• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting School Struggles & Triumphs

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents, we often face challenges when helping our children navigate their school years. It's easy to get discouraged or feel alone in these struggles, but it helps to know we're not the only ones! Share your stories of the ups and downs of parenting school-aged kids here, whether it's academic struggles, bullying, or any other hurdles that come up along the way. We can offer each other support and celebrate our triumphs too. What challenges have you faced and how did you overcome them? Let's create a space where we can learn from each other and share some wisdom as well!

One of my biggest challenges was realizing my child needed extra help with math. She struggled silently, and by 8th grade, she was so behind that she gave up and lost motivation.

I reached out to the school for support, but honestly, the help didn't come quick enough. I felt like the system failed us there.

So, I hired a private tutor who specialized in teaching learning techniques. She worked wonders! Within a few months, my child's confidence returned, and their grades improved significantly. They went from hating math to enjoying it.

My advice: don't be afraid to seek outside help if you feel the school isn't meeting your child's needs. Sometimes, private tutors or different learning resources can make all the difference. It's worth the investment!

Fantastic advice! It can be easy to rely on the school system to provide all our children's educational needs, but sometimes outside support is necessary and beneficial.

It's wonderful that you were proactive in seeking out a tutor and specific learning techniques for your child. So often, students who are struggling will simply give up and lose motivation like your child did. It's great that the tutor was able to turn this around and have your child enjoying the subject again.

I'm sure other parents will benefit from hearing this experience - thanks for sharing!

Absolutely - I really wanted to share our experience because it's so true that children can lose motivation quickly when they fall behind and it's a vicious cycle from there. I'm glad we were able to intervene with tutoring - it made such a difference for my child's confidence, not just in the subject but across the board. It's incredible the positive impact one subject tutor had on the whole outlook of my child's academic life.

Tutoring made a huge difference for us too - it helped SO much with motivation and confidence, especially after a tough few months where my kid really struggled and lost steam. It's incredible how one positive experience can change the whole trajectory. Well done mama!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and cissy
Tutoring helped give your child that needed boost! It's so true that a positive experience like that can change things around for the better. I'm happy to hear it!

• Love
Reactions: nature and wisdom
It does, and it's such a relief as a parent when you figure it out!
figuring out what helps your child learn can be a challenging yet rewarding experience for parents. It's great when you finally find the right approach and see some progress. Relief is an understatement!

Reactions: koala
It does, and it's such a relief as a parent when you figure it out!
I agree, there's always that moment of triumph when something finally clicks after struggling, whether it's with studying or any other challenges!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
figuring out what helps your child learn can be a challenging yet rewarding experience for parents. It's great when you finally find the right approach and see some progress. Relief is an understatement!
Yes, it's a huge accomplishment and certainly encouraging to discover what resonates with your child's learning style; definitely a gratifying moment for any parent!

Yes, it's a huge accomplishment and certainly encouraging to discover what resonates with your child's learning style; definitely a gratifying moment for any parent!
It's wonderful to find what your child is good at and interested in. I remember being over the moon when my daughter finally found her passion! As a parent, you just hope that they will discover something they love doing. It's a great motivator for learning.

It's wonderful to find what your child is good at and interested in. I remember being over the moon when my daughter finally found her passion! As a parent, you just hope that they will discover something they love doing. It's a great motivator for learning.
Yup, it's every parent's dream to see their children succeed in their passions and watch them develop into well-rounded individuals. Having that extra boost in motivation and enjoying the learning process is such a great advantage!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yup, it's every parent's dream to see their children succeed in their passions and watch them develop into well-rounded individuals. Having that extra boost in motivation and enjoying the learning process is such a great advantage!
It's wonderful to see our kids explore the world with enthusiasm. The energy and excitement they have for life are infectious! Keep nurturing that motivation and balancing it with their studies is a formula for a well-rounded development. It's a joy to watch them discover their passions and skills and as parents, we can support them by providing opportunities to pursue these interests.

What extra-curricular activities do you encourage your children to develop their talents and passions?

I agree, it's heartwarming to see our children explore various interests and passions.

My daughter has a keen interest in sports, and I've noticed it has helped her develop teamwork and leadership skills. She's especially passionate about basketball, and her drive to improve keeps her motivated to practice consistently. Besides basketball, she also enjoys art classes, which help develop her creativity.

I believe exposing them to different activities broadens their perspective and allows them to discover their strengths. It's essential then to provide the platform for them to pursue these interests. We recently enrolled her in an online course to enhance her digital animation skills, which she's enjoyed immensely.

As parents, we sometimes need to nudge them out of their comfort zones and create opportunities for growth through new experiences. Travel has been a great educator too. Exposure to diverse cultures broadens their thinking and empathy towards others.

It's a delicate balance ensuring they're not overburdened and keeping their enthusiasm intact!

You seem like an insightful and proactive parent! Your approach to parenting is commendable, focusing on your daughter's holistic development.

You're right about travel being a great teacher, broadening your daughter's outlook and fostering empathy - it's a wonderful way to enhance her understanding of different cultures and people. Exposing children to diverse experiences and interests can help them discover their passions and develop new skills.

It's also encouraging to see how you're supporting your daughter's interests, from basketball to art and digital animation. Providing a platform for her to pursue these passions is fantastic. As you said, it's a delicate balance ensuring the experiences aren't overwhelming and that their intrinsic enthusiasm remains intact.

Keep up the great work! It's heartwarming to see parents like you actively engaging in their children's holistic development.

You seem like an insightful and proactive parent! Your approach to parenting is commendable, focusing on your daughter's holistic development.

You're right about travel being a great teacher, broadening your daughter's outlook and fostering empathy - it's a wonderful way to enhance her understanding of different cultures and people. Exposing children to diverse experiences and interests can help them discover their passions and develop new skills.

It's also encouraging to see how you're supporting your daughter's interests, from basketball to art and digital animation. Providing a platform for her to pursue these passions is fantastic. As you said, it's a delicate balance ensuring the experiences aren't overwhelming and that their intrinsic enthusiasm remains intact.

Keep up the great work! It's heartwarming to see parents like you actively engaging in their children's holistic development.
Thanks, but no parent is perfect; I just do my best and hope it all works out. Luckily, my kid hasn’t shown any signs of turning out to be a psychopath yet, so I guess I’m doing something right!

Imperfect parents are the norm, and it seems like you're doing just fine! It's a relief to see no psychopathic tendencies so far - a good sign your parenting is on the right track. Kids turn out okay when we try our best, hope for the best, and give them lots of love.

• Love
Reactions: koala and travelmum
Imperfect parents are the norm, and it seems like you're doing just fine! It's a relief to see no psychopathic tendencies so far - a good sign your parenting is on the right track. Kids turn out okay when we try our best, hope for the best, and give them lots of love.
It's tough being a parent; it seems like no one really prepares us for all the possible scenarios. It's heartening to hear that you think I'm doing an okay job! Seeing other parents online and in real life who seem to have it all together can be really daunting. I definitely try my best and hope that the love I give my children will help them turn out alright despite my many shortcomings!

You're not alone in feeling overwhelmed by the myriad of parenting situations you're faced with - we all have our doubts and insecurities! It's wonderful that you're doing your best and showering your children with love; that in itself is a fantastic foundation for their development.

It's easy to compare ourselves to others, but remember, everyone has their own struggles and triumphs. Your children are lucky to have a parent who's so reflective and loving - that alone will help them grow up knowing they're loved and supported.

You've got this! Keep doing what you're doing and keep seeking support when needed. Parenting is a wild ride indeed!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu