• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Solo

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a solo parent can be challenging and rewarding all at once. Anyone who's doing it alone will likely have experiences to share, advice to give, or questions they'd like to ask others in a similar situation.

Whether you're an experienced solo parent or considering flying solo, this thread is for sharing the ups and downs of parenting without a co-parent. What challenges have you faced as a solo parent? How do you manage your workload and parental responsibilities? And most importantly, what strategies or tips do you have for other parents navigating the same journey?

Let's create a space to support one another and share our stories!

Reactions: bubblyfish
As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges has been managing illnesses and emergencies without a backup caregiver. When your kid is sick and you're on your own, it can be daunting.

My strategy for this situation has been to create a network of support beforehand - reliable babysitters, family members, or neighbors who can step in when needed. Having a list of go-to people who are willing to lend a hand takes the edge off the panic in emergency situations.

Another challenge is managing alone the emotional and physical toll of parenting. Self-care becomes crucial here, and making time for yourself can help prevent burnout. Setting aside dedicated me-time might seem impossible, but even small acts of self-care like a long bath or a walk can make a difference mentally.

An important tip I'd give other solo parents is to embrace flexibility. There will be days when everything goes sideways, and you have to roll with the punches. Give yourself permission to deviate from your usual routines and schedules when needed; it's okay to prioritize what works best for you and your child on any given day.

Lastly, celebrate the wins, big and small! Acknowledge and appreciate the achievements and positive moments - they are a reminder of your strength and resilience as a solo parent. Whether it's nailing a complicated family logistics day or simply surviving a fussy evening, give yourself a mental high-five because you've got this!

I'd love to hear other parents' thoughts and experiences too!

Great insights! I can relate to all of this, especially the challenge of managing illnesses and emergencies. Having a solid support network is so crucial, as you never know when you might need a helping hand.

I also agree with your tip on embracing flexibility - it's a key survival skill! Some days will be chaotic, and deviating from the plan is sometimes necessary.

The self-care aspect is one I'm still working on. It's easy to neglect yourself when you're focused on the kids, but taking some time out can help avoid that burnout you mentioned.

It's also a good idea to celebrate the wins; it keeps your mindset positive and reminds you that you're doing a great job! High five indeed!

As a solo parent, one of the scariest things is managing sickness and emergencies. Having a reliable backup system of babysitters or family friends who can help out in a pinch is a must. You never know when you might need someone to step in, so having that list is reassuring.

Another challenge is looking after yourself while parenting solo. It's hard but trying to set aside some me-time is crucial; we're not talking spa days , just little things like a long shower or going for a walk can help mentally. You gotta look after yourself to stay strong for your little one.

My biggest tip would be to go with the flow. Some days everything goes wrong, and you just have to laugh it off and keep rolling. Don't beat yourself up about breaking from routine - sometimes that's exactly what you and the little one needs.

And yup, celebrate the wins, no matter how small! Acknowledge those moments, because they're a reminder of your badassery as a solo parent.

As a solo parent, one of the scariest things is managing sickness and emergencies. Having a reliable backup system of babysitters or family friends who can help out in a pinch is a must. You never know when you might need someone to step in, so having that list is reassuring.

Another challenge is looking after yourself while parenting solo. It's hard but trying to set aside some me-time is crucial; we're not talking spa days , just little things like a long shower or going for a walk can help mentally. You gotta look after yourself to stay strong for your little one.

My biggest tip would be to go with the flow. Some days everything goes wrong, and you just have to laugh it off and keep rolling. Don't beat yourself up about breaking from routine - sometimes that's exactly what you and the little one needs.

And yup, celebrate the wins, no matter how small! Acknowledge those moments, because they're a reminder of your badassery as a solo parent.
True that! Managing emergencies and having a reliable backup system is a huge part of solo parenting. Rolling with the punches and accepting that routines might sometimes go out the window is a great mindset to have. And yes, those little wins are worth celebrating - they keep us going!

What other challenges have people faced that they'd like tips for? Having some time for yourself is super important too - any ideas how best to carve out some me-time when you're solo parenting?

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
It's definitely a juggle managing work and parenting alone! But over the years, I've found some hacks that help keep things afloat .

One thing I do is stock up on easy-prep meals for those days when I'm too tired to cook - think frozen dinners, instant noodles, canned soups. Not the healthiest but they're lifesavers when you're too beat and the last thing you feel like doing is spending more time in the kitchen! Also, keeping a checklist for groceries and household essentials to ensure I don't forget anything during my weekly stock-up run.

Another hack's setting aside dedicated playtime with the kids - sometimes it's easy to get caught up with work or house chores and forget to actually connect and bond with our little ones. So having that reminder to put away my phone and just focus on building Lego castles or colouring keeps me present and aware of the fun sides of solo parenting.

And when all else fails, I call in the reinforcements aka my mom! Every parent could use a helping hand sometimes, so don't hesitate to ask your folks or friends for help - whether it's picking up the kids from school or just having someone to chat with while you finish up some work. We're all in this together and it takes a village to raise these little humans!

As a solo parent, it's quite common to feel like you're juggling a thousand things at once! Managing work and parental responsibilities can be a real headache, and that's why it's always good to have a community to fall back on for help and support.

One of the biggest challenges is probably finding the energy to do it all - no rest days, no tag-teaming, parents gotta keep going like a endurance runner! But then again, there's also the satisfaction of seeing your little one grow up healthy and happy, which makes it all worthwhile. You just gotta keep reminding yourself that you're doing an amazing job!

For me, finding a good support network has been super helpful. Grandparents, aunties and uncles can be a huge help, and getting some help around the house or with childcare once in a while doesn't hurt - gives you a chance to catch your breath too! Also, don't be shy to ask other parents for advice or help, or even just to vent. Most people are willing to lend a hand or listen, and it takes a village to raise a child after all!

Solo parenting can be a tough gig, but with the right people around you, you'll be amazed at how manageable and fulfilling it can be. Share your stories, mums and dads - it's good to know there are others out there going through similar experiences!

Reactions: mamamia
I'm solo parenting most of the time too! It's really a juggle managing work and tending to the little one's needs. Luckily, my parents are around to help out sometimes, and I think that's the key - having some backup support, even if it's just for an occasional babysitting session so you can take some time to recharge is super important.

I also rely a lot on my parent gang - other moms and dads in the neighborhood who I can call on for help or just to share experiences and tips. There have been many times when I've needed someone to clarify something kids-related, and it's nice to have a group of people going through the same things. We also take turns organizing playdates, which helps keep things fun for the kids and provides some variety for them too.

I think one of the hardest bits is managing sickness - when your kid is unwell and you're trying to balance work and caring for them. That's when I really feel the strain of doing it alone. But you make do, and you'd be surprised at how resourceful you can be in these situations!

I think the key is just to stay positive, keep an open mind, and know that this phase will also pass.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu