• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Secrets

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many parents shared their unusual yet effective parenting tips in response to eternity's discussion starter. The common theme among these hacks was finding ways to calm children and keep them occupied, often involving food or distractions.

Some parents swore by having healthy snacks readily available - frozen or refrigerated - to appease hungry kids or distract them during fussy mealtimes. Others relied on role play and make-believe scenarios related to food and cooking.

Several contributors mentioned using rewards and sticker charts as a peaceful way to encourage good behaviour. Parents also shared their creative solutions for keeping children occupied, such as pretending toys have superpowers or creating a special “mac n cheese” recipe that adults and kids could enjoy.

Distraction techniques were a popular theme, with many parents acknowledging it as a lifesaver in tricky situations. These included using phones or old devices with games or videos, offering snacks, or bringing out exciting toys only on rare occasions. Some also spoke of keeping a stockpile of inexpensive yet captivating toys and books hidden away for emergency situations.

These quirky parenting hacks were generally well-received, and many parents related them to their own successful strategies, acknowledging the creativity required to keep children engaged.

Let's share those unusual yet highly effective parenting tricks which have worked wonders for us! You know, those little hacks which seem a bit quirky but make parenting life so much easier. I'll go first!

I've found that keeping a stash of healthy snacks in the freezer is a lifesaver for fussy meal times. When my toddler refuses to eat his meals, I can quickly defrost some frozen blueberries or even freeze-dried fruits/veggies which are nutritious and a fun treat in his eyes. It buys me some time to prepare a proper meal while he's happily munching on those.

What about you? Any weird but wonderful parenting secrets you'd like to share?

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
My quirky parenting trick is also food-related! Whenever I need to keep my little one occupied for some me time, I'd get him to help me in the kitchen!

I let him mix ingredients in a bowl or knead dough. It keeps him busy and away from all the screens, plus he gets a kick out of helping Mama cook. Win-win situation because he's learning about measurements and food preparation, and it's a good bonding session too!

Ah, that's a great idea to have some frozen snacks at the ready! I find it super helpful to have some quick go-to snacks like energy balls made with oats, nuts and dried fruits for fussy eating days. Also, keeping small portions of cut-up fruits and veggies in the fridge that can be easily grabbed is a time saver.

Another quirky one - encouraging role play and pretend meals. My kiddo loves to 'cook' and serve me meals, so it helps with his food exposure and also keeps him occupied while I actually cook! I just need to remember to pretend-eat the yucky tasting cardboard 'cake' he serves me sometimes 😅.

I let them think that some of their toys have 'superpowers'! For example, their soft toy rabbit gives them super strength and their wooden boat helps them "sail" through stressful situations. Sounds silly, but it helps calm my little ones down when they're overwhelmed or tired and even encourages them to clean up their toys!

Reactions: happyfeet
I let my kids think that mac n cheese comes from a special recipe, hahaha! So whenever they ask for it - and that's often - I can whip up a quick, yummy meal and they're happy because it's their 'special' food. Also saves me from cooking two different meals cos the adults like it too.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Ah, that's a great idea to keep some healthy food in the freezer! My kids also love it when I whip up a quick smoothie - just throw in some frozen berries/bananas, milk and yoghurt and blitz it up. Looks fancy but super easy and healthy too!

My other go-to parenting hack is distraction - works like a charm especially for toddlers. If they're having a meltdown, I'll quickly pull out my phone and show them some videos of trains or animals - changes their mood instantly! Or I'll ask them to help me with simple tasks like pouring cereal into bowls or getting napkins ready for meal time. Anything to keep the little ones entertained and engaged!

Ah, that's a great idea to keep some frozen snacks handy! I do something similar too - keeping small portions of cut-up fruits and veggies in the fridge. When my little one throws a tantrum cause she's hungry, it's a quick and healthy snack to shut her up... I mean, calm her down.

I also make sure to keep a stock of cheap but exciting toys/books hidden in a cupboard. When I need some peace , I whip out something new - works every time!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I keep toys in a secret stash that I bring out one by one when I need some help - like during emergencies in the shower or when I'm cooking and need to occupy them quickly! It's like having a new toy every time, works like a charm every time!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Ah, that's an interesting one!

For me, a good one is using a reward chart. I let my kids earn stars or stickers for good behaviour and small achievements. Something as simple as keeping their toys tidy can get them a sticker and after a few they can "cash" them in for a treat - works like a charm! Also keeps tantrums at bay cos the expectations are clear and they're motivated to behave.

Another one's making cleaning fun - I turn it into a game, like who can pick up the most toys in a minute or who can make their bed the fastest . Works every time!

Hacks like these are really helpful!

I have a couple of my own too. One weird but useful one I've found is to keep those large sticker charts which you'd use for rewarding good behavior and stick it somewhere the kids can see it. Works like a charm, especially if you're trying to encourage good habits like picking up after themselves or being kind to others. Each time they do something worthwhile, give them a sticker which they get to place on the chart. When the chart is filled up, you can reward them with a special treat - like that toy they've had their eyes on, or a fun day out! Something small and manageable each time is good enough, and the visual satisfaction of seeing the stickers on the chart seems to really motivate them 😁

It's also a great way to teach them about goal setting and that good things come with hard work ! 😅

Reactions: cissy
Got a tricky one which has worked well so far!

For those tantrum-filled situations - which seem to happen almost spontaneously - I keep an old smartphone in my bag at all times. You know, the one with games loaded on it or even some kid-friendly YouTube videos. It's my go-to distraction technique when things get a little crazy in public. Whack out the phone and hand it over, and the meltdown stops almost instantly!

It's kind of an emergency stash for those desperate moments, haha!

Got a tricky one which has worked well so far!

For those tantrum-filled situations - which seem to happen almost spontaneously - I keep an old smartphone in my bag at all times. You know, the one with games loaded on it or even some kid-friendly YouTube videos. It's my go-to distraction technique when things get a little crazy in public. Whack out the phone and hand it over, and the meltdown stops almost instantly!

It's kind of an emergency stash for those desperate moments, haha!
Got another one! Keep a couple of those tiny toys/ treats that you get from vending machines, wrapped up, in your purse. You know, those little things that kids love so much? Can whip them out to occupy them when needed - works well for car rides too, gives them something new to play with and keeps them quiet for a bit!

14652544619_c271e97f16_m.jpg

Oh yes, the snacking hack is so true! I've also found that keeping toddler toys in a 'special' box and bringing it out only on rare occasions is a great distraction technique. When my kids are fussy or hyper-active, I bring out those toys and it's like a mini celebration for them. They get excited and occupied while I can quietly get on with meal prep or some chill time. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve!

Oh yes, the snacking hack is so true! I've also found that keeping toddler toys in a 'special' box and bringing it out only on rare occasions is a great distraction technique. When my kids are fussy or hyper-active, I bring out those toys and it's like a mini celebration for them. They get excited and occupied while I can quietly get on with meal prep or some chill time. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve!
Yeah that's a good one! I think most of us parents have a bag of tricks up our sleeve! Mine is keeping a small packet of bubble bath liquid. When the kids are getting restless or cranky, I just whisk them outside and we have a fun little bubble-blowing session. It's a nice surprise that excites them and calms them down at the same time. Good for when you're dining out or at difficult appointments!

Reactions: bookworm
Got a special toy box too hahaha! But didn't think of using it during mealtime - genius! My go-to hack is keeping a large tote bag filled with all sorts of random kid-friendly items, like bubbles, old phone , small toys, colouring books etc. It's my emergency stash for when I need some help to keep the little one entertained. Works every time because she thinks it's a treat to get to pick something from the bag!

I totally agree that these little hacks can be lifesavers! My kiddo has a sensory issue and is super particular about the feel of certain foods, so mealtimes can be tricky. Having some crushed ice to hand is another great distraction - it's refreshing and fun to eat, and it comes in handy when he refuses most other foods. Just pop some ice cubes into a blender for a few seconds!

Not a bad idea! My little one's a real fussbucket too hahaha. I usually keep some toys hidden in my 'emergency stash' to distract her when she starts whining. Works like a charm most of the time and buys me some peace while I rustle up something decent for her dinner.

Yup, keeping snacks in the freezer is a good one! My kiddo loves it when I break out the frozen blueberries - they're a tasty, healthy treat and the perfect quick go-to when you need a bit of distraction.

I also find making mealtimes into a game helps - pretending that the food has superpowers or coming up with fun names for ordinary dishes seem to work wonders. A plate of carrots becomes a lot more appealing when it's actually "Mr. Orange's Super Carrots."

And I second the distraction technique - keeping an "emergency stash" of cheap but exciting toys and books is a lifesaver on those extra tricky days. You never know when you might need some new ammo!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu