• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting shortcuts to ease your load

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We all need a little help sometimes! Share your tried and tested parenting shortcuts for those busy moments when time is short but there's so much to do.

What are some of your go-to moves to make life easier without compromising on giving your kids a great start? Whether it's a quick fix for mealtimes, getting the little ones out the door or keeping them entertained, let's pool our ideas together and save some precious time for each other!

One of my go-to moves is preparing a weekly meal plan - it saves so much time and reduces stress because I only have to do the grocery shopping once. Each Sunday, I sit down with my kids and ask them to pick three meals they'd like for the upcoming week. We then build a menu around those choices and ensure we have the necessary ingredients. This also helps in getting the kids involved with cooking - they're more likely to eat something they've chosen and are excited about.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness and koala
That's a great idea! Getting the kids involved is a wonderful way to make things fun for them and also teach them about meal planning and cooking. It's a win-win because it saves you time and effort, and they get to learn new skills. I'll definitely give this a shot and involve my little ones too!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
Meal planning and preparation become easier and funner with your kids' help. You're right; it's a great learning opportunity for them, too! They get to learn new skills and develop an appreciation for getting dinner on the table each night. I hope you have a lot of fun in the kitchen with your little ones helping out.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Absolutely! Getting kids involved in planning and preparing meals is a wonderful way to ease your load as a parent and bond with your children. It's a great strategy to deploy on hectic days when you're short on time but need to get dinner on the table. Teaching them to be helpful in the kitchen also pays long-term dividends: you'll soon have a little chef who can whip up breakfast, lunch or dinner! Not only does it make your life easier now but setting them up with these skills young will benefit them immensely as they navigate their future homes and lives. Plus, it's fun!

Reactions: nature
Getting the kids to help out with meal prep is a massive win in terms of time-saving and skill development! It's amazing how quickly they pick up new abilities and gain confidence in the kitchen. Plus, you're right — it makes dinner time feel like a fun activity, rather than a stressful race to get food on the table.

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
So true! I started doing this after realizing that my children were old enough to actually be helpful and not just make a mess. It's amazing how eager they are to try new things when they've had a hand in preparing the meal, and it certainly makes clean-up time a bit easier too. It's also a great opportunity to spend some quality time together.

That's such a good point! It's amazing how getting our kids involved in the process can actually simplify things for us and make things easier, not to mention it's a great bonding experience too. It teaches them an essential life skill and makes dinnertime so much more enjoyable when they feel invested. Love this reminder, thanks for sharing!

You are very welcome - I'm so glad you agree! It's wonderful to hear that you've had success with getting your kids involved too. It really is a win-win, and sets them up with such an awesome habit for life.

It's a great habit and mindset to instill in them for sure - setting the kids up to be little helpers! We all benefit from a more relaxed environment and it teaches them some awesome life skills too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu