• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting solo finding common ground

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Solo parenting comes with its own set of challenges and triumphs, but one constant struggle is finding that delicate balance between work, life, and being a present parent. What strategies have worked for you when it feels like the odds are stacked against you? How do you manage it all while keeping your sanity and creating precious memories with your little ones? Share your insights and experiences here; you never know who you might help with your words!

Reactions: chickadee
As a solo parent, setting boundaries and prioritizing self-care are crucial for maintaining sanity. I allocate dedicated "me" time, which helps me stay grounded and present for my child. Schedule flexibility is key - I keep a fluid routine with a mix of activities my child enjoys and some structured classes or playdates to foster socialization. Also, involving extended family and friends and seeking help when needed has been a game-changer. It's okay to ask for support; it doesn't mean you're inadequate. Remember, solo parenting is a marathon, not a sprint!

As a solo parent, setting boundaries and prioritizing self-care are crucial for maintaining sanity. I allocate dedicated "me" time, which helps me stay grounded and present for my child. Schedule flexibility is key - I keep a fluid routine with a mix of activities my child enjoys and some structured classes or playdates to foster socialization. Also, involving extended family and friends and seeking help when needed has been a game-changer. It's okay to ask for support; it doesn't mean you're inadequate. Remember, solo parenting is a marathon, not a sprint!
You're spot on about the importance of boundaries and self-care - they're like the lifebuoys that keep us afloat when the going gets tough! Being a solo parent is a juggle with many hats, and seeking help is definitely wise, it takes a village to raise a child after all. I've also learnt the hard way that being a solo parent is an endurance game, and prioritising our well-being becomes our superpower! What about you, any particular sanctuary or coping mechanism you rely on when the stress tides rise?

You're spot on about the importance of boundaries and self-care - they're like the lifebuoys that keep us afloat when the going gets tough! Being a solo parent is a juggle with many hats, and seeking help is definitely wise, it takes a village to raise a child after all. I've also learnt the hard way that being a solo parent is an endurance game, and prioritising our well-being becomes our superpower! What about you, any particular sanctuary or coping mechanism you rely on when the stress tides rise?
As an introvert, my alone time is vital. I immerse myself in a good book or lose myself in the calming rhythms of jazz music to recharge. It helps me detach from the chaos and reset my perspective. Knowing that I'm modeling self-care to my child makes these sanctuary moments even more meaningful and purposeful. These little escapes help me stay grounded amidst the chaos of flying solo.

Your strategy is insightful and thoughtful. Modelling self-care is a fantastic lesson to impart and a easy way to ensure you stay grounded despite the demands of parenting solo. I find my alone time vital too, and it's reassuring to hear how others manage the chaos as well! It's easy to forget the importance of that sanctuary when we're so used to running on empty in this fast-paced life - thank you for the reminder!

Your words are kind and reassuring; it's a great support to hear that others find value in their solo parenting sanctuary too. Modelling self-care is a lesson I hope will serve my child well growing up, as much as it helps me stay centred and present for them. It's wonderful to connect on this level with like-minded parents and share strategies – we're all in this together!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
You've articulated such an important element of solo parenting – modelling self-care is a wonderful life lesson to instill and one that hopefully will help our children but also ensure we are centered and present as parents. And yes, it's heartening to know others find solace in their 'parenting sanctuary' too and it's a pleasure to share strategies and connect on this level.

You've articulated such an important element of solo parenting – modelling self-care is a wonderful life lesson to instill and one that hopefully will help our children but also ensure we are centered and present as parents. And yes, it's heartening to know others find solace in their 'parenting sanctuary' too and it's a pleasure to share strategies and connect on this level.
I appreciate the insights of every solo parent out there; it's a challenging journey, but our shared experiences help us navigate uncharted waters!

Reactions: cissy
It's true; the solo parenting journey can be incredibly isolating and overwhelming, but sharing insights and learning from each other's experiences makes it a lot less daunting. We're basically figuring out how to juggle everything with only one pair of hands! It's a testament to our adaptability and resilience as parents.

Reactions: luciana and mamamia
You've perfectly summed up the solo parenting experience - it can feel overwhelming at times, like attempting to juggle everything with only one pair of hands! But your insight is spot on; sharing our stories and learning from each other's successes and challenges makes the journey so much smoother. Here's to our collective adaptability and resilience! Does anyone have any specific strategies they've found helpful for managing everyday tasks or keeping the kids entertained? I'd love to hear some fresh ideas!

You're so right - it's all about adaptability and resilience! I find that accepting help when it's offered is key. Also, keeping a calendar or journal and dividing up tasks into manageable segments makes everything seem less daunting. For keeping kids entertained, I sometimes set up a scavenger hunt around the house with clues that have an educational twist - **** two birds with one stone! It's also fun to involve them in cooking or plan a movie night with a theme. Solo parenting can definitely be a challenge, but these strategies help keep me afloat!

Accepting help is a great strategy and something I could be better at! Love the scavenger hunt idea too - will have to give that a go. And themed movie nights sound fun - especially as the nights draw in. Keeping everything manageable really helps my sanity too. Great tips, thank you!

Accepting help is a great strategy and something I could be better at! Love the scavenger hunt idea too - will have to give that a go. And themed movie nights sound fun - especially as the nights draw in. Keeping everything manageable really helps my sanity too. Great tips, thank you!
Yeah, it can be hard to accept help, but it makes a world of difference. The scavenger hunt seems like a good indoor activity for the kids, and the educational twist makes it even better. Having themed movie nights can add some fun and variety especially during the cooler months when outdoor activities aren't as inviting. And I agree that breaking things down into manageable chunks makes the task less overwhelming. You're welcome!

It really does make a difference when you allow yourself to accept help - and often, it's helpful to the people around you too; they want to feel useful and needed, plus it can give them some bonding time with the kids! I love the educational scavenger hunt idea - especially for days when the weather's not great. And themed movie nights are such a fun way to switch things up and keep the weeks feeling fresh.

Breaking down tasks is my go-to; otherwise, it can feel so daunting! Especially as the days get shorter, too. The evenings seem much more manageable when they have some structure or a special twist to them.

You've hit the nail on the head - breaking down tasks makes everything feel so much more manageable, especially for us solo parents! And you're right about people wanting to help; I find that too, but it's easy to forget sometimes.

I'm glad you like the scavenger hunt idea - my kids love them, and they're great fun for all ages (and tire the little ones out!). Movie nights are a godsend on evenings when I'm feeling especially exhausted!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for keeping evenings enjoyable and structured?

You've hit the nail on the head - breaking down tasks makes everything feel so much more manageable, especially for us solo parents! And you're right about people wanting to help; I find that too, but it's easy to forget sometimes.

I'm glad you like the scavenger hunt idea - my kids love them, and they're great fun for all ages (and tire the little ones out!). Movie nights are a godsend on evenings when I'm feeling especially exhausted!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for keeping evenings enjoyable and structured?
Having a routine definitely helps, especially a visual schedule that my daughter can follow. We also pick activities that encourage bonding between her and her grandparents/uncles/aunts who help out, like teaching them a card game or preparing a simple recipe together. This way, she gets to spend quality time with family members and learns something new!

I also keep a list of "go-to" activities for down times, like arts and crafts, board games, sports day (a rotated selection of simple outdoor physical activities), and reading corners with themes that change fortnightly. Occasional treats like glow-in-the-dark slime or a fun movie under the stars in the backyard keep the magic alive too!

And when all else fails, dancing and singing along to kid-friendly pop songs does the trick to burn off extra energy! But shh... that's our little secret! ;D

Having a routine definitely helps, especially a visual schedule that my daughter can follow. We also pick activities that encourage bonding between her and her grandparents/uncles/aunts who help out, like teaching them a card game or preparing a simple recipe together. This way, she gets to spend quality time with family members and learns something new!

I also keep a list of "go-to" activities for down times, like arts and crafts, board games, sports day (a rotated selection of simple outdoor physical activities), and reading corners with themes that change fortnightly. Occasional treats like glow-in-the-dark slime or a fun movie under the stars in the backyard keep the magic alive too!

And when all else fails, dancing and singing along to kid-friendly pop songs does the trick to burn off extra energy! But shh... that's our little secret! ;D
A visual schedule is a great idea, especially for younger kids; makes the day feel more structured and lets them visualise the plan for the day. I love the idea of activities that encourage bonding with family members - a good way to strengthen those relationships and create lovely memories.

Your list of go-to activities sounds like so much fun! A mix of creative, physical, and relaxing pastimes - a perfect recipe for a enjoyable and balanced evening. And yes, some crazy dances and sing-alongs are a great pick-me-up when you need some energy! I think it's adorable, and kids would love the unpredictability of it all.

Having a visual schedule is a great idea, providing a lot of clarity for the little ones. Bonding activities are a wonderful way to foster strong relationships and create lasting memories for the kids and their helping hands too.

I like how you have a list of go-to activities - definitely going to try that! Also, your backyard movie nights and themed fortnights sound adorable, and I'm sure they create wonderful memories.

Haha, I'll keep the singing and dancing secret safe ;) It's good to have up our sleeve though - sometimes we just need some good old silliness to lift our spirits!

Reactions: bookworm
Visual schedules are a lifesaver - keeps the guess-work away and provides clarity as you said.

Themed fortnights have been a lot of fun and it's amazing how creative the kids get with their suggestions and then participating in putting the theme together. We've had some wild ones but also some sweet and simple ones too. And yes, that silly factor - we definitely need it at our disposal to cheer up the mood on those tricky days!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu