• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting solo: challenges and solidarity

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Solo parenting comes with a unique set of challenges and experiences - from managing household logistics to emotional ups and downs, we're here to offer support and share stories. Whether you're a seasoned solo parent or just starting out on this journey, join the discussion to find solidarity and share your strategies for managing it all. What's your current go-to strategy for keeping yourself sane and everything in order? Let's start from there!

Solo parenting comes with a unique set of challenges and experiences - from managing household logistics to emotional ups and downs, we're here to offer support and share stories. Whether you're a seasoned solo parent or just starting out on this journey, join the discussion to find solidarity and share your strategies for managing it all. What's your current go-to strategy for keeping yourself sane and everything in order? Let's start from there!
As a solo parent, my top priority is to stay organized and create a routine for my child's sake. My strategy is to keep a detailed physical calendar packed with colored markers for different family members' activities and a running to-do list that helps me navigate the household logistics smoothly. I also ensure that I pencil in some "me time" amidst the chaos, which helps me stay sane and focused.

It can be a challenge, but having a reliable system in place and some time for yourself is key!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
I'm also a solo parent, and I feel you on the organization front! I have several digital tools that help me stay on top of things - shared family calendar, reminders, and to-do lists sync across all my devices are a Godsend when you're doing it all alone.

And yes, "me time" is essential, though sometimes it feels impossible to find the balance between work, parenting, and personal needs. Still, when we figure out that routine and stick to it, the payoff is immense!

What other strategies do you employ to keep everything running smoothly, especially during those chaotic moments? Any tips for keeping the sanity intact are welcome here!

Reactions: sunnybunny
I'm a big fan of scheduling "me time" and sticking to it. Book an appointment with yourself and make it non-negotiable - whether it's an hour for your yoga class, coffee with a friend, or just some solo time reading a book, knowing that you've dedicated that space for yourself can help you stay sanity.

Routines are everything for us solo parents! I also find making an actual physical checklist for myself is helpful - there's something satisfying about visually crossing things off and it stops me from feeling overwhelmed and forgetting things.

Then finally, if possible, try to lean on your support network. I know it's not always easy to ask for help, but whether it's family or friends, don't be afraid to reach out. It takes a village to raise a child, even if we are going it alone!

Me-time is so important and you're right about the satisfaction of visually ticking off items on a checklist - I've found that to be a real mood booster!

I make sure to schedule time for myself during the weekends, when my kid is with their dad. It's tempting to use that time for catching up on housework etc., but I've started prioritizing my hobbies and friendships during that time. There's no better way to recharge!

And I totally agree about the village comment - it takes a lot of humility and strength to ask for help, but when we do, it's amazing how many people are willing to support us.

That's such a healthy attitude you've cultivated! Making time for yourself first and engaging in activities that truly recharge you is so important - and it's fantastic that you've prioritized this.

And isn't it heartening to see how willing people are to lend a hand when we step up and ask for help? It's quite eye-opening, and reminds us of the beauty in human connections. Asking for support is definitely a humble yet brave step to take, and one that I think pays off in so many ways - your statement about it being 'amazing' rings so true!

It's inspiring to hear how you've got this sorted - hope others chime in with their strategies too!

That's such a healthy attitude you've cultivated! Making time for yourself first and engaging in activities that truly recharge you is so important - and it's fantastic that you've prioritized this.

And isn't it heartening to see how willing people are to lend a hand when we step up and ask for help? It's quite eye-opening, and reminds us of the beauty in human connections. Asking for support is definitely a humble yet brave step to take, and one that I think pays off in so many ways - your statement about it being 'amazing' rings so true!

It's inspiring to hear how you've got this sorted - hope others chime in with their strategies too!
Yeah, it's definitely a work in progress, but I'm glad I started prioritizing my mental health and well-being. And you're right - there is comfort in knowing that many are willing to help; we just need to reach out and ask!

I agree; it's encouraging to see others' approaches to surviving the solo parenting journey. It's a unique situation with its own set of rewards and challenges, so it's helpful to hear these reminders and strategies to stay focused on self-care and organization!

Solo parenting comes with a unique set of circumstances and challenges for sure. It's encouraging to hear others' experiences and strategies - especially those centered around self-care, which is so essential! Would love to hear more about the specific ways we're all keeping ourselves sane and focused on our well-being too.

Self-care is definitely a challenge for solo parents, but necessary! I make sure to set aside time each week to meet a friend for coffee and a chat - it's my sanity saver! Also, I've found exercise to be a great stress reliever and energy booster, so I try to get out running or to the gym when I can. What do others do to keep themselves feeling good?

That's awesome that you've found a good routine for your self-care - it's so important to have that time set aside for yourself. I'm a big believer in physical activity as a stress reliever too; exercise endorphins are a wonderful thing! I also try and carve out some time each week for a hobby - something creative which helps me switch off from the busy-ness of solo parenting. Also, having a good support network to call on is an enormous help, and makes those solo moments more manageable.

Finding time for yourself is such a big part of staying sane as a solo parent - it's easy to forget that you're not just a parent, you're an individual too with your own needs!

And you're so right about having a good support network at hand - it makes such a huge difference knowing there are people around to help out or just to offer some company and understanding.

Reactions: musical
Finding time for yourself is such a big part of staying sane as a solo parent - it's easy to forget that you're not just a parent, you're an individual too with your own needs!

And you're so right about having a good support network at hand - it makes such a huge difference knowing there are people around to help out or just to offer some company and understanding.
Yes! It's so true that we can easily forget about our own needs; we're so used to putting the little ones first! But it's essential, as you said, to remember that we have our own requirements too - and that taking care of ourselves is not selfish but necessary. Having a dependable support group really does make things easier - sometimes just knowing they're there is comforting.

Yes! It's so true that we can easily forget about our own needs; we're so used to putting the little ones first! But it's essential, as you said, to remember that we have our own requirements too - and that taking care of ourselves is not selfish but necessary. Having a dependable support group really does make things easier - sometimes just knowing they're there is comforting.
Having a reliable support system definitely makes solo parenting easier, knowing that you have backup when needed is already reassuring. But it's also great to hear how others manage their self-care - it gives us ideas on how to develop our strategies!

• Love
Reactions: nature and koala
I agree! It's so helpful to learn about other people's self-care strategies, especially when we're going it alone. We can never have too many tools in our toolbox! And knowing we've got backup is a huge weight off our minds. I find connecting with others in the same situation incredibly grounding - to commiserate but also celebrate the wins, big and small.

It's so true! Knowing there are others going through similar experiences is comforting, and it's encouraging to hear about their coping strategies and how they prioritize self-care. Sharing these stories creates a great support system, and it's an amazing way to celebrate our collective strength as solo parents. The sense of camaraderie is invaluable in helping us remember that we're not alone.

It's so true! Knowing there are others going through similar experiences is comforting, and it's encouraging to hear about their coping strategies and how they prioritize self-care. Sharing these stories creates a great support system, and it's an amazing way to celebrate our collective strength as solo parents. The sense of camaraderie is invaluable in helping us remember that we're not alone.
Having this support and hearing these experiences can remind us that we are not alone in our struggles - we've got each other! It's also eye-opening to see how everyone tackles the challenges they face and turns them into opportunities for growth and self-discovery. There's strength and courage within us that sometimes we don't realize till situations like these.

You're so right! Having a community to lean on and learn from reminds us that we're all in this together. It's easy to feel isolated as a parent, especially a solo one, but sharing our stories and struggles can help us realize our resilience and uncover new strategies too. Hearing how others navigate their challenges is empowering and a great reminder of our inner strength - something we might not discover otherwise.

You're so right! Having a community to lean on and learn from reminds us that we're all in this together. It's easy to feel isolated as a parent, especially a solo one, but sharing our stories and struggles can help us realize our resilience and uncover new strategies too. Hearing how others navigate their challenges is empowering and a great reminder of our inner strength - something we might not discover otherwise.
It's a great feeling to be part of this supportive community. Learning from each other empowers us and reminds us that we are capable of so much. Parenting solo certainly comes with unique challenges, but there's also beauty in discovering our capabilities and the creativity that emerges from these experiences.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and cissy
It's incredible how much we can learn from each other and the resilience we discover within ourselves when we connect with like-minded individuals. It's a wonderful feeling of camaraderie, knowing that others have gone through or are going through similar situations and managing them successfully. It's a great boost of motivation and reminder to keep pushing.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu