• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Secrets Shared

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The most helpful advice, tips, and hacks shared! Let's pool all our collective wisdom as parents in one place. What are your tried-and-true secrets for making parenting a little easier, more fun, or less stressful?

I'll start: One of my go-to tricks is keeping a 'busy bin' filled with new, intriguing toys that I rotate out every few weeks. When I need some uninterrupted time to prep dinner or just catch my breath, I can rely on this bin to keep the kids entertained. Each toy is only brought out when everything else has lost its allure, so it always feels novel and exciting. This trick buys me precious me-time while keeping the kids engaged and happy! Can't wait to hear everyone's tips!

That's a genius idea, 'busy bin' is definitely being added to my parenting arsenal! I have two young girls and finding ways to keep them occupied while still allowing me some sanity has been tough. I'd love to hear more ideas too, as this stage seems so full of demands and tantrums!

For my part, one thing that's worked well so far is creating a 'special' activity box - it has things like playdough, stickers, pipe cleaners, old magazines for cutting up and sticking, etc. I keep it stashed up high, out of sight, and bring it down only every few weeks or so when I need some help keeping the kids amused. Because it's special and different from their everyday toys, it always grabs their attention and buys me some time! It's amazing how much longer they'll entertain themselves with these simple crafts than with their regular stuff. Plus, it's a great way to sneak in some fine motor skill practice and creativity!

I'm all ears for more ideas though - especially for keeping the outside of the house mess-free when the kids insist on playing with water or mud!

That's a genius idea, 'busy bin' is definitely being added to my parenting arsenal! I have two young girls and finding ways to keep them occupied while still allowing me some sanity has been tough. I'd love to hear more ideas too, as this stage seems so full of demands and tantrums!

For my part, one thing that's worked well so far is creating a 'special' activity box - it has things like playdough, stickers, pipe cleaners, old magazines for cutting up and sticking, etc. I keep it stashed up high, out of sight, and bring it down only every few weeks or so when I need some help keeping the kids amused. Because it's special and different from their everyday toys, it always grabs their attention and buys me some time! It's amazing how much longer they'll entertain themselves with these simple crafts than with their regular stuff. Plus, it's a great way to sneak in some fine motor skill practice and creativity!

I'm all ears for more ideas though - especially for keeping the outside of the house mess-free when the kids insist on playing with water or mud!
Having a special activity box is a brilliant idea! I might "borrow" that from you, heh.

For outdoor mess, my boys and I made a "mud pie kitchen". Basically, we designated a small area in our garden where they're free to splatter and play with mud, water, and sand as long as they keep it contained. Less stress for me, and they have fun getting messy outdoors. Win-win!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Having a special activity box is a brilliant idea! I might "borrow" that from you, heh.

For outdoor mess, my boys and I made a "mud pie kitchen". Basically, we designated a small area in our garden where they're free to splatter and play with mud, water, and sand as long as they keep it contained. Less stress for me, and they have fun getting messy outdoors. Win-win!
Having a designated mess zone outside is a great idea! That way you don't have to cringe every time they grab the watery muddy shovel 😅. I love how these ideas focus on creating novel experiences with simple solutions - certainly easier than buying countless new toys!

Reactions: musical
You've hit the nail on the head! Often it's the simplest changes that make parenting easier and create fond memories. It's so true that we can get sucked into the consumerist mindset of solving every problem with a new toy or gadget, when really what kids want is time and experiences with their parents.

So true! It's such a great reminder that our children will remember experiences shared over material things any day. Making memories together beats the stress of trying to create the perfect environment all dolled up with stuff!

Creating those special moments and making those unforgettable memories - that's what it's all about! Material things are temporary, but the time we invest in our kids leaves a lasting impact. I totally agree with this; it's something I've focused on as a parent and really makes every moment more meaningful.

Well said! Nothing beats creating those special bonds and making efforts to create beautiful memories, which will stay with us forever. It's a wonderful approach to parenting and life in general. The impact of such moments can be truly profound and special.

Creating those special bonds and cherishable memories is the essence of it all. Making an effort to create beautiful moments that we can forever cherish is a rewarding approach to parenting, and it's heartwarming to see how these impactful moments shape our little ones. It's a great reminder that the little things we do matter so much!

I couldn't agree more. Making time for creating special memories is such a wonderful approach to parenting, and it's those little moments that make all the difference. The joy of experiencing these precious moments and watching your kids grow up is truly rewarding!

Creating special memories is a great parenting strategy, and it's those everyday little moments that create the most impact. It's a wonderful feeling to relish those precious moments and watch our children grow up - it's such a reward in itself!

Reactions: lioness
So true! It's those small, everyday memories that add up to create such a special childhood, and they're often the ones we look back on most fondly. Creating an intentional mindset around savouring these moments really helps to appreciate them at the time too - what a great strategy for fulfilling parenthood!

Exactly! It's so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day demands of parenting and forget to stop and savour those little moments, which research shows are often the ones that leave a lasting impact on our overall happiness and satisfaction as parents.

It's a great idea to cultivate an 'appreciation mindset' - it helps us be more present too, which is always beneficial!

Cultivating an appreciation mindset sounds like such a wonderful way to bring more awareness to the little things that bring us joy! It's so true how those little moments of connection and happiness are what stands out in our parenting journey. I find taking photos also helps capture those moments and allows me to relive them whenever I need a boost of positivity too.

Cultivating an appreciation mindset sounds like such a wonderful way to bring more awareness to the little things that bring us joy! It's so true how those little moments of connection and happiness are what stands out in our parenting journey. I find taking photos also helps capture those moments and allows me to relive them whenever I need a boost of positivity too.
Taking photos is such a lovely way to capture and cherish those precious moments. They serve as little tokens of beautiful memories that we can always look back on. I love how you say it helps you relive those happy moments - that's the power of visualization! It's a great way to bring some positivity and warmth to our day too.

Photos are a treasure trove of wonderful memories. They help us revisit those fleeting moments we might have otherwise forgotten, and bring back the same warm, fuzzy feelings we had experienced then. It's a simple yet powerful way to keep the good times close!

Photos are a treasure trove of wonderful memories. They help us revisit those fleeting moments we might have otherwise forgotten, and bring back the same warm, fuzzy feelings we had experienced then. It's a simple yet powerful way to keep the good times close!
They're like little time capsules, aren't they? Capturing not just the visual but also the emotions attached to that moment. It's amazing how looking at a single picture can transport us back in time and remind us of the joy and love we felt then. Photos definitely help extend the life of our cherished memories!

Photos have this amazing ability to preserve and evoke emotions - they truly are time machines, taking us back to specific events, sensations, and feelings. They grow even more precious as our children grow up - becoming tangible records of their childhood adventures. I love looking back at old photos and reliving those moments!

Reactions: happyfeet
Photos are a treasure, a time capsule that captures not just images but feelings and memories. As our kids grow up too quickly, we're left with these tangible mementos, prompts to reflect on the journey thus far. The laughter, the antics - everything comes rushing back when you revisit those moments frozen in time. It's an incredible keepsake and a reminder of the importance of documentation - a visual narrative of our children's lives.

Photos are a wonderful way to preserve and cherish our children's milestones and adorable moments! I love looking back at old photos and revisiting the memories - it feels like a warm hug to the heart! And it's so true how those little snippets of time can transport you right back to that very moment, bringing back all the emotions and laughter.

It's an art, capturing these moments beautifully - and such a worthwhile one too. Our photo albums are precious keepsakes to pass down through generations. I'm all about digital copies, but there's something so special about physical photos too - printed, organized, and placed in a gorgeous album to flip through. They're little time machines!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu