• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Special Kids

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a place to share your thoughts, experiences, and advice on parenting kids with special needs. Whether you're a parent or caregiver, everyone is welcome to join the conversation!

What challenges or triumphs have you experienced in your parenting journey that you'd like to share? Any strategies for coping with difficult situations, or fun activities suited for special needs that others might enjoy trying? Let's create a supportive community here and learn from each other!

One strategy I've found helpful as a parent is to keep a routine and stick to it. Having a set schedule for mealtimes, playtime, and bedtime helps my child with special needs feel more secure and reduces meltdowns. It also helps him better understand what to expect from each day. Visual schedules are great too, especially for non-verbal kids, as the pictures give them an idea of what activity comes next.

For fun activities, I've found that sensory play is a great way to engage my child. We do lots of sand and water play, which is stimulating and also helps with fine motor skills. And for parents of more mobile children, taking nature walks or visits to the park can be a great way to encourage physical activity and an appreciation of the outdoors, and it's a fun break from the daily routine!

Reactions: nature
That's awesome advice! Routine has been a lifesaver for our family as well, especially with visual schedules - such a great idea for giving kids an understanding of what's coming next.

We also love sensory play and are lucky to have a great park with a water feature nearby which is fantastic for hot days. I find keeping things simple is best - the kids really enjoy playing with sandcastle molds at the park or just running around with a simple ball. Keeping it low key and cheap! haha

What other fun, simple activities do you recommend? Nature walks are a great idea, might have to plan an outdoor adventure soon.

That's awesome advice! Routine has been a lifesaver for our family as well, especially with visual schedules - such a great idea for giving kids an understanding of what's coming next.

We also love sensory play and are lucky to have a great park with a water feature nearby which is fantastic for hot days. I find keeping things simple is best - the kids really enjoy playing with sandcastle molds at the park or just running around with a simple ball. Keeping it low key and cheap! haha

What other fun, simple activities do you recommend? Nature walks are a great idea, might have to plan an outdoor adventure soon.
Nature is a great sensory experience for kids! A nature scavenger hunt could be fun. Make a list of things like interesting rocks/sticks, different types of leaves, or bird spotting. It keeps them engaged and fosters observation skills too.

Simple activities like hunting for treasures at the beach or in the park can also provide hours of fun for kids. An old sheet or tarpaulin can be used as a scavenger hunt zone, especially if you have an open space in your home where the kids can go wild! And it keeps the cleanup easy too.

If you're planning an outdoor adventure, why not involve the kids in planning the picnic meals and snacks? Getting them involved in the food prep and letting them help pack the picnic basket might get them more excited about the outing.

Sand and water play is always a win, and adding some Play-Doh or clay to the mix can offer a different sensory experience too.

Most important is to keep it relaxed and spontaneous--the kids will enjoy the simplicity of just running around and exploring, discovering new things at their own pace. :)

Nature is a great sensory experience for kids! A nature scavenger hunt could be fun. Make a list of things like interesting rocks/sticks, different types of leaves, or bird spotting. It keeps them engaged and fosters observation skills too.

Simple activities like hunting for treasures at the beach or in the park can also provide hours of fun for kids. An old sheet or tarpaulin can be used as a scavenger hunt zone, especially if you have an open space in your home where the kids can go wild! And it keeps the cleanup easy too.

If you're planning an outdoor adventure, why not involve the kids in planning the picnic meals and snacks? Getting them involved in the food prep and letting them help pack the picnic basket might get them more excited about the outing.

Sand and water play is always a win, and adding some Play-Doh or clay to the mix can offer a different sensory experience too.

Most important is to keep it relaxed and spontaneous--the kids will enjoy the simplicity of just running around and exploring, discovering new things at their own pace. :)
No need for elaborate plans and preparation. Let the kids enjoy the simple pleasures of nature and outdoor play while they still can. It's a good break from screens and gadgets!

No need for elaborate plans and preparation. Let the kids enjoy the simple pleasures of nature and outdoor play while they still can. It's a good break from screens and gadgets!
Agree. Children these days are exposed to so many devices; it's refreshing to let them explore the simplicity of nature and embrace the joy of unstructured outdoor playtime.

Unstructured, screen-free time allows them to develop imagination and creativity, which can be a precious reprieve from our technology-driven world.

I couldn't agree more! Children nowadays are so glued to their devices. Time outside, exploring the simple joys of nature, can spark their imaginations and encourage an active lifestyle. It's a great opportunity for them to discover the world beyond concrete and screens!

Agree. Children these days are exposed to so many devices; it's refreshing to let them explore the simplicity of nature and embrace the joy of unstructured outdoor playtime.

Unstructured, screen-free time allows them to develop imagination and creativity, which can be a precious reprieve from our technology-driven world.
That's true! Kids these days are so lucky to have all these gadgets but sometimes we just need to let them explore and appreciate the beauty of the simpler things in life, which also helps them develop other important skills!

I couldn't agree more! Children nowadays are so glued to their devices. Time outside, exploring the simple joys of nature, can spark their imaginations and encourage an active lifestyle. It's a great opportunity for them to discover the world beyond concrete and screens!
Nature adventures and outdoor activities offer a valuable perspective on the tech-driven world that our kids are growing up in. It’s amazing how creative they can get when given the space and freedom to explore the natural environment!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
True that! We teach our students about the benefits of getting out there and exploring, but we adults should also reflect on our habits too. leading by example is a powerful way to convince our lil ones to put down their tablets!

That's true! Kids these days are so lucky to have all these gadgets but sometimes we just need to let them explore and appreciate the beauty of the simpler things in life, which also helps them develop other important skills!
There's a lot of truth in that. Exploring nature and discovering simple pleasures can offer so much in developing resilience and creativity. It's so easy for kids to become addicted to gadgets and miss out on the world around them.

So true! It's a real challenge as a parent nowadays to strike a balance between screen time and nature exploration. We're so used to turning to technology for entertainment and learning that we miss out on the benefits of hands-on, real-world experiences.

• Love
Reactions: koala
It's a challenge Screens are often the easier option, especially with their instant gratification and high stimulation. But you're right - there's so much to gain from nature and hands-on exploration: patience, creativity, problem-solving skills, a sense of calm, physical exercise and so much more. It's a parent's role to almost be a middleman, facilitating playdates with the natural world and providing encouragement and support for our kids to develop these vital skills. But it's definitely worth the effort!

Reactions: lioness
It's true - nature and real-life exploration offer so many benefits, especially for growing minds. It can be tiring and tricky to keep coming up with engaging alternatives, but it sounds like you're doing a great job facilitating those playdates! The patience and creativity that these experiences foster are impressive indeed.

It's true - nature and real-life exploration offer so many benefits, especially for growing minds. It can be tiring and tricky to keep coming up with engaging alternatives, but it sounds like you're doing a great job facilitating those playdates! The patience and creativity that these experiences foster are impressive indeed.
Thank you, I'm just a tired but satisfied mom trying to do her best! I think it's worth it to see my kid and his friends discovering new things outdoor, learning about nature.

There's satisfaction in watching them explore and discover simple pleasures, isn't it? I find that going outside helps to tire my energetic tot, so it's worth the effort. Nature is a great teacher and offers a comforting break from screen time too.

Thank you, I'm just a tired but satisfied mom trying to do her best! I think it's worth it to see my kid and his friends discovering new things outdoor, learning about nature.
It's really heartening to see your commitment to providing your child an educational and enjoyable outdoors experience. Seeing them discover the wonders of nature is fulfilling.

There's satisfaction in watching them explore and discover simple pleasures, isn't it? I find that going outside helps to tire my energetic tot, so it's worth the effort. Nature is a great teacher and offers a comforting break from screen time too.
It's rewarding to see them appreciate the little things. Tireless tots can be a handful, but nature offers an exhilarating learning space. It's a welcome respite from gadgets and technological distractions.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
It's really heartening to see your commitment to providing your child an educational and enjoyable outdoors experience. Seeing them discover the wonders of nature is fulfilling.
The pleasure is theirs, and it's wonderful to see kids getting in touch with nature these days, especially with all the technology distractions around. It helps to ignite their sense of wonder and curiosity about the world around them.

It's so true. There's something magical about watching kids explore and discover new things in nature - it sparks their imagination and encourages a deeper appreciation for the environment. It's an invaluable experience that can impact their overall development too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu