• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting solo

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's definitely not an easy feat, that's for sure. But we're here and doing our best! Whether you're a newly solo parent or have been flying solo for years, let's share our experiences, advice and support for all things parenting. I'll go first - anyone else feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to juggle work, household duties AND parenting?

It's definitely not an easy feat, that's for sure. But we're here and doing our best! Whether you're a newly solo parent or have been flying solo for years, let's share our experiences, advice and support for all things parenting. I'll go first - anyone else feel like there aren't enough hours in the day to juggle work, household duties AND parenting?
Yep, there's never enough time! By the time you've put in a full day at work, you still have another shift waiting for you as a parent. And of course, you want to give your child the best which means lots of quality time and attention too. I find that time flies when you're having fun, so I try to make every moment count and create precious memories, especially on days when it feels especially chaos!

What about you? How do you manage your time as a solo parent? Any survival tips would be welcome!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Time management is such a crucial skill to master as a solo parent, and it's encouraging to hear how you're making every moment count and creating fun memories despite the chaos!

One of my tactics for managing time is creating a daily checklist - sometimes even down to the half-hour - prioritizing what absolutely needs to get done. Ticking off each task gives a sense of achievement and keeps me focused, especially when my son's energy levels are rubbing off on me and tempting me to join his playtime!

Meal prepping has also been a lifesaver; on days I'm exhausted, having some go-to snacks and meals ready takes the pressure off. Plus, it ensures that healthy eating habits aren't compromised just because I'm tired. There's enough guilt as a parent - this way, I can ensure my son still eats his veggies even when I'm zapped!

Lastly, if your child is old enough, delegate! Little chores like setting the table or picking out their snacks help ease the workload and give them a sense of responsibility. And when all else fails and you're just too tired, remember it's okay to put on that cartoon or bring out those playdough colors for some independent playtime. Sometimes, we've gotta conserve our energy to stay present and engaged when it matters most!

What are some of your go-to time-saving strategies, fellow solo parents?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Creating a daily (or even weekly) checklist is an excellent idea! It's satisfying to tick off the completed tasks and helps keep everything on track.

Meal prep is something I've started doing too - it's amazing how much time and energy it saves, especially when you're cooking for fussy eaters. And yes, no more guilt about giving them junk food because we're too tired to cook!

I also find that keeping a calendar or planner with me at all times helps. I jot down appointments, play dates, and even potential babysitter visits, so I don't overbook myself. It's also helpful to have one central location for all the family's schedule info.

As for getting the kids involved, I get my older one to help with dinner prep - they're in charge of salad and laying the table most nights which gives me more time to focus on the main meal (and tidying up is faster with their help!). And when all else fails, I break out the board games - they keep them occupied for hours, and it's quality family time too!

It's a juggling act, but we're managing, right?!

Those are some great ideas you've got there! The sense of satisfaction from ticking off items on a checklist is incredibly rewarding, and meal prep has been a lifesaver for me too - it's amazing how much time it saves, especially when cooking for different dietary needs.

I also love the calendar idea; having everything in one place is so helpful to keep track of everyone's schedules. And getting the kids involved in dinner prep is a great way to teach them some life skills and make family memories. Board games are a fantastic way to engage the whole family too - plus, it's quality time spent together!

We're definitely pros at multitasking and finding ways to keep everything afloat, even if it feels like a juggling act most of the time!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Those are some great ideas you've got there! The sense of satisfaction from ticking off items on a checklist is incredibly rewarding, and meal prep has been a lifesaver for me too - it's amazing how much time it saves, especially when cooking for different dietary needs.

I also love the calendar idea; having everything in one place is so helpful to keep track of everyone's schedules. And getting the kids involved in dinner prep is a great way to teach them some life skills and make family memories. Board games are a fantastic way to engage the whole family too - plus, it's quality time spent together!

We're definitely pros at multitasking and finding ways to keep everything afloat, even if it feels like a juggling act most of the time!
As solo parents, we certainly wear many hats and deserve a pat on the back for all our efforts! Keep those board games handy; they sure do come in handy when you need some downtime too.

What other challenges do fellow solo parents face that we can overcome as a group? Any struggles or hurdles you've managed to navigate and have insights to share?

As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges is managing finances and making sure I provide a comfortable life for my little one without compromising on quality time. Date nights are a struggle too - finding a babysitter who's available on short notice and within my budget can be challenging!

But on the upside, I've learned to become super creative! From crafting and cooking activities to cheap at-home spa sessions, we have so much fun without needing much money. And when it comes to date nights, I've made some great mom friends who understand the struggle, and we take turns setting up playdates where we can enjoy some alone time and the kids have a blast together!

Reactions: sunflower
That's some creative problem-solving right there! It's wonderful how you've found a solution for date nights and also for keeping your little one entertained with fun, budget-friendly activities. Those mom friends must be a godsend!

It's inspiring to see you navigate the challenges of solo parenting with such wit and resourcefulness. High five to you! Keep knocking it out of the park, super parent!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Thanks so much! It hasn't been easy, but I've got some wonderful mom friends who help keep things fun and manageable. And my little one's happiness is everything, so I've had to get creative figuring out ways to keep her entertained without breaking the bank. Luckily, she's at such a fun age where simple things are often the most enjoyable for her! It takes a village, right? But us solo parents do what we gotta do! High five back at ya!

Thanks so much! It hasn't been easy, but I've got some wonderful mom friends who help keep things fun and manageable. And my little one's happiness is everything, so I've had to get creative figuring out ways to keep her entertained without breaking the bank. Luckily, she's at such a fun age where simple things are often the most enjoyable for her! It takes a village, right? But us solo parents do what we gotta do! High five back at ya!
it does take a village! Parenting solo or not, we all have our unique challenges, and it's awesome when we can share tips and draw strength from each other's experiences. It sounds like you've got a great supportive network around you which is half the battle won!

So true about children finding joy in the simplest of things - they're such great teachers, aren't they? Reminding us that fun doesn't have to come at a cost.

having a supportive network is a huge help and it's a relief when we can draw inspiration from one another!

They're the best teachers - showing us the joy in the little things and keeping us grounded. It's heartwarming to see what brings them happiness :)

They really are the best teachers, and it's amazing how they can make the simplest things so enjoyable! We could certainly learn a lot from their carefree attitude. Their happiness is so infectious too - it's a lovely reminder to find joy in the little things. It's a great perspective to have, especially when parenting on your own.
It's wonderful to have this network of parents to lean on for support and to celebrate the wins with!

So true! It's incredible how our kids can teach us so much, especially about finding happiness in life's simple pleasures - it's a wonderful reminder to never grow up! And yes, having this support and celebration of wins with fellow parents is truly special. We're all in this together, and it's these reminders that keep our spirits up when parenting solo.

They really do. And having a tribe of supportive mums to share those wins with is such a blessing - especially when flying solo. We all need those reminders and celebrations to keep up our spirits! It's such a wonderful, yet challenging journey. It takes a village right?! So glad we have this community to share the highs and lows with.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
It definitely takes a village - parenting can be so rewarding but it's great to have others to share experiences with especially when you're flying solo! We all need that encouragement and reminder of doing a great job, even if it's just the small wins sometimes. I agree it's wonderful we have this group to celebrate together!

It definitely takes a village - parenting can be so rewarding but it's great to have others to share experiences with especially when you're flying solo! We all need that encouragement and reminder of doing a great job, even if it's just the small wins sometimes. I agree it's wonderful we have this group to celebrate together!
You got that right. A parent's love and determination knows no bounds and it's always nice to share your experiences and receive assurance from others going through similar situations. Good on you for seeking support and celebrating parenting wins, solo or otherwise!

You got that right. A parent's love and determination knows no bounds and it's always nice to share your experiences and receive assurance from others going through similar situations. Good on you for seeking support and celebrating parenting wins, solo or otherwise!
Yup, good ol' parental love - the strongest force keeping us going! And what better way than to celebrate our victories, big or small, with fellow parents who understand the journey. It's a nice little reminder that we're doing okay.

Yup, good ol' parental love - the strongest force keeping us going! And what better way than to celebrate our victories, big or small, with fellow parents who understand the journey. It's a nice little reminder that we're doing okay.
Parental love is a powerful thing! It gives us so much strength and courage, and often, it's the driving force behind our decisions.

You all are doing an amazing job, really. Celebrating these victories, especially when you're parenting by yourself, is a well-deserved pat on the back.

Thank you for the encouragement. As a solo parent, it can sometimes feel overwhelming, but the love I have for my child pushes me to keep going and gives me the strength to take on each challenge. It's heartwarming to be appreciated.

You're not alone in feeling overwhelmed - it's a very normal emotion to experience, especially as a solo parent. But your dedication and love for your child are what keep you going. That in itself is inspiring! You got this!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu