption are challenging. It's good to hear your perspective on how you navigate the love and possible departure. Children's trauma and its impacts on their behavior is a real challenge that I also struggle with. Like you, I try to stay educated on their mental health and learn ways to help them through the healing process, which is crucial for their growth and future relationships too.
Trauma-informed strategies are so important - it's incredible how understanding these strategies can help us support these children in a more meaningful way and help build that secure attachment, despite the challenges. The journey is certainly worthwhile, even with all the complexities.

As you mentioned, focusing on the present and being mindful helps ease the anxiety of unsure outcomes. That's great advice! Taking it one day at a time and appreciating each step of this journey can help reduce some of the daunting aspects of fostering/adopting. The complexities are definitely worth the rewards - bringing stability and love to these children is such a wonderful act of service, despite the struggles.

That's true. Focus on what I can control - which is providing a stable and loving environment - and reminding myself that every child deserves love and care, no matter what the future holds, is a great way of thinking about it. Does anyone else find the initial stages after placement the most challenging - you know, establishing routine, boundaries, and getting to know each other? I recall having so many questions and doubts during that period, wondering if I was doing okay.
Yes, I think the beginning is definitely the hardest - so much uncertainty, and everything is new and unfamiliar. You're right about the doubts that creep in; I remember constantly second-guessing myself too! For me, it was also tricky managing the excitement and eagerness to bond, while also having to keep a level head and not get too attached just in case - it's a real emotional rollercoaster! It's reassuring to hear other parents' experiences and how they coped (or didn't!) with the initial challenges. I think it helps us feel like we're not alone in the struggles, and that's half the battle won.

Trauma-informed strategies are so important - it's incredible how understanding these strategies can help us support these children in a more meaningful way and help build that secure attachment, despite the challenges. The journey is certainly worthwhile, even with all the complexities.
Yes, I agree that having some knowledge and awareness of trauma-informed practices helps, especially when we're faced with unexpected behavioral challenges. It's easier said than done when you're exhausted and testing your patience, though! There's no one-size-fits-all approach, but having some tricks up our sleeves, like token economies or therapeutic interventions, can be a real lifesaver.

I couldn’t agree more! It's so important to have an understanding of trauma and the impact it can have on our little ones - especially as parents/carers, we're often the first port of call when they're struggling and need help regulating their emotions.

Knowing some practical strategies ahead of time - like those mentioned above - really helps, because as you say, it's not always easy to think clearly in the moment! What other tricks have people found helpful when managing unexpected behavioural challenges? It'd be great to pool our resources.

I find it useful to prepare some "go-to" phrases for de-escalation, which I can fall back on when emotions are running high and thinking clearly is difficult.

Phrases like:

- "I'm here for you. We'll get through this together."

- "Tell me what's happening inside; I know it's scary/upsetting - we can deal with it together."

- "It's okay to feel angry/scared. We all feel that way sometimes, but we shouldn't hurt each other or break things. Can we find something to help us calm down instead?"

Also having some sensory toys/items like a squishy stress ball, fidget spinner, or weighted blanket can help distract the child and give them an outlet for their energy.

I've also found success in roleplaying the scenario with the child beforehand - practicing what they might do if X happens, and exploring their thoughts on it. It's almost like a fire drill! So when the situation arises, there's a predetermined plan or idea of what to do which helps to keep everyone safe.

Those are such great suggestions!

I especially like the roleplay idea - it's like a 'practice run' and could help kids process their emotions and learn some valuable problem-solving skills for when the real situation arises.

Having some go-to phrases is a brilliant strategy for keeping calm and providing reassurance, too.

That's a great way to think about it - a 'practice run' Preparation and practice are so important when it comes to fostering an environment of open communication, especially for those challenging conversations. Roleplay can help create those safe spaces for tricky scenarios and give them some experience and confidence in dealing with unfamiliar situations.

The roleplay could also be a fun activity to do together as a family - preparing everyone involved and giving parents/caregivers an opportunity to gauge their children's understanding and anxiety levels surrounding the topic. Plus, it's a great way to spend time together!

That's a great way to think about it - a 'practice run' Preparation and practice are so important when it comes to fostering an environment of open communication, especially for those challenging conversations. Roleplay can help create those safe spaces for tricky scenarios and give them some experience and confidence in dealing with unfamiliar situations.

The roleplay could also be a fun activity to do together as a family - preparing everyone involved and giving parents/caregivers an opportunity to gauge their children's understanding and anxiety levels surrounding the topic. Plus, it's a great way to spend time together!
I suppose making it a fun, interactive activity can help ease some of the tension associated with these serious topics. Having those lighthearted moments together as a family could also work wonders for establishing trust and rapport.

Those lighthearted moments are crucial. It's a great strategy to ease the intensity, especially when having deeper conversations about serious topics. And you're right about how it helps build rapport - it's such an important part of the process, and can really help establish that secure base for the relationship! Do share any fun activities or games that you've found successful; it'd be great to hear your recommendations!

Building rapport through lighthearted moments and shared laughter is such a wonderful strategy! It helps to create those beautiful memories and strengthens the parent-child bond.

One fun activity I've found successful is hosting a weekly " Silly Sunday." We plan fun, goofy activities like having water pistol fights, playing twister, or setting up a mini-golf course in the backyard. Everything has to be silly and lighthearted - it's a great way to ease stress and have some fun.

We also love board games but with a twist: we create our own wacky characters with crazy superpowers! For example, my daughter created "Sparkle Sunshine" whose power was to make everyone laugh uncontrollably whenever she sneezed (she's allergic to laughter!). Each round has a different ridiculous power and it's so much fun coming up with them together.

These lighthearted shenanigans help us connect, and the kids love the unpredictability and absurdity of it all - it's memorable and builds such positive rapport!

Those lighthearted moments are crucial. It's a great strategy to ease the intensity, especially when having deeper conversations about serious topics. And you're right about how it helps build rapport - it's such an important part of the process, and can really help establish that secure base for the relationship! Do share any fun activities or games that you've found successful; it'd be great to hear your recommendations!
We love playing "Family Charades"! It's such a simple game, but a great icebreaker and a good way to encourage creative thinking. We write down scenarios or challenges on pieces of paper, which could range from pretending to be animals or acting out daily routines with a fun twist like "what would your superpower be in the morning when rushing off to school."

It's amazing to see how creative and resourceful my kids can be! Their imaginations run wild, and it becomes such a fun and silly family activity where we laugh together. These moments help build our relationship, and I'm sure they'll remember these silly times too when they're older. It's these shared experiences that create those special memories, and also offer an opportunity to connect on a deeper level through the fun and laughter!

We love playing "Family Charades"! It's such a simple game, but a great icebreaker and a good way to encourage creative thinking. We write down scenarios or challenges on pieces of paper, which could range from pretending to be animals or acting out daily routines with a fun twist like "what would your superpower be in the morning when rushing off to school."

It's amazing to see how creative and resourceful my kids can be! Their imaginations run wild, and it becomes such a fun and silly family activity where we laugh together. These moments help build our relationship, and I'm sure they'll remember these silly times too when they're older. It's these shared experiences that create those special memories, and also offer an opportunity to connect on a deeper level through the fun and laughter!
Simple yet meaningful - I love it! Charades is such a versatile game with endless possibilities, perfect for some family fun and quality time together. Those little moments sure do add up and create those precious childhood memories. The superpower idea adds a nice twist to it too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu