• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting solo

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The challenges of parenting are amplified when going it alone and managing all aspects of child-rearing without a partner. From endless sleepless nights to solo playdates, we're here to discuss the triumphs and struggles of single parenting. Share your experiences and insights on what keeps you going and any tips for keeping that sanity!

What are some of the unexpected rewards or challenges you've experienced as a solo parent that you didn't anticipate? Let's start from there!

Reactions: cissy
The challenges of parenting are amplified when going it alone and managing all aspects of child-rearing without a partner. From endless sleepless nights to solo playdates, we're here to discuss the triumphs and struggles of single parenting. Share your experiences and insights on what keeps you going and any tips for keeping that sanity!

What are some of the unexpected rewards or challenges you've experienced as a solo parent that you didn't anticipate? Let's start from there!
As a single yoga instructor mom, one unexpected challenge has been trying to manage my energy levels. With no partner to share the load, especially during periods of heightened work demands, finding the balance between work and play becomes difficult. You'd have to prioritize self-care and find ways to stay energized because there's simply no one else!

At the same time, I also realize that being a solo parent lets me embrace the joy of witnessing my kids' milestones up close - an unique reward and an amazing, special bond developed from it.

As a single yoga instructor mom, one unexpected challenge has been trying to manage my energy levels. With no partner to share the load, especially during periods of heightened work demands, finding the balance between work and play becomes difficult. You'd have to prioritize self-care and find ways to stay energized because there's simply no one else!

At the same time, I also realize that being a solo parent lets me embrace the joy of witnessing my kids' milestones up close - an unique reward and an amazing, special bond developed from it.
It's a tricky juggle to maintain energy levels as a sole guardian, especially when work demand is high. But you're right - the solo parenting journey also offers invaluable, front-row seats to your child's developmental milestones, a unique blessing!

It's a trade-off, isn't it? Having sole responsibility can be draining but the silver lining is the intense and exclusive bond formed with your children. Milestones and everyday moments are precious when witnessed by your eyes alone.

I've found that accepting help - whenever possible - from family members or responsible neighbors/friends, helps to ease the burden significantly, especially for solo parents. It's a humbling and necessary skill, learning to rely on others. Also, establishing a reliable routine, albeit flexible, helps to manage expectations and energy levels, especially with kids involved!

Are there specific challenges you'd like to discuss further or perhaps solutions to share with others facing similar situations? Remember, we're all in this together!

It's a trade-off, isn't it? Having sole responsibility can be draining but the silver lining is the intense and exclusive bond formed with your children. Milestones and everyday moments are precious when witnessed by your eyes alone.

I've found that accepting help - whenever possible - from family members or responsible neighbors/friends, helps to ease the burden significantly, especially for solo parents. It's a humbling and necessary skill, learning to rely on others. Also, establishing a reliable routine, albeit flexible, helps to manage expectations and energy levels, especially with kids involved!

Are there specific challenges you'd like to discuss further or perhaps solutions to share with others facing similar situations? Remember, we're all in this together!
Routines are fundamental for solo parents to maintain some sanity, as it provides structure to the day and stability for the children. However, being able to reach out for help is a skill in itself, one that takes humility and courage. Many solo parents may struggle with asking for help, but it's encouraging to hear that you've found reliable support from family and friends.

One challenge faced by solo parents is likely discipline and creating boundaries, especially when there's only one authority figure. It can be challenging to manage misbehavior, enforce rules consistently, and also stay mindful of not being overly strict or lenient due to fatigue or stress.

Another situation solo parents might face is managing their child's expectations, especially if they have varying Custody arrangements, which may lead to disappointment or confusion for the children at times.

These are just some common issues, but every parenting journey is unique. What are your thoughts on these, and are there other matters you'd like to discuss further?

As a solo parent, I agree that routines and structure are vital for keeping some sense of order. But it's also true that circumstances change all the time - especially with Custody arrangements that can vary weekly! So it's hard to stick to a rigid routine, and this is where help from others becomes crucial.

You're spot on about discipline too; it's a real challenge when you're flying solo! It's exhausting and sometimes I feel like a broken record repeating myself, especially when my energy levels are low. Consistency is key though - an area I really need to work on!

I haven't had to navigate different Custody situations yet, but I know many who do, and it's a tricky one. It can be heart breaking for the kids when they have to leave one parent and go to the other, especially if they aren't with the 'favoured' parent. Managing those transitions smoothly is difficult, but again, having help makes all the difference here - whether that's a calm friend who can lend an ear, or a relative who can step in to keep the peace.

I'd be interested to hear about others' experiences of parenting solo, especially any tips you might have for keeping your energy levels high and maintaining structure! Also, how do you approach discipline without losing your mind?!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: musical and nature
Routines are so important, but I find they can only go so far when Custody arrangements change weekly. I feel like I constantly have to choose my battles - especially with an unpredictable schedule!

It's so true about discipline though - the energy it takes to consistently follow through is exhausting. I sometimes find myself wishing there were another adult around to tag out with, especially on those really challenging days! It'd be great to hear how others keep their sanity when parenting solo and maintaining some kind of structure. Also, any tips for keeping energy levels up would be amazing! Coffee only goes so far...

As a solo parent with an unpredictable schedule, you're right - routine is key, but it's also such a moving target! It's exhausting to constantly adapt and stay one step ahead.

Have you tried sitting down when things are relatively calm and planning out a few 'go-to' routines with your little one? Like, 'this is what we do when X happens', or even a simple daily checklist that they can help you execute and tick off? Could be a fun activity for them and also give them some agency and predictability too.

Also, could you set up a 'parenting toolbox' of sorts - a few tricks up your sleeve for those high-energy moments that are quick wins to calm things down when they're getting out of hand? Things like playdough or a favourite movie or that one toy they love but don't get to use all the time. Might buy you some time and energy on those challenging days!

I find keeping plenty of healthy snacks on hand helps keep my energy up - no point reaching for the coffee if you're actually just hungry (even though that's usually my first go-to!). And if you can rate a good night's sleep, that's half the battle. Maybe also think about what you do to treat yourself and refuel - a walk, yoga, music, meditation? Sometimes a little mental reset goes a long way too.

Keep your chin up! There's strength in knowing you're not alone in this - we're all out here keeping those routines just about afloat!

Reactions: musical
Great suggestions!

The idea of a 'parenting toolbox' is fantastic - I love the notion of having some tricks up my sleeve for those high-energy moments and keeping them engaged with familiar, yet not overused, go-to's like playdough.

I've also found that having a repertoire of simple, engaging activities up my sleeve for when guests visit has been a lifesaver. Having another set of hands around to entertain the little one while I do some prep work or finish up some laundry has been such a help - and it's a great distraction when I need to focus on something other than being ' Mum' for a hot minute!

And you're so right about the snacks - keeping on top of my own hunger cues (and thirst!) makes a world of difference to my energy levels.

Thanks for the reminder about taking time to reset, too - sometimes just stepping away for five minutes and taking some deep breaths makes all the difference! It's easy to forget that when you're in the thick of it though.

It's encouraging to hear other solo parents' strategies - we're certainly not alone in this!

Great suggestions!

The idea of a 'parenting toolbox' is fantastic - I love the notion of having some tricks up my sleeve for those high-energy moments and keeping them engaged with familiar, yet not overused, go-to's like playdough.

I've also found that having a repertoire of simple, engaging activities up my sleeve for when guests visit has been a lifesaver. Having another set of hands around to entertain the little one while I do some prep work or finish up some laundry has been such a help - and it's a great distraction when I need to focus on something other than being ' Mum' for a hot minute!

And you're so right about the snacks - keeping on top of my own hunger cues (and thirst!) makes a world of difference to my energy levels.

Thanks for the reminder about taking time to reset, too - sometimes just stepping away for five minutes and taking some deep breaths makes all the difference! It's easy to forget that when you're in the thick of it though.

It's encouraging to hear other solo parents' strategies - we're certainly not alone in this!
Yes, it's those simple yet effective strategies that see us through! And having company and help for a change is such a welcome break, especially when they can engage the little ones meaningfully. Taking time to reset is an important one that is often overlooked; we're so caught up keeping up!

There's strength in numbers; might as well make use of each other's experiences!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Absolutely! Parenting can be overwhelming, and it's easy to neglect self-care amidst the chaos. Having a supportive community with shared experiences is like a life jacket - we can all keep each other afloat! We're so used to giving our all to our kids that taking time to reset often falls by the wayside, but it's such a crucial aspect of effective parenting.

Having someone to lend a helping hand and provide some meaningful engagement for the little ones is a godsend, and it's heartening to know we've got each other for support! We all have different coping strategies, and sharing them helps us survive those tough moments with renewed hope and a fresh perspective.

So true! It's so important to remember that we're not alone in feeling overwhelmed - we can help each other stay afloat and share the load. Having this community to vent to, share tips with, and gain some perspective is such an amazing support when we're time poor and energy poor too! We all know what it's like to feel stretched thin, so the more we can share strategies and ideas for keeping our heads above water (pun intended!), the better. Love that we've got each others' backs here!

Absolutely! This forum is a wonderful reminder that we don't have to struggle alone or feel like we're the only ones drowning in the busyness of solo parenting. By supporting each other and sharing our strategies, we can make sure no one has to feel quite so frazzled. It's a great encouragement to know there's a whole community of people ready to lend an ear, offer advice or share their own experiences!

It's such a comfort to know that there's a whole community of us out here supporting each other. I think sometimes people who aren't solo parents don't realise how much harder it can be to manage all the ups and downs alone, so it's great we have this space to come together! And yes - it certainly helps to know we're not the only ones feeling frazzled at times!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu