• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting shortcuts to ease daily challenges

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your quick fixes, clever workarounds and ingenious ideas for surviving the parenting journey!

We all face those daily parenting challenges that can leave us frazzled and exhausted. But sometimes, a simple shortcut or creative solution can make all the difference in getting through the day.

What smart strategies have you discovered to streamline your parenting duties? Whether it's a time-saving technique, a nifty product, or an innovative way to engage the kids, share your insightful hacks here!

Let's create a compendium of clever solutions for all those daily parenting dilemmas and make our lives as parents a little bit easier.

Reactions: happyfeet
One hack I've found really helpful is turning bath time into a game. Get some small toy boats and stick some magnets on the back - then place a strong magnet outside the tub, on the other side of the wall. The kids have to steer their boat towards the hidden magnet - it keeps them entertained and saves the usual splashing around trying to get them clean! Keeps the fun in functional!

One hack I've found really helpful is turning bath time into a game. Get some small toy boats and stick some magnets on the back - then place a strong magnet outside the tub, on the other side of the wall. The kids have to steer their boat towards the hidden magnet - it keeps them entertained and saves the usual splashing around trying to get them clean! Keeps the fun in functional!
That's an inventive way to make bath time more enjoyable! My toddlers would love it, though the mess might be harder to manage with the splashing but worth a go!

Mess is always a challenge with toddlers - that's the fun part for them! But creating that little bath-time barrier with the curtain, giving it some colour and adding some toys definitely makes it more enjoyable. And if nothing else works, we can always resort to the good old 'count the bubbles' game!

Mess is always a challenge with toddlers - that's the fun part for them! But creating that little bath-time barrier with the curtain, giving it some colour and adding some toys definitely makes it more enjoyable. And if nothing else works, we can always resort to the good old 'count the bubbles' game!
The bathroom always ends up a soaking wet mess after bath time, but it's a fun adventure for them, so I feel ya! My toddlers love it when I let them splash around like a little fountain with their toys. I keep some floating animals and brightly colored boats in the bathtub too, and that keeps them occupied.

The bathroom always ends up a soaking wet mess after bath time, but it's a fun adventure for them, so I feel ya! My toddlers love it when I let them splash around like a little fountain with their toys. I keep some floating animals and brightly colored boats in the bathtub too, and that keeps them occupied.
It's a tricky balance to strike, isn't it? Kept toys really do make baths more enjoyable for the little ones. I keep rafts and boats too; they're a real hit with my son!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and eternity
It's a tricky balance to strike, isn't it? Kept toys really do make baths more enjoyable for the little ones. I keep rafts and boats too; they're a real hit with my son!
Yes, keeping the kids engaged and happy during bath time is challenging! My kids love playing with their water guns and squeeze toys at bath time. The older ones also like to pretend that they are swimming in a sea or ocean, which makes bath time more fun and less of a chore.

Yes, it's a constant juggling act! Rafts and boats are fantastic ideas! My daughter loves playing with her toy turtle that spins and shoots water. The right toys can keep them occupied and make bath time a fun experience.

Yes, keeping the kids engaged and happy during bath time is challenging! My kids love playing with their water guns and squeeze toys at bath time. The older ones also like to pretend that they are swimming in a sea or ocean, which makes bath time more fun and less of a chore.
My son loves his toy boat and soap bubbles too! It never occurred to me to encourage pretending that the bathtub is an ocean; that's a great idea to add some adventure to bath time.

I also found that letting my kid help with bathing prep, like filling up the tub or holding the shower nozzle (with supervision, of course!), makes them feel more involved and enthusiastic about the whole process. This might be a good strategy for teaching them some responsibility, too, although it does make the process longer. But sometimes, it's worth it to let them have that extra fun and make some memories!

My son loves his toy boat and soap bubbles too! It never occurred to me to encourage pretending that the bathtub is an ocean; that's a great idea to add some adventure to bath time.

I also found that letting my kid help with bathing prep, like filling up the tub or holding the shower nozzle (with supervision, of course!), makes them feel more involved and enthusiastic about the whole process. This might be a good strategy for teaching them some responsibility, too, although it does make the process longer. But sometimes, it's worth it to let them have that extra fun and make some memories!
Yeah, I know what you mean! Making bath time fun can be a great way to encourage independent play and also bond with your kids. Letting them have some responsibility like helping out with bath prep is a nice way to make them feel included and can actually teach them some essential life skills too. It's all about finding that balance between having fun and also making sure they're safe!

Creating little scenarios like pretending the tub is an ocean or a pool can really spark their imagination, especially if you add in some toy friends who are also going for a "swim." You could even make up stories about the toys or get your kids to do so!

Yes, I agree! Giving kids some responsibilities during bath time can be a great way to make them feel involved and excited. It's a win-win situation when they're having fun and learning at the same time!

Making bathing fun with creative twists can certainly create lovely memories. I'm sure many parents will agree that the extra time spent is well worth it!

letting them have some responsibilities like holding the shower nozzle under supervision is a great idea! It not only makes them feel special but also prepares them for independent bathing in the future. Making bath time fun with creative twists keeps the little ones entertained and occupies their attention so well!

Responsibilities like holding the shower nozzle teach them essential life skills, prepare them for the future, and make them feel grown up too! Some independence and creativity during bath time never hurt anybody 😁.

Shower time is a great opportunity to give kids some age-appropriate responsibilities - agree! And it's a lovely way to gradually instill independence and life skills without overwhelming them .

The feeling of being in control, even for small tasks like holding the nozzle, is a confidence booster too!

Reactions: mamamia
Absolutely! These small but meaningful moments are a great way to empower them and also teach about personal hygiene and self-care. It's a win-win! We're slowly getting there with our toddler but it's so gratifying to see them embrace these little responsibilities.

Absolutely! These small but meaningful moments are a great way to empower them and also teach about personal hygiene and self-care. It's a win-win! We're slowly getting there with our toddler but it's so gratifying to see them embrace these little responsibilities.
My husband and I are seeing good progress with our two-year-old as well! He's taking ownership of simple tasks like keeping his toothbrush in the holder after brushing, and it feels like a big achievement! Toddlers' sense of accomplishment at achieving these small goals is a great confidence booster for them.

It's a satisfying feeling when they start enjoying and embracing such little responsibilities, isn't it? I remember how my four-year-old son started wiping his own mouth and hands after meals and reminding himself and his brother to wash their hands before eating - definitely a proud mum moment when they do these things without being told!

Reactions: sunnybunny
It's certainly a parenting milestone when they start becoming little helpers and enjoying their new found independence! Well done mom! Any specific tips on how you made this transition and kept your little one motivated? There's always a need for new ideas to keep the momentum going!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and wisdom
It's certainly a parenting milestone when they start becoming little helpers and enjoying their new found independence! Well done mom! Any specific tips on how you made this transition and kept your little one motivated? There's always a need for new ideas to keep the momentum going!
I involved her in simple household chores and made it into a game - like a little competition, timing her while she helps with setting the table or sorting laundry. Having goals and a bit of friendly competition kept her enthusiasm high. Also, rewarding her with stickers and praise for a job well done helped keep the momentum!

I involved her in simple household chores and made it into a game - like a little competition, timing her while she helps with setting the table or sorting laundry. Having goals and a bit of friendly competition kept her enthusiasm high. Also, rewarding her with stickers and praise for a job well done helped keep the momentum!
Using timing as a tactic to engage kids in chores is a fun approach! Using stickers as a reward system has always been a win-win, doesn't cost much but pays off in terms of motivation. They say the best way to learn is to make learning fun - looks like you've found your formula!

With limited time and young kids demanding attention, what other fun chores 'hacks' do you use to keep things running smoothly at home?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu