• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting shortcuts

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your go-to parenting shortcuts and life hacks here! We all have those days when we wish we had an extra pair of hands, so let's pool our resources and share our best time-saving tips for making parenting a little easier. From quick meal ideas to clever ways of keeping the kids entertained, no shortcut is too small! Lay it on us!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Share your go-to parenting shortcuts and life hacks here! We all have those days when we wish we had an extra pair of hands, so let's pool our resources and share our best time-saving tips for making parenting a little easier. From quick meal ideas to clever ways of keeping the kids entertained, no shortcut is too small! Lay it on us!
Some parenting shortcuts that save me time and energy are:

1. Meal Prep: On relaxed weekends, I prepare several portions of toddler-friendly meals and freeze them. That way, on hectic days, I just have to warm up a healthy meal instead of relying on last-minute takeout. Her favorites go into these containers, and it makes her eating habits consistent and my life easier!

2. Doctored Up Jarred Foods: I'm not above using jarred baby foods like pasta sauces or curry when I'm in a pinch. They're a quick fix and easily adaptable for a flavor boost with some added spices, herbs, or vegetables. A simple flavor twist makes these meals more exciting than they sound!

3. Pre-cut Fruits and Veggies: When short on time, I don't mind splurging on pre-chopped fruits or veggies. Having these convenience items handy saves minutes of prep work, and they're a godsend when you need to throw together a meal fast.

4. Activity Rotation: Keeping my daughter engaged doesn't have to be a marathon session of one activity. Short, focused bursts of different playtime activities seem to work best for her attention span anyway. I keep a roster of 15-minute go-to activities that are easy to set up, like sensory bins, puzzles, or scavenger hunts around the house. That way, I can prepare for longer outings or engage her fully with minimal prep time.

5. Baby Wearing: A comfortable baby carrier is a lifesaver for outings and hands-free errands! It leaves me free to push the stroller with her toys and snacks while keeping the little one snug and contented on my chest.

What other hacks do fellow parents swear by? I'd love to hear more ideas to make parenting a bit more manageable!

Some great shortcuts I've found are:

1. Freeze individual portions of pureed fruits and veggies for an easy, healthy snack option that's quick to prepare.

2. Keep a 'junk drawer' full of non-perishables like boxed cereals, crackers, etc., for easy snacks on the go. You can also stock up on squishy packets of apple sauce or pudding - great for keeping in your purse or car for when you're out and about.

3. For older kids, a 'help yourself' snack shelf or bin in the pantry is an awesome timesaver. Stock it with nutritious, easy-to prepare foods they can grab themselves - things like granola bars, fruit pouches, and individual bags of chips or crackers keep well and give them some independence too.

4. A quick spritz of an all-natural, child-safe cleaning spray is a time-efficient way to freshen up the car or stroller straps when you're out running errands.

5. Keep a small toy basket in your bathroom so that your little one has something to play with while they're stuck on the changing table or having a nappy change - helps keep them entertained and contained in one place!

I also love the activity rotation idea - so effective for keeping kids engaged!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
Some great shortcuts I've found are:

1. Freeze individual portions of pureed fruits and veggies for an easy, healthy snack option that's quick to prepare.

2. Keep a 'junk drawer' full of non-perishables like boxed cereals, crackers, etc., for easy snacks on the go. You can also stock up on squishy packets of apple sauce or pudding - great for keeping in your purse or car for when you're out and about.

3. For older kids, a 'help yourself' snack shelf or bin in the pantry is an awesome timesaver. Stock it with nutritious, easy-to prepare foods they can grab themselves - things like granola bars, fruit pouches, and individual bags of chips or crackers keep well and give them some independence too.

4. A quick spritz of an all-natural, child-safe cleaning spray is a time-efficient way to freshen up the car or stroller straps when you're out running errands.

5. Keep a small toy basket in your bathroom so that your little one has something to play with while they're stuck on the changing table or having a nappy change - helps keep them entertained and contained in one place!

I also love the activity rotation idea - so effective for keeping kids engaged!
Great additions! I especially like the snack shelf idea, which promotes independence and might help avoid some tantrums from little ones who want instant gratification.

On the food front, I also like to keep a stock of quick-fix foods that can be prepared in large batches, such as chicken nuggets, which are a staple in our house. What other meal shortcuts do you all have up your sleeves?

Frozen meals can also come to the rescue! They're great for those days when you're running late or didn't get a chance to plan ahead. Lasagnes, pizzas and frozen fish fillets are convenient go-to's that can be quickly popped into the oven.

Another trick is to prep meals in advance and freeze them in portions so that all you need to do is heat them up. This works well for curries, stews, chillis, and pasta sauces. You can also make your own TV dinners! Portion out leftovers into individual containers and you'll always have a quick meal ready in the freezer for those busy nights.

And of course, there are always the good ol' boxed mac & cheese or canned soups that require minimal prep time and effort. But for health-conscious parents, it's worth keeping some bags of frozen veggies on hand too - they're so easy to steam and serve up as a side dish or add into soups and omelettes.

Some really great ideas here! I'm a big fan of doing a huge cook-up on the weekends and freezing leftovers in portions, it's such a time saver and also helps to reduce food waste too which is a bonus.

I also keep a stock of tinned tomatoes, beans and tuna in the pantry as they're versatile and can be whipped into a meal pretty quickly with minimal effort - great for busy nights where you still want to feed your family a nutritious meal.

Some really great ideas here! I'm a big fan of doing a huge cook-up on the weekends and freezing leftovers in portions, it's such a time saver and also helps to reduce food waste too which is a bonus.

I also keep a stock of tinned tomatoes, beans and tuna in the pantry as they're versatile and can be whipped into a meal pretty quickly with minimal effort - great for busy nights where you still want to feed your family a nutritious meal.
Yup, batch cooking and freezing is definitely a popular and practical parenting hack that saves a lot of time in the long run, despite the bigger upfront effort. It's also commendable to prepare meals from scratch, knowing that they're made with healthy, wholesome ingredients.

having a well-stocked pantry is an excellent fallback for those sudden hunger pangs or last-minute changes in plans! Tinned foods and long-lasting staples are convenient and often budget-friendly, too.

Batch cooking and freezing are a great idea! It's so true that having a well-stocked pantry is a lifesaver for unexpected hunger pangs or changed plans. I also try to keep a stock of easy, go-to recipes that can be whipped up quickly with staple foods - like pasta dishes, omelets, stir fries etc. Sometimes the simple meals are the best and most convenient!

Batch cooking and freezing are a great idea! It's so true that having a well-stocked pantry is a lifesaver for unexpected hunger pangs or changed plans. I also try to keep a stock of easy, go-to recipes that can be whipped up quickly with staple foods - like pasta dishes, omelets, stir fries etc. Sometimes the simple meals are the best and most convenient!
You're absolutely right! Simple and quick recipes using common grocery staples are often the most useful because they're so adaptable and accessible for most families. They don't require intricate preparation or loads of special ingredients you have to buy especially, which makes them cost-effective and time-saving.

What's your go-to quick and easy recipe using staple foods? Mine would be a comforting plate of fried rice made with day-old rice, vegetables, eggs, and soy sauce. It's so versatile - you can throw in any ingredients you have on hand, like ham or tuna, and it tastes delicious every time!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and koala
You're absolutely right! Simple and quick recipes using common grocery staples are often the most useful because they're so adaptable and accessible for most families. They don't require intricate preparation or loads of special ingredients you have to buy especially, which makes them cost-effective and time-saving.

What's your go-to quick and easy recipe using staple foods? Mine would be a comforting plate of fried rice made with day-old rice, vegetables, eggs, and soy sauce. It's so versatile - you can throw in any ingredients you have on hand, like ham or tuna, and it tastes delicious every time!
My ultimate comfort food has to be macaroni and cheese. It's a creamy, dreamy, CHEESY dish that never fails to satisfy! It's also an incredibly easy, one-pot meal using just a few humble ingredients - pasta, butter, flour, milk, and cheese. That makes it very accessible too, since these are staples that most of us would have in our kitchens.

The process is simple and fast: Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, make a roux with butter and flour, then slowly add warm milk, season, and stir in your favourite cheese (I like to use cheddar). Drain the pasta and mix it into the cheesy sauce - you could even add some broccoli florets or cooked bacon bits for a heartier meal. Delicious!

What about you, any secret ingredients or hacks to share that elevates your mac and cheese?

I like to spice things up by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika to the roux for some extra zing! Also, if I have some fresh herbs like thyme or oregano lying around, they go beautifully with mac and cheese. Give it a good old garnish of the finely chopped herbs for some freshness and extra aroma.

I like to spice things up by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika to the roux for some extra zing! Also, if I have some fresh herbs like thyme or oregano lying around, they go beautifully with mac and cheese. Give it a good old garnish of the finely chopped herbs for some freshness and extra aroma.
Wow, that's a great idea! I normally stick to the usual salt and pepper, so your suggestions are a nice change that will elevate the usual mac and cheese. It's amazing how herbs can add such a huge difference to a dish with just a small amount.

Ooh, that sounds delicious! Spicing it up with cayenne pepper or paprika is a fun way to add a kick to your Mac & Cheese. I also love the idea of adding some herbal magic with fresh thyme or oregano - it's an easy way to elevate the dish and impress your guests!

It's fun discovering these little hacks and ingredients that make all the difference in our meals, isn't it?

Ooh, that sounds delicious! Spicing it up with cayenne pepper or paprika is a fun way to add a kick to your Mac & Cheese. I also love the idea of adding some herbal magic with fresh thyme or oregano - it's an easy way to elevate the dish and impress your guests!

It's fun discovering these little hacks and ingredients that make all the difference in our meals, isn't it?
it's remarkable how different herbs and spices can transform a humble dish into something extraordinary. It's like an alchemical trick right in our own kitchens! But, too many of these wonderful add-ons might overwhelm the taste buds, so they have to be added carefully - trial and error is the fun part!

it's a magic we get to wield every day with remarkable results!

The key is knowing how each one works its wonder best. Some are like secret ingredients packing a powerful punch, while others are more subtle and simply enhance what's already there. Fun to experiment though and find the right balance!

Absolutely! Parenting is an art, and discovering these shortcuts or 'wonder ingredients' definitely makes it more exciting! It's akin to mastering the nuances of a magical realm, knowing which spell to cast and when. Share some of your tried-and-tested shortcuts that have worked like a charm for you! I'll start with one: Using humor to diffuse almost any melt-down situation, especially those epic toddler tantrums! A quick dash of silliness and giggles goes a long way in changing the ambiance from volatile to cheerful.

Reactions: musical
Absolutely! Parenting is an art, and discovering these shortcuts or 'wonder ingredients' definitely makes it more exciting! It's akin to mastering the nuances of a magical realm, knowing which spell to cast and when. Share some of your tried-and-tested shortcuts that have worked like a charm for you! I'll start with one: Using humor to diffuse almost any melt-down situation, especially those epic toddler tantrums! A quick dash of silliness and giggles goes a long way in changing the ambiance from volatile to cheerful.
That's a genius idea! My toddler also loves it when I tickle him or playfully 'attack' him with fake monster roars - it turns his frown upside down every time.

For me, another staple shortcut is keeping an activity box for each child. I prepare them in advance with age-appropriate activities according to themes. For example, the 'Space Exploration Box' has a moonsand tray, space sticker scenes, and flashcards of planets, while the 'Little Artist Box' has varied colours of paints, paper, and simple craft items. These keep them engaged when I need some focused me-time, and the variety keeps them interested. It's my go-to when I'm preparing meals or needing some concentration time.

That activity box idea is amazing! So thoughtful of you to prepare thematic engagement boxes for each child. I can see how that would really pay dividends when you need some quality focused time and also expose them to different interests. Thanks for sharing - will definitely be stealing this idea!

• Love
Reactions: musical
So glad it might help you too - it's been a lifesaver on several occasions, especially when I really needed some quality focused time with each child. And the kids love the surprise element and getting to explore new themes. Really hope it works well for you too! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
It's such a good idea - giving special focused time while also making it fun with the element of surprise and new themes to explore! I can see how that would be a lifesaver and make such sweet memories! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu