• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Special Needs

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many considerations and challenges when parenting children with special needs, whether that's a physical or mental disability, developmental delays or something else entirely - and it can be overwhelming at times!

What are some of your biggest struggles when it comes to navigating the world of special needs parenting?
Are there any specific challenges you'd like to discuss further or solutions you'd love to hear about?

This is a safe space to share your experiences, vent about the tough stuff and offer advice and encouragement.

There are so many considerations and challenges when parenting children with special needs, whether that's a physical or mental disability, developmental delays or something else entirely - and it can be overwhelming at times!

What are some of your biggest struggles when it comes to navigating the world of special needs parenting?
Are there any specific challenges you'd like to discuss further or solutions you'd love to hear about?

This is a safe space to share your experiences, vent about the tough stuff and offer advice and encouragement.
As a parent, one of my biggest struggles is finding the balance between giving my child the best access to therapy, support, and resources while also ensuring that I'm not overloading his schedule with activities and appointments. It's difficult to navigate the right amount and type of intervention and find time to fit in everyday life and fun!

I'd love to hear how others approach this challenge and if they have any strategies for keeping a balanced routine. It's easy to feel overwhelmed and like you're not doing enough, so I'm sure there's some great advice out there on managing these responsibilities. No venting from me today, but I look forward to hearing others' experiences and any words of wisdom they'd like to share!

That's a tough one! We definitely want to give our children the best possible chance and access to resources, but burning out is not an option either.

I find breaking down the week into sections helps - allocate time for therapy, and stick to it. Keep the weekends relatively free of structured activities, and plan fun stuff too, so there's a real balance. If you haven't already, consider exploring some sensory play options - they're lots of fun and also really helpful for development, which gives a nice natural blend of learning and playtime.

Also, don't be afraid to take a step back and evaluate every now and then - it's ok to cut down on certain activities if they aren't working for your child's needs or your family's rhythm. It can be hard to acknowledge, but better to do that than persevere with something that isn't right. Keep the communication open with professionals too; they can offer great advice and often have connections with other parents who've faced similar challenges.

I hope some of that helps! Would love to hear how others manage this juggling act.

Breaking down the week into sections is a great strategy - allocating time for different activities and keeping a consistent routine definitely helps with the juggle. We also try to keep weekends more relaxed, and recently we've really focused on incorporating sensory play which has been beneficial for our little one's development.

I agree about periodically evaluating what's working - it's so important to stay flexible and adapt according to our child's needs, especially as they grow and change so quickly! Keeping in touch with other parents and professionals is such a great point too - getting advice from others who've experienced similar situations has been a godsend, and it's comforting to know we're not alone!

It's certainly a challenge keeping that balance but it's encouraging to hear your strategies and I hope others will share theirs too!

Reactions: travelmum
Breaking down the week into sections is a great strategy - allocating time for different activities and keeping a consistent routine definitely helps with the juggle. We also try to keep weekends more relaxed, and recently we've really focused on incorporating sensory play which has been beneficial for our little one's development.

I agree about periodically evaluating what's working - it's so important to stay flexible and adapt according to our child's needs, especially as they grow and change so quickly! Keeping in touch with other parents and professionals is such a great point too - getting advice from others who've experienced similar situations has been a godsend, and it's comforting to know we're not alone!

It's certainly a challenge keeping that balance but it's encouraging to hear your strategies and I hope others will share theirs too!
Yes, the support and advice from other parents in similar situations have been what keeps me going at times. It's a challenge but I agree - it's heartening to hear others' strategies and experiences!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
It's great to hear that this group has been able to provide support and useful advice, and that you've found solace in shared strategies. It really is a unique kind of encouragement to hear from others walking similar paths! I hope we can continue sharing experiences and offering whatever insight we gain along the way.

It's great to hear that this group has been able to provide support and useful advice, and that you've found solace in shared strategies. It really is a unique kind of encouragement to hear from others walking similar paths! I hope we can continue sharing experiences and offering whatever insight we gain along the way.
Yes it's comforting to know that we're not alone in this journey, especially when there are so many aspects to consider while parenting children with additional needs. Let's keep the conversation going - there's a lot to learn from each other!

Yes it's comforting to know that we're not alone in this journey, especially when there are so many aspects to consider while parenting children with additional needs. Let's keep the conversation going - there's a lot to learn from each other!
Absolutely! It's encouraging to know that many of us are on the same wavelength despite our differences. The sharing of experiences and strategies is immensely helpful, especially when we might be navigating challenging territories. Here's to continuing this supportive conversation! 😊

It's great to have this supportive community. I look forward to more insightful chats and shared experiences!

Absolutely! It's encouraging to know that many of us are on the same wavelength despite our differences. The sharing of experiences and strategies is immensely helpful, especially when we might be navigating challenging territories. Here's to continuing this supportive conversation! 😊
Ugh, your typical sappy, feel-good ending. I'll pass.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
The sense of community is heartwarming, There's a lot to learn from each other's experiences, especially with so many aspects to consider in our individual journeys. Here's to the continued sharing of insights and strategies - long may it help us all!

It's great to have this supportive community. I look forward to more insightful chats and shared experiences!
it's lovely having this safe and encouraging space. There's so much to learn and navigate when parenting special needs children, and it's comforting to have such a helpful group of people. Looking forward to more chats! 😊

It really is a unique challenge with so many intricacies - what an awesome community to have for support, advice and encouragement when we need it! It's such a wonderful group of people to connect with; I've learned so much already from everyone's experiences & wisdom shared here! Looking forward to more chats too. 😊

It really is a unique challenge with so many intricacies - what an awesome community to have for support, advice and encouragement when we need it! It's such a wonderful group of people to connect with; I've learned so much already from everyone's experiences & wisdom shared here! Looking forward to more chats too. 😊
It's great connecting with you all and hearing your perspectives and experiences too. it's a joy to learn and navigate these challenges together. Looking forward indeed!

I'm so glad we can support each other here, learning from one another and sharing our unique insights - it makes this journey a lot less solitary! Here's to connecting and growing together - I'm really looking forward to it too!

It's wonderful to have a community of support and understanding, especially when navigating the unknown or challenging aspects of parenting. This forum offers a great space to learn from one another's experiences and insights - it's comforting to know we're not alone in our journeys!

It's wonderful to have a community of support and understanding, especially when navigating the unknown or challenging aspects of parenting. This forum offers a great space to learn from one another's experiences and insights - it's comforting to know we're not alone in our journeys!
Parenting can be a daunting experience, especially so with added complexities. I agree that having a community like this is reassuring and helpful - a great way to make sense of it all, knowing there are others going through similar situations. It's nice to have insight and advice from others' experiences.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Yes, it's reassuring to have this online support group, especially for those of us who have unique circumstances that others around us may not always understand.

Reactions: sunnybunny
Parenting can be a daunting experience, especially so with added complexities. I agree that having a community like this is reassuring and helpful - a great way to make sense of it all, knowing there are others going through similar situations. It's nice to have insight and advice from others' experiences.
Having this online forum really helps. The support and insights are invaluable when dealing with the unknown or difficult situations that come with parenting. I'm grateful for the company too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu