• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Secrets

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The title says it all!

What are your ultimate parenting secrets? You know, those little hacks that make your life easier and your kids' lives better - share them here! Whether it's getting the picky eater to try new foods or finding a fun way to teach some much-needed life skill, let's share our wisdom and help each other out.

What's your top tip for an awesome parenting secret?

• Haha
Reactions: koala
When got difficult kid situations, just do the exact opposite of what they expect. For example, if they're being super fussy about eating, serve their veggies first instead of the dessert. Works like a charm because it's so unexpected. Kids love surprises!

Reactions: luciana
I think it's being consistent with discipline and setting reasonable boundaries from young. Like really firm on certain things like safety and health but also finding a balance so they still enjoy the little freedoms that bring joy to their growing up years!

Also, I make it a point to talk about emotions a lot, label them and validate their feelings, so they learn to understand and manage their feelings too. Not easy, though, got to be very alert and present! Ha! But it helps that I genuinely enjoy being with them and am curious about their little personalities and worlds.

I'd say one good parenting trick is turning chores into a game! Kids usually don't fancy the idea of doing tedious work like tidying up, but making it fun and competitive can get them engaged and even excited about helping out.

For example, you could have a "Toy Hunt" where they have to race against time to see how many toys they can put away in a specified time limit. Makes the whole experience more enjoyable for everyone!

For fussy eaters, one trick I found that works is involving my kids in preparing the meal. They're more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making themselves! Also works for introducing new foods - their curiosity gets the better of them.

Another life skill hack I picked up somewhere along the way is turning household chores into a game or competition. Works especially well with younger kids, and makes doing mundane things like folding laundry or wiping down surfaces more fun for everyone. Plus, they learn the importance of keeping things tidy!

Reactions: techsavvy
My tot loves playing with her toys inside a small tent! It's like a mini hideout for her, and it keeps her entertained for quite some time. Set up a little fort with a special toy or two and some books. Kids love having their own snug space, especially if it's a cozy corner they can call their own.

My tot loves playing with her toys inside a small tent! It's like a mini hideout for her, and it keeps her entertained for quite some time. Set up a little fort with a special toy or two and some books. Kids love having their own snug space, especially if it's a cozy corner they can call their own.
Ah, that's a great one! Creating a cozy little world within their own space is such a cool idea - gives them a sense of privacy and adventure too, like their very own den. Might try that myself!

One of my secrets - which works especially well with the super active toddler - is to create an indoor obstacle course using everyday furniture and objects. They love maneuvering and navigating through it, keeps 'em occupied for quite some time, and also helps develop their motor skills!

Reactions: sportytina
Having 2 kids myself, I'd say that one thing which helps is to keep a sense of humour and not take things too seriously!

Also, keeping a stock of cheap but engaging toys/books etc helps to occupy their time without breaking the bank - it's amazing how long kids can be entertained by new things, and it gives you some me-time too! $2 shop finds can be a real lifesaver!

As for food, I'd say expose them early to a wide variety of cuisines and tastes. Let them see you trying all sorts of foods and don't give up if they don't take to something the first few times - it might just be that their tastebuds aren't ready yet; keep offering and they might surprise you!

And lastly, don't be afraid to let them experience a little frustration or disappointment e.g. not getting a toy they wanted or not being able to do something others can do. It's good for them to learn early that life isn't always gonna give them what they want, and these experiences teach resilience!

Ah, that's a great one! Creating a cozy little world within their own space is such a cool idea - gives them a sense of privacy and adventure too, like their very own den. Might try that myself!

One of my secrets - which works especially well with the super active toddler - is to create an indoor obstacle course using everyday furniture and objects. They love maneuvering and navigating through it, keeps 'em occupied for quite some time, and also helps develop their motor skills!
Obstacle courses are definitely a fun way to keep kids active and engaged. Helps them explore and experiment with movement, and also safely challenge themselves! Got any cute or quirky ideas to spice up the usual indoor course?

Reactions: greenfingers
My tot loves her screen time but it's a headache getting her to eat healthy. Then I started using the 'Eat Your Colours' trick! Basically, I got her to make a rainbow on her plate at meal times - all she needs to do is to pick foods that correspond to the colours of the rainbow. It's easier if you have colorful food options like capsicums, sweet peas, corn, etc. available and ready. It taught her about the different food groups too! Now, she enjoys eating a proper meal and it's less stressful for me!

Oh man, I think one super helpful parenting hack is to keep a stash of cheap, small toys and rewards hidden somewhere in your bag or purse! Something you can whip out real quick when your kid's throwing a tantrum or being a bit too fidgety.

You know, those sticker books, small figurine toys, squishies, or even cheapo gadgets from the dollar store. Having something new and exciting to distract them can be a lifesaver when you're out at restaurants or during long car rides. It's like having an emergency kid-calming kit!

True that! We usually end up catering to our kids' expectations but throwing some unpredictability into the mix keeps them on their toes and helps avoid routine. Might be worth trying for other parents too who are dealing with fussy eaters or stubborn kids. It's a simple yet effective trick which works well also with older kids who think they can outsmart you!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Ah, the joys of parenting!

One tip I find helpful is to keep a basket of toys and books in the bathroom. Keeps my little ones occupied and happy while I get ready or do some quick cleaning around the house. Less whining when it's time for their baths too! Haha.

Another one - keeping a "special" snack stash, that they only get on special occasions like long car trips or when we have a especially great report card haha. It's a good incentive and the surprise element keeps them excited. I usually stock up on these snacks when there's a sale so it doesn't burn a hole in my pocket either!

As parents, we always want to keep some tricks up our sleeve for tricky situations! That's a savvy idea to have a bag of trick rewards. I find it especially helpful when the stash is diverse, so kids don't get bored of the options. Variety is the spice of life, after all!

Another hack is to create a mini scavenger hunt when you're at home and need some quiet time to get things done. Give the young ones a checklist and a timer, set up a little physical or mental challenge for them to find certain items around the house, and let them enjoy the satisfaction of crossing out the found items from the list. Keep the items simple, everyday things like finding a particular book, a spoon, a toy car, etc. You'd be surprised how focused they become when given an assignment! Gives me some peace to prep meals or finish some work, haha!

49824185243_b80738b43d_m.jpg

If they really don't want to eat their veggies, just hide them! Grind/blend it in their favourite smoothies or mix it in dishes they can't resist. At least the fussy eaters get their nutrition without knowing!

Ah, the joys of parenting!

One tip I've found useful is to keep a stash of cheap, small toys and treats hidden in the house - think stickers, little cars, colourful pens etc. When the kids are driving me bananas, I whip out a surprise from this stash and it keeps them occupied for at least half an hour. Peace and quiet for me! Ha! Also helps to incentivise them to finish their meals or do some chores without a fight cos they know a "reward" is involved. Win-win situation!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu